Sony MDR-CD3000 best for this setup?
Jul 23, 2003 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jb4555

New Head-Fier
Hey whats goin on everybody.

Forgive me if this isnt the right section to post in, but my quandry seemed to fit into the "Headphone" section the most.

Im a real new guy to these forums.After listening to my music with crap for so long, I short time ago I purchased a pair of Grado SR80's and caught the headphone bug.I am very happy with the phones, but this forum really makes you wanna upgrade more and more, and so here I am. My main gripes with the Grados are the normal ones...darn uncomfortable and sometimes brittle highs. Plus I felt like there was more I could be hearing.

Anyhow, so for my dorm room this coming semester I have decieded to splurge on a pretty decent system. I want to use my computer becuase I can not afford to build a seperate setup for my audio, plus I dont have the space for it.

Here is what I am planning on having.
M-Audio Revo or Audiophile - (not sure on which since it has been said that the digtal out on the Audiophile is better, but I am also planning to use this card with my Logitec surround sound system which I am very happy with)

Art DIO DAC - Have heard sparkling reviews of this DAC. With the many modifications that can be done, I think this is a great deal and will give me great sound.

Meta with stacked buffers or Meta mint - I wanna have a portable amp too, so I might just get the Mint first and then save for the better Meta later. Or will the difference be negligable between the two amps?

Finnaly, my headphone question. This is the only part of the setup I am not really sure on. I have read mostly great reviews of the Sony MDR-CD3000 on this forum, and it seems like for the upper price range (well way upper for me) it is the best. Am I missing something? A HD600 plus new cables would be like over a $100 more than the CD3000. The Audio-Technicas (W1000, A1000) look gorgeous but seem to fall slightly behind the Sonys in reviews. I dont wanna go down the Grado path again. Do you think I would have the same harsh highs with the Sonys that I find in the Grados? Plus, I really need closed headphones becuase I will have a roomate and dont wanna bother him with my music.

Would this class of headphones be able to work to their full potential on the setup I am thinking of? Please tell me if you think my money could be better spend on other items?

Again, I am sorry if this question is in the wrong spot. Mods please move if necessary.

Thanks

Jul 23, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Purk, a member here listens to the CD3000s with a META amp, but I think a big key here is which op-amp to use...

IIRC he has had good results with OPA637s...

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 8
I currently use my CD3000 often out of my Powerbook ->M-Audio Sonica -> META42 (AD843KN Opamp) and I really enjoy it.

I also have the HD600/ Cardas and I used to own the W1000.
Currently the CD3000 are my favorite - they are well balanced and extremely detailed.

I use the CD3000 more than the HD600 right now, because I need the closed phones (I use it near a TV)... although at this point I prefer the CD3000s anyway.

I've ordered a couple of differnent opamps (opa637 and opa602) and can't wait to hear them - they supposedly have a more laid back sound as the CD3000 can sound harsh with certain recordings.

You will be very happy with the CD3000, I'm sure.

Good luck,

Tim
PS. Use the modified Sennheiser pads or vwap pads on your Grados and you will likely find that those brittle highs are smoothed away. You will experience a new appreciation for your Grados!!!

Jul 23, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 8
A simple question which kind of music are you planning to run on those? If is rock, CD3000, for others you can add also the HD600 with those cables, on the list, and them find out, but for rock I do not reco the senns....

Jul 23, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Thats a problem. I will be listening to a lot of stuff. Yes, rock is a staple of mine, from hardcore/metal to indie stuff, but also electronic music (trip hop, drum and bass), hip hop, a little jazz, basically everything. I really never listen to classical, but would just to see how the CD3000s sound.

Jul 23, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi,

I recently added the cd3000 to my setup. I have slightly similar tastes as you . I highly recommend it, 110% Don't let the price scare you, once you hear what they sound like, you will justify the means, and I'm sure if they broke, you'd want the same pair (no they won't break, i hope not, but my point is they are that good!). I recommend you get 2 amps, like you suggest. I don't think you want to walk around with the sony's, they are huge. I would use those for your dorm room, then get something like er4p for around campus. Ideally, you should have both types of phones, so you can have some options : ]

Good luck, enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back