Sony MDR-AS100
Apr 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

newtophones1

New Head-Fier
I searched the forums, and could not find anything about these headphones. The Sony MDR-AS100 are claimed to “feature a shock-absorbing mechanism for uninterrupted sound during workouts.” When I use the earphones I have (JVC FX 33 and 34, and the Sony EX85) on the treadmill, I can hear pounding in my ears as I run. I thought this would happen with any type of earphone that creates a seal in the ear, but maybe these AS100 solve the problem.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 4
Not that you care now..... but I just bought these headphones new from the sony outlet store in seattle. GREAT DEAL. instead of the $100 retail price, I paid $25 for new ones... and then took off 30%. A great deal. Probably the best sounding headphones i've ever bought for under $20. The shock thing works.... I had the JVC FX33 and FX55s... both had the cord noise issues... I found that with the 33s you could wrap the cord above your ear and it would eliminate the noise, but shorten the cord. These sony's should stay in place without too much cord noise. They seem fine so far. Like I said before, they sound great for the money. Much like the a standard IEM from sony but more secure with the headband. Definitely an interesting design.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for posting Stabilo! I was actually looking to get a pair of phones for the gym and running, sounds like these may be the choice if they actually work and are cheap.

Too bad I'm moving on Sunday though, I don't know if I'll be able to run up to the outlet and pick up a pair.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, I managed to acquire a pair today. My quick impression on the sound is that they are pretty mid-centric. Highs and lows don't seem to extend too far. treble is smooth, not sharp or fatiguing. Bass has decent presence, I personally would like more but it's not too bad. I think most people with be satisfied with the quantity though. Supposed frequency response is 8-25000 Hz, I don't know how they measured and how much lee-way they're giving but certainly that's not a reasonable freq response on these. The soundstage is pretty small. Reasonable clarity, but they're not meant for analytical listening anyway.

They stay in my ears pretty well, they're really light and though I haven't gone running for long with them yet, it feels like they will stay in place.
It has a 2ft cord (with a clip on it) with an extension of 2 more feet included. Small, Medium, Large tips are provided. There is also a hard carrying case, it's essentially the size of the headphones. It's made to hold the phones in a certain position and there's a thing to spin your cable around in the center.

All in all, I think it's a pretty good deal if you're looking for a pair of exercise in-ears. I snagged them for just short of $19 after tax here at the Seattle Sony outlet, where they go for $25 regularly and there's a 30% off deal on headphones now.

I'll take pictures and stuff if there's anyone interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back