Sony MDR-CD580/CD780
Dec 18, 2001 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Search function!

And you'll find how most everyone only likes the MDR-CD3000's out of that line, and a few discontinued models like the MDR-CD1000 and the MDR-CD1700, with some people giving some vague consideration to the 380's I think, if they are desperate...

Dec 18, 2001 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 10
If you search at www.headwize.com you'll find a few comments here and there about these, but no full blown reviews. I have listenend to the MDR-CD380 and 180 but not the 580 or 780. The 380s sound ok, somewhat bright and not much bass extension, but clearly better than V600. They are comfortable and nice looking, but nothing special enough to warrant the (imo) high retail prices. If they were priced about half of what they are now they might be worth considering. Actually now that I think about it the sound of the Labtec Elite-840's remind me quite a bit of the MDR-CD380s. So while they are definitely not as bad as standard crappy headphones, they are not as good as the other headphones that get recommended here in the same price range.

Jan 5, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum, although I have been following it for a while now. I saw that one of the favourites here is the Sony MDR-V6, in the cheaper price range. I would gladly buy it, but unfortunately it's not available here in Hungary. I only see these MDR-CD things. Now do you think that the CD580 is any good, or should I just forget about it? I listened to the CD480 today, and to me they sounded crap. The CD780 is too expensive, so I figured the 580 might be a better choice. I would primarily use them for listening to mp3s on my computer (sb live, I know it's low quality). Also I would use them with a synthesizer, and with a rather low quality music center. Are there any Sennheisers that would be good for this purpose, or maybe others? Someone recommended that I should look at the Technics RP-F800 too, but again they aren't available here, and I couldn't even find any info on them. Does anyone know about it?

Jan 5, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 10
The HD497 is a rather new model right? And are the other headphones you mentioned in the same price range? Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 10
They are all in a different price range, but two sources, one of which is really really really reputable, says the HD497 is great, better than the HD495's, easier to drive, etc. etc.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Any new info on the HD497? Oh and Gluegun: those Philips headphones you recommended, are they open? 'Cause from my little knowledge on headphones, open gives a better sound, no? The Beyer DT250-80 is closed as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back