Sony MDR-7520
Sep 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,696 of 2,535
Been A/Bing these with some Grado ps500e's and ultrasone pro2900's - 2 cans that are renowned for their detail and the 7420's are right up there with them as far as detail retrieval goes - remarkable since they are closed phones that retail for near on half the price of the other 2 in the test. Comfort on them is better on the 7520 as well - these are desert island phones for sure. They give up a little in airiness being closed but you forget about that after a while when listening to them cause they just sound so correct. Great cans.

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,697 of 2,535
Been A/Bing these with some Grado ps500e's and ultrasone pro2900's - 2 cans that are renowned for their detail and the 7420's are right up there with them as far as detail retrieval goes - remarkable since they are closed phones that retail for near on half the price of the other 2 in the test. Comfort on them is better on the 7520 as well - these are desert island phones for sure. They give up a little in airiness being closed but you forget about that after a while when listening to them cause they just sound so correct. Great cans.

That sums them up very well!

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,698 of 2,535
Have not been around these parts for a while for one reason or another and had been meaning to do a review of the 7520s as reason I got them was to see if they ironed out the imperfections of the Z1000 cans I had but have just not had a chance to get around to doing this as I like to go into a review in depth when I do one.  

I had my 7520's modded also with a Whiplash cable feed to both cups as one of the bottle necks on the one cable design as good and tidy as it looks compromises on an even performance so had it feed to both cups to by pass the headband cable.  Seems Sony have realised with the new design of the MDR-Z7.  

Anyway, another thing I have not got around to and shamefully have not had time to swat up the last 100+ pages yet even though I am hoping to soon is to swap the ear pads out for something else.  

I was looking at getting the Z1000 pads for these as they are deeper and found them more comfortable than these 7520 pads but trying to find Z1000 pads is like golddust even though the so called official supplier Sony refer you to for their parts centre has them for a crazy price and does not show you any picture or the model headphone it is for just their own cat number so very pessimistic they would arrive as the correct ones.  

So just wanted to know if anyone knew where to get hold of Z1000 pads easily or any other alternative pads which are comfortable that fit the 7520's?

Although I have pictured the ZX1 (Japanese version) with the 7520's I do not use them together unless the ZX1 volume trick is engaged which raises volume ceiling even more for these.  

off to read 100+ pages now if i do not get disturbed by the wife!

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,699 of 2,535
Cheers Jude... was you after at the London meet who persuaded me to try them after having the Z1000's! 

Intrigued to see what you think of the new Sony flagship Z7 cans when you do a review despite my long term target now been a pair of Grado PS1000e with a Chord Hugo!  

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #1,701 of 2,535
  Jude, has already spoken on the Z7.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728006/sonys-new-flagship-2014-mdr-z7/1020#post_10912035

Cheers, gradually catching up with things on Head-fi. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,702 of 2,535
My initial reservations about the 7520s came after listening to just a few tracks. First I listened to one of my own more recently finished mixes, and right away I felt the bass was bloated. Compared to them, my 7506s sounded better to me, with a much airier sound. Then I listened to a couple tracks from Beach House's Teen Dream. I picked up some nice detail and stereo imaging, but I still felt like the bottom end was crowding the top out. That was the end of that first mini-audition.

Later on, I had some time to myself to really dig in. I listened to a variety of stuff, including a couple mixes in progress. Again, the bass was too much, but after a couple tweaks things were sounding better than ever--of course, how those mixes will translate on your average speakers is important, and you don't want a bass heavy sound to trick you into pulling out too much low end. But the sound was great: definitely more detailed and 3D than the 7506s with the kick drum tamed a bit and some low end carved out of the guitar tracks. Then I listened to several songs from some favorite artists, and as has been reported by others in this thread, the bass can be really nice or really bad--and this was not just a function of how bass heavy I knew a song to be going in. The Beatles' "Come Together" is totally dominated by bass, and the 7520s presented this track more exquisitely than I've ever heard it. Seriously--go listen to it now. The detail and girth in McCartney's bass is just incredible, with the Rhodes and guitar floating perfectly above. Truly sublime. "Strawberry Fields" and "The Magical Mystery Tour" were also wonderful on these phones. Another highlight was "Rabid (Over You)" by The Damned. The bass sounded so perfect, so palpable, and perfectly balanced with everything else. Every instrument could be heard in fantastic detail.

So I had some really great moments with these cans last night and you can say I'm definitely warming up to them. As some have suggested, the 7520s may simply reveal low frequency elements that are poorly mixed or EQd. On the other hand, I suppose it might accentuate certain lower frequencies that, if present in a recording, make the bass bloated and unpleasant through the 7520s. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt for the moment and suppose the former case is true, but only time will tell for sure. These are certainly interesting phones to explore and it's going to take me some time to fully evaluate them. Hopefully they'll prove to be a really valuable tool for making sure the bass sits just right in my mixes.

One thing that prompted me to buy some new phones and start browsing this forum was that just before my 7506s broke (driver wire went bad but I put a solder band-aid on it), I bought some new loudspeakers that have been blowing my mind (KEF LS50). They are super detailed and I've been enjoying the hell out of them as much as possible. But ultimately my circumstances are such that I spend more time listening to music through headphones. So I decided to spend a bit more on something that would offer a similarly revealing presentation. The 7520s definitely do that. I notice textures and anomalies I hadn't noticed before in songs, and the stereo imaging is really great. I think these are keepers.

