Sony MDR-7520
Nov 10, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #2,116 of 2,535
me too... now let's see the goods :wink:

absolutely hated throwing the useless coiled cable out for the connector and even tried to reuse the connector before that which was a failure.  every time i am out with these something lightly snags the cable (my shirt collar or something dumb) and pulls out the cable from the top which is total pain in the ass to deal with and kinda embarrassing an otherwise enviable experience.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,119 of 2,535
Wow just got the cable today and it is mighty impressive!  Perfect fit only thing is it is pretty hefty perhaps I should have ordered a lighter gauge wire.  Sound is solid though, very strong deep bass and accurate highs.  I recommend taking it back a few gauges though to prevent it being heavy against everything it hits like your jacket zipper shoulder etc

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #2,120 of 2,535
just won these off of ebay for 182 euros...'used but like new'.

while i'm no audiophile, I do like a more neutral-ish,
balanced and detailed set of cans.

2 questions:

for now when at home, I will run these from my computer.
..would the audioquest dragonfly 1.2 match up well...or other?

i understand they're low sensitivity and so, if on the road,
they should work fine thru my smartphone or nano
...still considering a portable amp/dac for them.
but that cord looks a bit heavy and cumbersome...any other
quality cords to consider instead while portable?
thanks

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #2,121 of 2,535
just won these off of ebay...while i'm no audiophile

I do like a more neutral, balanced and detailed set of cans.

question:  for now when at home, I will run these from my computer, when listening to them.

..would the audioquest dragonfly 1.2 match up well?

Yeh they're not too hard to drive and will work fine with mobile devices although the coiled cable they come with is a bit heavy for portable use. I just used an old beats by dre remote cable when out and about.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,122 of 2,535
just won these off of ebay.

while i'm no audiophile, I do like a more neutral-ish,

balanced and detailed set of cans.

2 questions:

for now when at home, I will run these from my computer.
..would the audioquest dragonfly 1.2 match up well...or other?

but that cord looks a bit heavy and cumbersome...any other
quality cords to consider instead while portable?
thanks

You will get little to no benefit with a portable DAC/amp. These are very easy to drive.

Get a replacement cord as the coiled is more for studio use. I can't use these mobile because of issues with creaking. Also they have ports which don't interact with the wind very well. But that isn't what I got them for. Absolutely one of my favorite closed cans.

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #2,123 of 2,535
thank guys

for walking around i'll have my sony xba h1  iems...
(though I listened to the newer dunu dn 2000j yesterday
and might p/u those...wow..the detail and resolution is something).

for the sony 7520 they'll be mostly used for stationary chilling...
sitting down and enjoying some music.
ie coffee shop with airpad ... or at home.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2,124 of 2,535

Hey Canali, thought I'd respond to you in the forum as this info could be of benefit to others looking into the 7520. 

You had asked how these might stand up to the HD800 as well as discussed getting the Fiio X5.

I have had a couple occasions to listen to the HD800 and it is an incredible headphone. It is superior to the 7520 overall, but they are designed for quite a different purpose than the 7520.  You will find on this page http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7520-Professional-Studio-Headphones/product-reviews/B004Z58VZ2, a review from an owner of an HD800 who compares the 7520 very favorably. I've read the same on head-fi as well, with another HD800 user praising the detail retrieval of the 7520. As far as amp requirements go, if you have a decent smartphone, you will have no problem powering the 7520.

As far as myself getting the HD800, I have a pair of LCD-2s, and as much as I would like the HD800, I can't rationalize having two open sets of cans. In my opinion, the LCD2 is still world class. Right now, I just want to enjoy them rather than looking for the next best thing - which from my experience would likely just be a side-grade unless I was spending thousands which I'm not prepared to spend. 

