Sony MDR-7520
Nov 24, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2,131 of 2,535
  to me what makes me keep my 7520 as my on the go rig is that the artificial bass hump is actually perfect at compensating for the surrounding noise while on the out and about.  The extra bass makes up for what you lose in road/plane/train noise, etc.  It takes me a little time to adjust to their signature coming off my LCDs and T1/5ps where at first they sound bloated in the bass but once I leave the house they sound just right.  So at least for me the bass emphasis is actually what I need on the go.

I'll second that emotion.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2,132 of 2,535
as per the quote below, then why isn't the 7520 a more popular headphone?
you'd think it would come in close to the ubiquitous senn hd600 or so.

or am i wrong: is it in fact a very popular headphone?
dunno...just seeking answers...i haven't receive mine yet (in the mail from
the netherlands) but am most looking forward to trying it out.

Quote:
It's very interesting to see people consider 7520 much more clean / detailed, tighter, faster sounding and less distorted than Nad Viso HP50, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH1540, etc.. which measure almost perfectly on paper.

Even Steve Guttenberg when he reviewed them said the 7520 were tighter / faster / more detailed than HP50 or SRH1540 - go read for yourself here -http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-mdr-7520-headphone ...

Also to point out - if these measurements are correct, one would need to drive them with very low impedance - this may very well explain why some people did hear them bass boosted...

I even wonder if Tyll hadn't measured their little brother - 7510 and or completely different headphone, rather than the real 7520...

Do you guys realize that if 7520 had no sense of accurate, deep bass (up to the lowest octave) and / or the the midrange / highend was somehow wrong, it just wouldn't translate?
smily_headphones1.gif

Why would even Jude regard them as his preferred closed-back headphone?

Tyll should definitely give them a try again before writing such conclusions...

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,133 of 2,535

everything is really just a flavor of the month these days, good or bad it doesn't much matter. i think comfort is where a lot of people were turned off by them and the fact that at the time of release there were a ton of other hot items coming out that grabbed all the interest. timing i would say.  they also had some restrictions in europe.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,134 of 2,535
question, seasoned fellow audiophiles:
how does the ath m70x compare to the sony 7520 in sound?

previous to stumbling across the sonys i'd tried a number of closed cans,
one pair of which were the ath m70x,  largely due to it's reputation
of being a more balanced and neutral monitor

....but overall i was a bit disappointed and found them too bright
esp in the treble...again, i'm a newbie here, but those were my impressions.

actually of the closed portable cans I tried that day,  
**admittedly all thru my lowly nano**,
(ath m50x, ath 70x, vmoda m100, nad hp50, psb m4u2, B&O h6, denon ah mm400,
it was the sennheiser momentum 2.0 (over ear) that i liked the most.
...and i know it's tuned for the consumer, so will be interesting to see how the sony
compares.

and yes i am considering a more robust and musical source: but unsure of to go either dac/amp
from my phone or buy a separate Dap ie fiio x3 or ak jr...wish they had wifi for streaming, however
hope we'll see more of that in the future.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #2,135 of 2,535
Canali, can't help you on the m70x comparison.

I did listen to a momentum the other day and it's clarity was sub par. This was out of Sennheiser headphone station at BestBuy, so not the best source but the HD558 next to it was much much better (though it's bass wasn't very good). I owned the HD555 many years ago and so I could tell that there as nothing wrong with the headphone setup at bestbuy as the 558 sounded great, just the momentum was tubby sounding. :frowning2:

I think I'd have to give it a bit more of a listen and I don't think it was the second gen momentum. The smaller momentum was worse.

For a closed headphone I've never been happier. This is after many many closed backs - mdr7506, akg k271, hd25, Amperior, srh840, Denon ah-d600 to name a few. Typically, I'd say there are trade offs with headphones in this price range but the 7520 handidly beats out most 'pro' headphones and consumer headphones that I have heard. I'd like to spend some more time with Focal Studio Pros, PM3 as well as listen to ones I haven't heard as yet such aS ZMF Vibros, Alpha Dogs, and Ether C.

I'm exceedingly happy with these, especially as this evening I took them apart to finally tackle the squeaking I had from the internal gimbals. Took a bit to figure out how to get the pads off (best to grab them from inside and push outward). The 7520 has a simple but sturdy construction internally.

Happy to report that most of the creaking issues are now resolved. Also, as of late, this headphone has become more comfortable to the point where I enjoy using it at work where it isolate quite well; well enough that I can barely hear my coworker next to me when he is on the phone.

