Sony MDR-CD780 Ref
Jun 4, 2003 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BrooklynRick

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone head of these SONY MDR-CD780 REFERENCE HEADPHONES before? Any good? What do you think they are worth. I see they retail at $199. They look pretty sweet, but are they better than V6's? Or garbage like all the other cheaper sony headphones. Specs look good w/ 50mm drivers, 5Hz-30kHz. Worth $80?

Jun 4, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 6
The MDR-CD780 is probably competitive at $80, the current low price point for that 'phone. But at its original $199.99 MSRP price point, there are better choices out there.

Here's why: The MDR-CD780 is of the "closed-front, open-back" design, which means that the MDR-CD780's driver mounting plane is solidly closed, yet the back of its earcups is open. Thus, it behaves like open-air headphones as far as sound leaking out, yet behaves more like a semi-open (or semi-sealed) headphone as far as the sound presentation. And yes, the middle of the current-model MDR-CD### range of headphones loses points for being somewhat thin and bright in the sound quality.

Jun 4, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 6
I personally own them.
the bass is good and tight, the mids are fairly detailed, but once u get to the highs, they're rather earpiercing and very sharp. it's somethig that turned me off them completely. so I dont use them now. I'll stick to my pioneer se-700.

they are very comfy though, and great for being ear warmers in winter. they dont warm up all THAT fast, and the cord is quite a durable one.

but for 215AU I dont think it was worth it very much

Jun 6, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 6
I've had them forever, and I really like them, most comfottable headphone I've ever tried. bass is good, mids are there, highs are a little too obvious, but I really like them. Good for computers because they're easy to drive, plus the cord is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back