You will find a number of comments of those who are involved in studio production as engineers who regard the MDR-7520 very favourably to even their high-end studio monitors. Typically, this isn't a sound signature most people would particularly like, as consumers have become used a to a 'sweetened' or exaggerated frequency tonality in speakers and headphones. The studio sound can be described as flat. It is a bit dry sounding, but it allows you to hear deviations in all of the frequency areas. It gives you a baseline. It is akin to having a color calibrated monitor for design or photographic work.

Even with studio monitors, the lower bass range can be under emphasized. This is remedied by active sub-woofers or the design of the speakers and enclosure. The idea of neutrality in headphones is still up for debate. What needs to be considered is that bass, in a room space, is magnified - and felt. So even the very flat line frequency response of my LCD2 are not quite natural to what would be heard. That would go for many headphones, including the HD800. Now, its not a huge deal, as your brain acclimates to the sound and it is a bit recording dependent (as there are a range of tastes in the mastering of audio). 

The MDR-7520 is a headphone, that I feel gets bass properly represented in balance. In my review I discuss this, and even as a I write this I'm listening to an impeccable classical recording that the bass does not interfere. If I was to play something that required that lower range, such as electronic music, the bass would be well represented and enjoyed. 

As far as DACs go, you will find so many opinions, but you will also read in the Sound Science area of Head-fi, that some of these super expensive DACs, don't audibly (and this is the key word here) perform better than the cheap $8 chips found in a smartphone. It isn't what most audiophiles want to hear. Same with cables. So you may not even need the Fiio X5, but get it if you like the idea of having a separate system from your phone. What is important are transducers. Spend your money on that first, then amp, then dac, and maybe cables (for utility). Dynamic headphones like the HD800 and HD650 are going to require amps to sound their best. But the amp requirements, again in my opinion and some others on head-fi, are dramatically overstated.

File format is also important and first part of the 'chain', and I primarily listen to FLAC, but not because they sound better than a 320kpbs MP3. With MP3, just make sure you are using LAME encoder for best quality. I use FLAC as it allows easy translation to a compressed format in the future if needed. Also, while I have some 24bit files at 96khz or higher I honestly think the whole hi-res music format is one of the biggest jokes in the history of audio. There is no discernible audible difference and 16bit and 44.1 is more than adequate for our human ears. What is important is the recording quality of the actual music. This will depend on many factors. To this end, this is where my LCD2 will shine over the 7520, in reproducing the best dynamic recordings (ie. not pop music that has no quiet parts thanks to heavy dynamic compression and limiting).

Ultimately, the 7520 can compete with some top-of-the-line cans, just because of its presentation. While in some technical aspects the 7520 will be beaten, the overall tonal signature of the 7520 is one that find is near-perfect for pro use while still being very enjoyable. I've also listened to the Focal Studio Pro, which are excellent, but a different take on the studio sound. They are also not designed so much for large ears. The Oppo PM3 are another recommendation, though the bass impact was a little light, you may want to look at these. 7520 + DAP is the price of the PM3. PM3 is more comfortable, spacious sounding and more laid back while remaining neutralish. PM3 also doesn't require any additional amp or fancy DAC. It is designed to sound great right out of a portable.

My recommendation for the 7520, is when you get them, take a couple weeks to get used to them. Listen to a wide range of music, even stuff you are unfamiliar with. Research what are some of the best recordings out there and take a listen. My only other recommendation is that if you don't need a closed headphone for home use, consider a headphone like the Fidelio X2 or Sennheiser HD650. I owned the HD650 and I'd say it is one of the best introductions to audiophile sound. For some on head-fi, it is still their top of the line headphone after all these years, again because of their presentation and not necessarily their technical specifications. The Fidelio X2 may be a match for it in many ways and it produces a bit more bass quantity, which is good as the 650 is a bit rolled off, and the X2 is very easy to drive. It also is a bit more comfy and the build is more premium. They could be your second cans to the 7520 as an open headphone will always sound different than a closed can.

Looking forward to your impressions!