Just really impressed with this headphone. I'd rank it up there with the venerable HD650 as it just has a presentation that you can engagingly listen to all music types yet without fatigue. Superb all rounder.

Listening to Handel / London Baroque - Emma Kirkby, not something that would typically work well on a closed headphone but was quite sublime.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #2,136 of 2,535

Hi again....i guess i wasn't clear on that one off hand testing of headphones last wkend...wasn't aware of sony 7520 at the time.
...and idon't intend to look at something else, unless i'm considering selling the 7520, after i get it and listen to it.
anyhow, the momentum 2.0 over ear was, from what i'd read, supposedly an improved
version both in fitting and tuning and housing placement.

for now am considering various ways to both enjoy they 7520 (and my iems) on the road as well as at home
ie looking at various dac/amp options ie iFi micro or dragonfly etc....or just get a good DAP.

....but more and more i'm loving live streaming via spotify (and most daps, at least for now only the $$$ ones
dont offer wifi, so streaming is out).. I enjoy the variety and exploring new venues
without having to buy the material....so in that case android/dac/amp would be better...still mulling it over

decisions!

the cans should be here in 2 weeks...will be interesting to se how to sound via my mapletree audio (mad) ear purist + tube head amp.

Quote:
Canali, can't help you on the m70x comparison.

I did listen to a momentum the other day and it's clarity was sub par. This was out of Sennheiser headphone station at BestBuy, so not the best source but the HD558 next to it was much much better (though it's bass wasn't very good). I owned the HD555 many years ago and so I could tell that there as nothing wrong with the headphone setup at bestbuy as the 558 sounded great, just the momentum was tubby sounding.
frown.gif

I think I'd have to give it a bit more of a listen and I don't think it was the second gen momentum. The smaller momentum was worse.

For a closed headphone I've never been happier. This is after many many closed backs - mdr7506, akg k271, hd25, Amperior, srh840, Denon ah-d600 to name a few. Typically, I'd say there are trade offs with headphones in this price range but the 7520 handidly beats out most 'pro' headphones and consumer headphones that I have heard. I'd like to spend some more time with Focal Studio Pros, PM3 as well as listen to ones I haven't heard as yet such aS ZMF Vibros, Alpha Dogs, and Ether C.

I'm exceedingly happy with these, especially as this evening I took them apart to finally tackle the squeaking I had from the internal gimbals. Took a bit to figure out how to get the pads off (best to grab them from inside and push outward). The 7520 has a simple but sturdy construction internally.

Happy to report that most of the creaking issues are now resolved. Also, as of late, this headphone has become more comfortable to the point where I enjoy using it at work where it isolate quite well; well enough that I can barely hear my coworker next to me when he is on the phone.

Just really impressed with this headphone. I'd rank it up there with the venerable HD650 as it just has a presentation that you can engagingly listen to all music types yet without fatigue. Superb all rounder.

Listening to Handel / London Baroque - Emma Kirkby, not something that would typically work well on a closed headphone but was quite sublime.

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,137 of 2,535
Read my review of the 7520 linked in my signature below where I compared them (briefly) to some other headphones I was trying out.  And otherwise search this thread for any of my posts, have given commentary on other headphones compared to the 7520 as well.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2,138 of 2,535
Just ordered a pair from B&H to replace my stolen MDR-7506 (hope i never run into that guy) as my portable cans! Can't wait to get them!!

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #2,139 of 2,535
  Just ordered a pair from B&H to replace my stolen MDR-7506 (hope i never run into that guy) as my portable cans! Can't wait to get them!!

A word of advice. If you expect the 7520's to be just a 'better' version of the 7506's you're likely to be disappointed. There really are very different sounding cans, but they are also vastly superior. Give yourself some time to adjust to the much warmer, neutral, but at the same time more detailed and revealing sound if your initial impressions are not favourable.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #2,140 of 2,535

A word of advice. If you expect the 7520's to be just a 'better' version of the 7506's you're likely to be disappointed. There really are very different sounding cans, but they are also vastly superior. Give yourself some time to adjust to the much warmer, neutral, but at the same time more detailed and revealing sound if your initial impressions are not favourable.

I have been anticipating this and actually quite look forward to it! Plus the 7506's were stolen months ago so there sound isnt exactly fresh in my mind

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2,141 of 2,535
now just settling on a dac/amp to run the cans (or iems) from my laptop
...might have a good price on the iFi micro DSD...but i must admit: despite
this product getting rave reviews (being compared to the $$$ hugo) i probably
wouldn't be able to fully appreciate all that it can offer....still learning.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #2,142 of 2,535

Hey Canali,

You don't need to rush to buy a dac/amp. This headphone will sound very very good out of your mobile device and likely even your laptop. Unless your laptop is really flaky with it's audio, you may not need to buy a USB dac/amp. 