I'm definitely tempted to try out the DT-250 pads--more for the sound, because I think someone mentioned that they tamed the bass a bit and opened up the top end, which sounds appealing. But I also love the feel of velour, so that could be a nice bonus.

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,703 of 2,535
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting these cans. I just love detail and I have a few other sony high end products that I am just super happy with. Also, I found the reported-comfort and size/look appealing I just wanted to get an understanding of the soundstage. I had the K550s and they had amazing soundstage for closed cans. Based on what I can see the soundstage width is nothing to write home about on these cans but others have said that it will reproduce the depth of the sound field of the recording accurately. So I jsut thought I would ask for people to write specifically this aspect of the headphones. Let me clarify: by soundstage I understand it as the 3dimensional world of sound aspect that the headphones create. CHeers!

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #1,704 of 2,535
Yes, both of those things. I was going to say that a lot of what folks call "burn in" might really be just getting used to a different sound.

I also have two pairs - hence my comment that there wasn't much change. I think most of the 'burn in' effect is psychoacoustic, as with most headphones.

I would have normally agreed with you that "burn-in" is people just getting used to the sound, but I have two pairs of 7520 here. (picture from when I tried the Alpha Pads)
One which has been used several hours a day for almost two years now, and one which is the same age, but unused. I tested them both when they were new, and the second pair went back into the box. I then tested them about a year ago to see if there were any differences, and was surprised by the results.
Yes, I liked the 7520 so much that I bought a second pair when it seemed like they were being discontinued - removed from sale in Europe due to stupid laws because of their high sensitivity and power handling.

While the pads may contribute, I also swapped the pads over when I tested them after about a year and there was still an obvious difference in the frequency response. A tighter low-frequency response rather than the initial somewhat bloated-sounding bass, and smoother high frequencies.
After the Alpha Pad experiment recently, I ordered a pair of new Sony pads for them, and they did not really change the sound either - not that I expected them to. There's still a difference between the well-used and unused 7520 even though they sounded the same when new.
I ordered the replacement pads, not because I needed them, but because trying the Alpha pads made me realize how much I do like the stock ones, and did not want to find that they were unavailable if I did need replacements.

And I think it's a testament to how good these are that I haven't had any problems with my current pair other than one of the joints creaking, which was easily fixed by opening them up and applying some lithium grease to the joint.
I think that's the longest I've had any pair of headphones without encountering some kind of real problem, whether it was the earpads splitting, the cord becoming brittle and one of the channels going out (I'm looking at you Grado) finding them uncomfortable to wear, too heavy for all-day use, or finding that I am unsatisfied with the sound and start looking for something better.

They use a standard 3.5mm jack, so if the cord ever did need replacing, it's easy to do.
While I like the coiled cord, I do understand why people might prefer a straight one.
It's a shame that Sony do not sell the long & short straight cords that the Z1000 came with, because I'd prefer to have the locking connector if I did replace the cord, and there are times where the short cord might have been useful - I just used another 3.5mm cable instead.

I was looking at getting the Z1000 pads for these as they are deeper and found them more comfortable than these 7520 pads but trying to find Z1000 pads is like golddust even though the so called official supplier Sony refer you to for their parts centre has them for a crazy price and does not show you any picture or the model headphone it is for just their own cat number so very pessimistic they would arrive as the correct ones.  

I think you have that backwards. If I recall correctly, the 7520 pads were slightly larger than the Z1000s.

[...] right away I felt the bass was bloated. Compared to them, my 7506s sounded better to me, with a much airier sound. Then I listened to a couple tracks from Beach House's Teen Dream. I picked up some nice detail and stereo imaging, but I still felt like the bottom end was crowding the top out. That was the end of that first mini-audition.

Maybe EQ them at the beginning if you really think it's necessary (I didn't) but they honestly do change over time, and that bass really does tighten up and the treble smooths out a bit. (without losing its detail/resolution)
The overall sound does not change so much that I'd say you should keep them if you simply don't like them at all, but the two changes I mentioned are very real, and the headphones seem to respond very well to EQ if you want to try that.

I don't know what your other equipment is, but another thing which contributes to the LF response, and made quite a difference was when I upgraded from using the headphone output on my devices to getting a dedicated headphone amplifier. In my case, I bought the Benchmark DAC2 HGC.
You shouldn't need to buy anything that high-end, but a good amplifier with a low output impedance (<3 ohms) should help tighten up the low-end even further, and it's really nice to have a DAC/amplifier where there is no background noise at all, at any volume.

Here is their whitepaper on the subject, testing with Sony's MDR-V6 and Sennheiser's HD650: http://test.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/sites/default/files/Headphone-Amplifier-Performance-Part-2.pdf

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,705 of 2,535
+1 - i also noticed considerable change of sound after 40 hours listening. cleaned up tighter bass and smoother highs. just all around a flatter more accurate easier listening response.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,708 of 2,535
StudioSound, I bought a second pair for exactly the same reason, but when I did my comparison the first pair only had around 100 hours on them. Probably I would notice more difference if I compared the used pair with the new pair now, but it's all relative. Yes, the changes are real, I totally agree, but as you said the overall sound doesn't change that much - definitely an improvement, but not a character change. I have to say though that I think these are really good headphones. I don't have so my phones, but I have a number of the usual suspects, including the HD800's, and if I had to take just one pair for everything it would be the 7520's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back