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,125 of 2,535
many thanks, malfunkt:

appreciate your detailed and insightful reply.

this whole area of 'flat' or 'neutral' cans/iems is an interesting one.
is it any different from a highly skilled cook (lets' call him the artist here)
who takes great care and effort selecting his best beef  from the local butcher
and serves up his 'musical piece' to a customer...only to have the customer 'colour' it by adding
some freshly ground pepper...or some salt...or a touch of whatever sauce?
does the cook even care, as long as the customer enjoys it and can appreciate his efforts
and artistry overall?

i am sure that there are artists/cooks and others out there who'd prefer
that the end result of what they're producing at hand be listened to 
or eaten as it is, in its original and unadulterated form....but I wonder if just as many don't mind
if you tweak it a bit here or there to pull out and savour a particular instrument
(or flavour) just a bit more, as long as you're enjoying their work and supporting their livelihood.

i mean there are so many things that we colour each day: the food we eat,
the pics we take fiddling with light (all those filters, lenses and f stops)
the music that we listen to, the thoughts we think.

still learning about, experiencing and thinking about this whole ''coloured vs neutral'' game.
I also sometimes think (incorrectly and simplistically, of course) of Plato's 'the cave' about what is real and ideal.

Quote:

Hey Canali, thought I'd respond to you in the forum as this info could be of benefit to others looking into the 7520. 

You had asked how these might stand up to the HD800 as well as discussed getting the Fiio X5.

I have had a couple occasions to listen to the HD800 and it is an incredible headphone. It is superior to the 7520 overall, but they are designed for quite a different purpose than the 7520.  You will find on this page http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7520-Professional-Studio-Headphones/product-reviews/B004Z58VZ2, a review from an owner of an HD800 who compares the 7520 very favorably. I've read the same on head-fi as well, with another HD800 user praising the detail retrieval of the 7520. As far as amp requirements go, if you have a decent smartphone, you will have no problem powering the 7520.

As far as myself getting the HD800, I have a pair of LCD-2s, and as much as I would like the HD800, I can't rationalize having two open sets of cans. In my opinion, the LCD2 is still world class. Right now, I just want to enjoy them rather than looking for the next best thing - which from my experience would likely just be a side-grade unless I was spending thousands which I'm not prepared to spend. 

You will find a number of comments of those who are involved in studio production as engineers who regard the MDR-7520 very favourably to even their high-end studio monitors. Typically, this isn't a sound signature most people would particularly like, as consumers have become used a to a 'sweetened' or exaggerated frequency tonality in speakers and headphones. The studio sound can be described as flat. It is a bit dry sounding, but it allows you to hear deviations in all of the frequency areas. It gives you a baseline. It is akin to having a color calibrated monitor for design or photographic work.

Even with studio monitors, the lower bass range can be under emphasized. This is remedied by active sub-woofers or the design of the speakers and enclosure. The idea of neutrality in headphones is still up for debate. What needs to be considered is that bass, in a room space, is magnified - and felt. So even the very flat line frequency response of my LCD2 are not quite natural to what would be heard. That would go for many headphones, including the HD800. Now, its not a huge deal, as your brain acclimates to the sound and it is a bit recording dependent (as there are a range of tastes in the mastering of audio). 

The MDR-7520 is a headphone, that I feel gets bass properly represented in balance. In my review I discuss this, and even as a I write this I'm listening to an impeccable classical recording that the bass does not interfere. If I was to play something that required that lower range, such as electronic music, the bass would be well represented and enjoyed. 

As far as DACs go, you will find so many opinions, but you will also read in the Sound Science area of Head-fi, that some of these super expensive DACs, don't audibly (and this is the key word here) perform better than the cheap $8 chips found in a smartphone. It isn't what most audiophiles want to hear. Same with cables. So you may not even need the Fiio X5, but get it if you like the idea of having a separate system from your phone. What is important are transducers. Spend your money on that first, then amp, then dac, and maybe cables (for utility). Dynamic headphones like the HD800 and HD650 are going to require amps to sound their best. But the amp requirements, again in my opinion and some others on head-fi, are dramatically overstated.

