Sony MDR-7520
Feb 5, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #1,936 of 2,535
Only if they fit your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

if they don't not sure anything will...

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #1,937 of 2,535
Has anyone compared these to the Beyer DT250-80ohm? They both have similar designs and are closed dynamic phones marketed towards studio use and durability. I would think the Sony LCP drivers would sound better than the Beyer and they cost about $100-150 more than the $199 Beyers. Also the Sony's are angled drivers.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,938 of 2,535
Has anyone compared these to the Beyer DT250-80ohm? They both have similar designs and are closed dynamic phones marketed towards studio use and durability. I would think the Sony LCP drivers would sound better than the Beyer and they cost about $100-150 more than the $199 Beyers. Also the Sony's are angled drivers.

I used to own the beyers as well as the sonys. Imho, the beyers are not in the same league. Good lower to mid can though soundwise.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #1,940 of 2,535
With nothing playing I thought it had pretty average isolation, it wouldn't be my first choice for use on a bus or plane. However when music is playing at normal listening levels you can't really hear anything except really loud noises or people yelling.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #1,942 of 2,535
  How does it compare to the Shure SRH1540 (in terms of isolation)?

I don't have the Shures, but I can attest to the 7520's isolation. I wear them while reading in bed. My wife is a lite sleeper and I have had to return other sets( like the Beryer DT-660s) because they leak. 

The 7520s are not a problem which is surprising for a set with light clamping force. The drivers do sit close to the ear which probably cuts down on the need for a high clamp force. The only downside is the soundstage suffers because of this. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #1,943 of 2,535
  How's the 7520's isolation? If you are listening to quiet classical music, for example, can you hear outside noise? I tried searching the thread, but didn't get conclusive results.

I have used them on long airplane flights. They do not offer sufficient isolation for classical music for me in such a noisy environment. You can still hear the drone of the engines clearly which will drown out quieter passages. To put this in perspective, I have never found anything other than an in-ear monitor or a true noise canceling headphone that was sufficient for airplane use.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #1,944 of 2,535
While the 1540s did not fit my big head as well as the 7520s, once i managed to get a good seal i found the 1540s to have better isolation (as well as better sound). Basically the 1540s earcups have a better size and depth but the 7520 has the better headband imo.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #1,946 of 2,535
  How's the 7520's isolation? If you are listening to quiet classical music, for example, can you hear outside noise? I tried searching the thread, but didn't get conclusive results.

You're not going to get anything like a definitive answer to this because A. people have different perceptions of what good isolation actually is, and B. no two people hear the same or have the same shape ears and head. But, IMO the 7520's isolate well. They are designed for use in studios where the purpose of a closed back headphone is to provide isolation from outside noise as well as to not spill sound to microphones when tracking. In that context, and for general music listening when you don't want to be distracted by outside noise, they isolate very well. They don't isolate well enough to provide a quiet listening environment in extremely noisy circumstances like an underground train or a smaller plane - only noise cancelling hp's will provide that, but they would be sufficient IMO for a quiet high speed train or a large long-haul airliner.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #1,947 of 2,535

Interesting, considering that the 1540 is not renowned for isolation.

Yeh i wouldn't say either has amazing isolation but i found the 1540s isolation better than what the reviews would have you believe. Keep in mind i have a huge head so there was probbaly extra pressure from the headband to help. I think the sonys did not isolate as well due to the the shallowish earcups, the mesh inside the cups pressed on my ears which may have prevented the pads from getting an optimal seal. The 1540s cups are much deeper so i had no issue there.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,949 of 2,535
Any experience with the Garfield Headphone Softies? They are a set of soft velour headphone earpad covers, sold at B & H. Might these be simple and efficient covers for the 7520 pleather?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368310-REG/Garfield_SGARHS1_Headphone_Softie_Earpad.html

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,950 of 2,535
  So I think I like these 1840 pads on the 7520 with certain types of music. I mean, they're terrible for isolation, but I like the comfort of the velours, my ears don't really get hot wearing them.

And in terms of sound, it definitely opens up the soundstage and mellows out the bass significantly (a bit on the bass-light side perhaps), which I'm starting to like on some types of music. The bass would sometimes sound a bit boomy when using the 840 pads (not the 1840), but with the 1840 pads that's completely gone. And the sound is a bit drier, as apposed to being wet (on the 840 pads the sound is definitely on the wet side). So on acoustic music, it sounds quite nice actually. On electronic music it sounds a bit better with the 840 pads, as those emphasize the bass a bit more. But I like the dryness of the sound, meaning that most soundwaves get absorbed by the velours and don't end up bouncing around the pads a bit before entering your ears. This seems to improve instrument separation a bit.

Next up, I think I'm going to try the 940 pads, since those are velours as well, but designed for a closed headphone. So maybe they'll isolate a bit better, and might end up putting the bass response between the 1840 and 840 pads (hopefully, as I suspect that'll be my sweetspot for bass response).

Apologies. I've just read this post and wondered if anyone had tried the Garfield Headphone Softies. They are simply covers, requiring no removal of the original ear pads. They are sold by B & H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368310-REG/Garfield_SGARHS1_Headphone_Softie_Earpad.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back