Sony MDR-7520
Sep 29, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,711 of 2,535
..if I had to take just one pair for everything it would be the 7520's.

I like to hear that, as these are exactly that for me, though browsing this forum has given me a craving to hear those Z7s and I'm really interested in hearing the KEF M500 and Thinksound On1, as well. I don't think I'll indulge any such impulses for at least a year or two.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,712 of 2,535
  I was looking at getting the Z1000 pads for these as they are deeper and found them more comfortable than these 7520 pads but trying to find Z1000 pads is like golddust even though the so called official supplier Sony refer you to for their parts centre has them for a crazy price and does not show you any picture or the model headphone it is for just their own cat number so very pessimistic they would arrive as the correct ones.  

I think you have that backwards. If I recall correctly, the 7520 pads were slightly larger than the Z1000s.

Nope, I had it the right way round to start with, I owned both at the same time and the pads on the Z1000 were fuller deeper & firmer pads and the little bit extra was enough that my ears do not touch the grille like they do with the 7520's which can sometimes be irritating after a long session with them on.  

I was debating to swap the pads when I sold the Z1000 but was to honest Joe not realizing how hard it would ever be to acquire genuine Z1000 pads in the future at the time.  I will look at one of the alternate pad mods mentioned on here sometime in the future also. 

I like to hear that, as these are exactly that for me, though browsing this forum has given me a craving to hear those Z7s and I'm really interested in hearing the KEF M500 and Thinksound On1, as well. I don't think I'll indulge any such impulses for at least a year or two.

These certainly have; if the 7520's only pair to take with you, with the blend of been easy to drive with a fairly compact size still for a headphone which sound good with a portable player but it's not until you plug it in to a capable high end headphone amp/dac you get to hear what these cans are capable of sounding like.   If only they found some magic formula to make the soundstage nice and wide with a sense more space would be great but have to try and remember these are a studio monitor after all.  

Z7's have got my eyebrow raised if Sony have a sale before Christmas! Lol

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,713 of 2,535
I use an Apogee Duet 2 audio interface. It is a professional recording interface; not a dedicated headphone amp per se, but I think it does a pretty nice job--the onboard DAC is definitely top notch but I don't know about its HP amp specs. I also have a NAD D 3020 integrated amp in my living room, which has a dedicated headphone amp, but it's not really conveniently placed for HP listening. Maybe I'll come to next year's LA meetup and check out some of your fancy HP amps.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,714 of 2,535
I found this post from a Head-fier re: the Duet 2:

If you were using higher end headphones, like the HD600 or K701 open headphones, or something that had very high current needs, like a Denon, a better headphone amp might be needed.  But, the internal headphone amp on the Duet 2 is actually very good, as it uses very low distortion op-amps (the chips that do the amplification), the Texas Instruments OPA1612 to be exact, which is much better in quality than what is in many under $400 amplifiers anyway.  I notice a difference between the built in amp and the Duet 2 combined my portable Meier-Audio Stepdance (which uses 5 single-channel OPA1611 in a special configuration), but the difference is not night and day, and the Duet 2 actually is the warmer sounding amp of the two, with the Stepdance being more clinical and better-controlled in the bass regions, and both being capable of similar levels of clean output with a nice, three-dimensional soundstage.  My point is, that while you may benefit from an outboard headphone amp, the Duet 2 is fine for the headphones you have.  My experience with the Duet 2 is that it is even capable of powering the AKG K701's and Sennheiser HD600's very nicely, even though it isn't as good sounding as the Stepdance with my Sennheiser HD598, which seems to want a bit more control in the bass regions than the Duet 2 gives it.  The headphone out of the Duet 2 is very neutral in my opinion, but has enough warmth to not sound clinical, and when driven within reason, is very clean as well.  I hope this helps.

--Eric

Sounds like I could do much worse and probably am not in desperate need of a dedicated HP amp.

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,715 of 2,535
The Duet 2 has a 30 ohms output impedance which means that it's a very bad match for the 7520.
Since its output impedance is actually higher than the headphones (24 ohms) it will provide no damping at all.

Generally you should have a damping factor of at least 8, which means a <3 ohms output is required for the 7520 to sound their best.
With a 30 ohms output impedance, it's really made for headphones with an impedance of 240 ohms or more.

Even something like a Schiit Magni ($99) with its 0.1 ohm output could make a worthwhile improvement.
It's not necessary but would definitely help reduce distortion and tighten up the low-end.

An output impedance of 30 ohms generally means that the headphone output was an afterthought.
You frequently see 30 ohms or greater on AVRs which were not designed with headphone use in mind, for example.

I'll link to the Benchmark whitepaper on "0-ohm" headphone amplifiers again, since their testing used MDR-V6 (60 ohm impedance) compared the differences in distortion and frequency response at 0.01-ohms and 30 ohms: http://test.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/sites/default/files/Headphone-Amplifier-Performance-Part-2.pdf

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,716 of 2,535
Well, that's a fairly convincing argument. I wonder how I'd integrate my Duet with an outboard HP amp. The duet uses a breakout cable which allows for one stereo out connection only, which is going to my powered monitors. I need to split that output somehow. I know a lot of ways to do it, but it could get clunky.

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #1,717 of 2,535
Yeah, none of those small portables (Babyface, Duet (2), Forte, Track16, etc.) have a lot of redundancy. It must be a pain if one of them doesn't line up spec wise. Thanks for the post, Studio Sound. I didn't know that before!

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,718 of 2,535
Oh yeah. I also have a NAD D 3020 with a discrete headphone amp that has been praised by some--though it isn't the sort of specialized piece of kit that Head-fiers clearly favor. I'm not having an easy time finding its impedance rating, though. Anyway, it's not a viable permanent solution for my studio setup, but it might be a convenient way to compare performance.

Unfortunately, unless there is a decent HP amp that can be inserted between the Duet's HP out and the HP itself, my best long term solution might be a headphone that pairs better with my interface. I love my Duet. And I like simplicity.

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,721 of 2,535
  Buyers be aware of the condition's note, in this case it's a 8+, meaning it my have some light scratches here and there and may be some tiny tears in the padding.
Still a very good deal.

An 8+, I highly doubt that. I bought one 2-3 weeks ago from B&H rated at 8+ for the same price and the headphone was mint and like new including the pads. Only thing that gave it away as used was the creaking on the left gimble which means the coiled cable has put the stress on it from use. Also the box is marked used in a big sticker but the box did show wear. Of course YMMV

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,722 of 2,535

An 8+, I highly doubt that. I bought one 2-3 weeks ago from B&H rated at 8+ for the same price and the headphone was mint and like new including the pads. Only thing that gave it away as used was the creaking on the left gimble which means the coiled cable has put the stress on it from use. Also the box is marked used in a big sticker but the box did show wear. Of course YMMV

You are probably right, especially if the box is included.
I would definitely buy it at this price it might be the best closed headphone one could ever buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back