File format is also important and first part of the 'chain', and I primarily listen to FLAC, but not because they sound better than a 320kpbs MP3. With MP3, just make sure you are using LAME encoder for best quality. I use FLAC as it allows easy translation to a compressed format in the future if needed. Also, while I have some 24bit files at 96khz or higher I honestly think the whole hi-res music format is one of the biggest jokes in the history of audio. There is no discernible audible difference and 16bit and 44.1 is more than adequate for our human ears. What is important is the recording quality of the actual music. This will depend on many factors. To this end, this is where my LCD2 will shine over the 7520, in reproducing the best dynamic recordings (ie. not pop music that has no quiet parts thanks to heavy dynamic compression and limiting).

Ultimately, the 7520 can compete with some top-of-the-line cans, just because of its presentation. While in some technical aspects the 7520 will be beaten, the overall tonal signature of the 7520 is one that find is near-perfect for pro use while still being very enjoyable. I've also listened to the Focal Studio Pro, which are excellent, but a different take on the studio sound. They are also not designed so much for large ears. The Oppo PM3 are another recommendation, though the bass impact was a little light, you may want to look at these. 7520 + DAP is the price of the PM3. PM3 is more comfortable, spacious sounding and more laid back while remaining neutralish. PM3 also doesn't require any additional amp or fancy DAC. It is designed to sound great right out of a portable.

My recommendation for the 7520, is when you get them, take a couple weeks to get used to them. Listen to a wide range of music, even stuff you are unfamiliar with. Research what are some of the best recordings out there and take a listen. My only other recommendation is that if you don't need a closed headphone for home use, consider a headphone like the Fidelio X2 or Sennheiser HD650. I owned the HD650 and I'd say it is one of the best introductions to audiophile sound. For some on head-fi, it is still their top of the line headphone after all these years, again because of their presentation and not necessarily their technical specifications. The Fidelio X2 may be a match for it in many ways and it produces a bit more bass quantity, which is good as the 650 is a bit rolled off, and the X2 is very easy to drive. It also is a bit more comfy and the build is more premium. They could be your second cans to the 7520 as an open headphone will always sound different than a closed can.

Looking forward to your impressions!

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #2,126 of 2,535
for me the 7520 is no where near neutral, but more of a bass lovers can with also very extended highs. a bit of a u i guess... oh and they are also good for people who like it loud as they can be driven to obscene levels with no breakup on even an iphone.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,127 of 2,535
  for me the 7520 is no where near neutral, but more of a bass lovers can with also very extended highs. a bit of a u i guess...

great..i like the 'u' or smile curve in an EQ sequence

i do like detail...this said, however, i hope they're also 'musical', too...and not too analytic.

i did try, for example, the ath m70x the other day, seeking more neutral-ish cans
...but found them a bit too bright.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,128 of 2,535
for me the 7520 is no where near neutral, but more of a bass lovers can with also very extended highs. a bit of a u i guess... oh and they are also good for people who like it loud as they can be driven to obscene levels with no breakup on even an iphone.

It is indeed a bass lovers can. Bass that doesn't wreck the rest. And yes, there are cases in which I'd define my lcd2 as more neutral - such as field recordings where the bass is too much on the 7520 (but it is good from an engineers perspective of being able to hear hums and unwanted pop).

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,129 of 2,535
To add on to all this, they are also amazingly clear in the mids.  And yeah, the bass doesn't bleed over at all.

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #2,130 of 2,535
to me what makes me keep my 7520 as my on the go rig is that the artificial bass hump is actually perfect at compensating for the surrounding noise while on the out and about.  The extra bass makes up for what you lose in road/plane/train noise, etc.  It takes me a little time to adjust to their signature coming off my LCDs and T1/5ps where at first they sound bloated in the bass but once I leave the house they sound just right.  So at least for me the bass emphasis is actually what I need on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back