Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Nov 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #46 of 346
Quote:
I'd really like a pair, but was wondering what the cheapest way to get one to California, USA would be...
Both ebay and amazon ship from japan for around $260-270.  Then there's the customs fees I have to worry about... 

Any advice?  Thanks

The markup is no doubt high, but even in the $300-ish price range I think their price is totally justified... As long as you know what you're getting. They're kind of bad for most genres, and so if you're buying them just to try them or something, you'd probably be pretty shocked by how they sound for most genres.

They're so, so delicious for folk, and other vocal-focus genres, though. There's a caveat there, too, I found out. I recently had a chance to try these out of my friend's Shiit Lyr, and they didn't sound nearly like they do out of my Little Dot I+. The mids set back a bit, and the ridiculous micro detail that I get on my setup completely disappeared. I think these need a transparent or solid state amp.

I think Dyaems mentioned these respond well to different amping, a while ago, but I couldn't test that claim. I find it to be true, now.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #48 of 346
My primary reason for wanting a pair, is its studio application; that people are describing it as transparent, neutral, and unforgiving

I just bought a pair of the mdr7550, which is supposed to be the american version of the mdr-ex800st (the cd900st's little brother), and I'll be working with these for at least a month before I pick up the 900

thanks for the response!
smile.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #49 of 346
the 7550/ex800st sounds different from the cd900st, the iems have meatier bass than the headphone counterpart, and i feel that the iem's midrange is less forward than the cd900st

and the cd900st is actually revealing, hehe...

i use a hybrid amp when i am using the cd900st before, a modded indeed G2 amp and it pairs really well using a T51 as a source. the G2 is fully modded and most things inside the g2 are replaced, including the tubes and the mosfet.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #50 of 346
Hehe it's nice people are still using the Teclast T51.

The EX800ST / MDR-7550 is a little mid-centric and designed as a vocalist monitoring IEM, from what I've read in a few places.  It's not strictly flat like several studio monitor speakers. 

I haven't heard it myself but I have heard the Sony EX700, EX600 and EX1000 which are all very very good and quite neutral and accurate IEM's, they are well respected as dynamic driver IEM's.

If you're an IEM lover the EX600 / EX1000 may not be for you though since they're more akin to a full-size headphone soundspace, lacking the typical inner-core of IEM's.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #51 of 346
hmm i will maybe get cd900st.

but today when i browsed the forum i found out sony MA900 is quite good.
a upgrade hd598 that i love so much.
they seems to have good mids for vocals.

so anyone have tried both ma900 and cd900?
is ma900 a open headphone of cd900?
which one is better for asia-pop, ballad, female vocal music?

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #53 of 346
If you really want cult studio headphones from Sony and very cynical audio equipment, then the CD900ST + ODAC/O2 is fine for you.  Still... you have a lot of alternatives for... ~$550?

For what they are 'designed to sound like nothing' the ODAC/O2 are not exactly cheap, nor exicting, nor good-looking.  You can get an entire Yamaha receiver and Pioneer speakers  with a Sony V6 for the same price, in the U.S.

The MA900 has nothing to do with the CD900ST, apart from Sony.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #54 of 346
the thing is iam using HD650 + Odac/O2
thats why iam wondering if it will sounds good with cd900st
i want to replace the hd650 with another headphone, find it kinda boring, like the mid of hd598 more

cause iam looking for a headphone good for Vocal music, and read that cd900 and ma900 is great for it, thats why i asked if anyone tried both and can compare it.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #55 of 346
How much of the sound is degraded using different pads? I find that the stock pads on the CD900ST are a bit thin. When I wear them, I love the headphones, but it feels as though my ears are too close to the drivers, as in I can feel my ear touching the metal. Maybe I'm just not wearing them right? Well, at least I don't mind it at all after I get immersed in the listening. Any recommendations for alternative pads? Or just a way to make them fit better?

Also, I'm rather new to the hi-fi world, but how much of a difference would and Amp + DAC make? The CD900ST doesn't seem like a hard to drive headphone, but I've been using them connected to my PC's sound card. A pretty old Creative Soundblaster one. It works really well, I can discern the difference between lossy and lossless with these headphones now. Still need to get better hearing though :D.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #56 of 346
/
cause iam looking for a headphone good for Vocal music, and read that cd900 and ma900 is great for it, thats why i asked if anyone tried both and can compare it.

Ah ok, I see, if you want a studio headphone great for vocal music consider the SRH-940 as well.

Also, I'm rather new to the hi-fi world, but how much of a difference would and Amp + DAC make? The CD900ST doesn't seem like a hard to drive headphone, but I've been using them connected to my PC's sound card. A pretty old Creative Soundblaster one. It works really well, I can discern the difference between lossy and lossless with these headphones now. Still need to get better hearing though :D.

Amp + DAC make a lot more difference than lossy versus lossless, IME.

I'm not sure how much differences it makes in the CD900ST, but the Sony V6 is quite transparent and sounds nicer with good equipment.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #57 of 346
Quote:
How much of the sound is degraded using different pads? I find that the stock pads on the CD900ST are a bit thin. When I wear them, I love the headphones, but it feels as though my ears are too close to the drivers, as in I can feel my ear touching the metal. Maybe I'm just not wearing them right? Well, at least I don't mind it at all after I get immersed in the listening. Any recommendations for alternative pads? Or just a way to make them fit better?

I've tried Beyerdynamic's DT250 pads on them, and they don't sound good at all. Mids fall out a bit, and the bass gets loose. I really couldn't hear anything that I'd consider to be an improvement. The fit sounds about right though. They can be a little bothersome for me, for extended use.

Amping can make a pretty big difference, and more expensive doesn't always equate to better sound. As I mentioned above, my friend's Lyr, a much more expensive amp than my Little Dot I+, really fails to capture the magic that the Little Dot I+ gives them. That ridiculous microdetail and mid range body just completely disappear.

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #58 of 346
IMHO the cd900st is one of those headphones that doesnt require modding or changing any pads except making its cable shorter which is optional. i once tried an angled j$ pads with it and it sounds like **** haha

**** like its not a cd900st sound anymore, mids are really veiled.

the only mod that i can think of is to use a sony V6 headband and gimbals?  so that the cd900st would be foldable, then again, it will also look bulkier =(

i have yet to put some internal dampening inside it as i feel (and hear) that there is nothing wrong coming out of the cd900st. i may put something to reduce resonance and reflections but that might wait till i get a second pair so that i can play around with the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back