These are incredibly efficient and easy to drive. While they can handle large amounts of power it really doesn't require it unless you want to play at extreme ear damaging volumes or want to do drastic EQ changes (like elevating the bass by 6 or 12bd). 

My recommendations, spend some time with them sans amp/dac and go from there.

For some dac recommendations I can vouch for JDS Labs C5D which is great for IEMs and some more demanding dynamic cans. They also have their new Element, and sell their build of the O2/ODAC which I'm very satisfied with. www.jdslabs.com/

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,143 of 2,535

Thought I would chip in quickly, don't post much as I should now days but it is good to see this thread sailing along again at a reasonable pace. 

Don't rush as other poster Malfunkt said, although it is easy with Christmas feeling to self indulge on treating yourself to some goodies! 

If you can enjoy them with the laptop for now that would be great but the 7520's will scale well with better components in the chain. 

iFi is a very good little micro dac (I've never compared it to Hugo as there is no comparison to be had for me) but there is also the Mojo for the money which is in iFi price range has very good SQ although not quite as detailed as the Hugo has a slightly warmer approach to it with more bass presence, very musical still and for money is worth considering.  

I know if I feed the 7520's with my laptop which is a Win10 HP X360 Spectre compared to any reasonable dac/amp it will sound very sub standard as the 7520's have plenty of detail to offer which I know laptop cannot manage alone then again I was surprised how much sound difference getting a better usb cable made over the bog standard stock cable supplied with my Hugo which has made a difference. 

If you do take one step at a time in the chain you will hear the improvements more clearly over time as you go along or if you have that Cyber Black Christmas feeling just go for the dac & amp for your laptop straight away with your 7520's will be singing whilst having a Merry Head-fi X-Mas ; )

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2,144 of 2,535
hey everyone, finally got my sony 7520 delivered today.

only had my nano  (yeah, stop laughing) to hook it up to for a brief listen
(Rush 'the anarchist')....
anyway, i was worried that with it being a 'neutral' can
it would sound bright like the ath m70x i had once  tried.
...but my fears were unfounded..great bass., well rounded.
I did have 'rock' as the eq setting...tried it on flat too.
(wish in the nano sound settings there was the smile setting as default)

can only imagine how they'll sound once I start listening out of a better source.

hell i'm so naive when it comes to new audio/digital esp when you add streaming
and all the terminology of different files flac, etc....i naively complainedin various posts 'why
don't all daps offer wifi so i can enjoy my spotify' ..duh on my part...seems there is much
more to it than that as per different modes of bit transmission etc.

so will looking into a device that will allow me to enjoy music on the go
(instead of my nano) esp with streaming being my main mode of listening ...the only 'ripping'
i'd done before was in itunes to my nano....sold alot of my cds...prefer
to be free of things and 'cloud based' or streaming based.

so i guess i'll still look into the newer phones coming out 
ie lg v10 or samsung galaxy s7...or Fiio x7.

and will keep learning on what i need to know.

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #2,145 of 2,535
I have used my 7520 with a Sansa clip zip a ton and it sound great. No need to stress about better source with these (as long as the source is half decent) IMO. These are very efficient.
They have a nice bass boost that make them authoritative without making them sounding muddy (handy feature to compensate outside environments) and are non fatiguing for long sessions as they lack a bit of air up-top. Something I wish they had sometimes but the non fatiguing aspect is one I have learn to appreciate with time.
The bass aspect is really nice on these and they indeed reach low sub bass though they have a bigger boost that start around 70hz to my ears. As long as you have a good seal with these you will enjoy the bass. Mids on them are there! ( which is something a lot of cans lacks these days ), thus making them quite articulate retrieving a lot of details. 

They lack a bit of soundstage width and can have difficulties with complex passages (which is 90% of the time fault of the recording or quality of the track you use). They can feel congested on occasion but it is a closed can after all... I personally have no comfort issue with it, and the creaking sounds was a 5 minutes repair done on it with a bit of silicon lube (traxxas 50k) on the hinges, no sign of them for 2 years with daily use. 
Also they sound great at low volumes and take EQ with no problem.

Overall those are great cans a bit colored on the bottom end but is plain fun with a relatively neutral signature that I enjoy. 
Again don't stress too much about your source with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back