Sony MDR-7520
Sep 15, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #1,667 of 2,535
^^^
I don't follow. Are you referring to that boom cable they have? I have the one with the small inline microphone, and I know they also have a plain cable, although it's a bit longer. The SpeakEasy cable I have is the perfect length. Just north of 4'

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,669 of 2,535
Wow, I accidentally this whole thread.
basshead.gif

Not every single word, though.

I ordered my 7520s at around page 30.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,671 of 2,535
Thanks for the tip! I can't imagine spending $45 on earpads, but I'm quite familiar with slippery slopes..

This is basically an upgrade from 7506s and I was never really bothered by those. I put in pretty long hours with the cans on.

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #1,673 of 2,535
  Thanks for the tip! I can't imagine spending $45 on earpads, but I'm quite familiar with slippery slopes..

This is basically an upgrade from 7506s and I was never really bothered by those. I put in pretty long hours with the cans on.

Reading this thread it's very easy to get the impression that the pads on the 7520's are very uncomfortable and everybody is trying alternatives, but I think the reality is that it's only a minority of people on here who are doing this, and in the real world it's probable that no one is. The 7520's are sold mostly as professional headphones. Pro musicians have neither the time nor inclination to mess around modding their gear; it either does the job (including issues of comfort), or it doesn't.

Just try them. You'll probably find them more comfortable than the 7506's.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #1,674 of 2,535
get the beyerdynamic 250 velour pads... save yourself the 45 other ear pad options once you realize the stock pads are a bit uncomfortable.

I disagree - the 7520 with the stock earpads are the most comfortable over-ear headphones I have used.
The only reason I sought out replacement pads is because I prefer real leather to pleather which has a tendency to disintegrate over time.
Sony are using quite thick pleather here so maybe that is not going to happen. I've had my 7520 for two years now without any issues.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #1,675 of 2,535

Reading this thread it's very easy to get the impression that the pads on the 7520's are very uncomfortable and everybody is trying alternatives, but I think the reality is that it's only a minority of people on here who are doing this, and in the real world it's probable that no one is. The 7520's are sold mostly as professional headphones. Pro musicians have neither the time nor inclination to mess around modding their gear; it either does the job (including issues of comfort), or it doesn't.

Very well said, I totally agree. And I'll add my own opinion: this thread was a whole lot better before the modding theme took over.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,676 of 2,535
Pro musicians have neither the time nor inclination to mess around modding their gear; it either does the job (including issues of comfort), or it doesn't.  

Things are quite different in my corner of the universe. Not only do a lot of us mod our gear but we sometimes build it ourselves. I've built a few fx pedals and modded many more. I fix stuff myself when possible. Some of us are pretty DIY with our gear.

Edit: I guess "pro" is the operative modifier. I don't make a living at music. Still, there are pros who tinker out there and many more who pay someone else to customize.

My 7520s should be delivered today. Looking forward to pluggin' 'em in tonight!

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,677 of 2,535

Things are quite different in my corner of the universe. Not only do a lot of us mod our gear but we sometimes build it ourselves. I've built a few fx pedals and modded many more. I fix stuff myself when possible. Some of us are pretty DIY with our gear.

Edit: I guess "pro" is the operative modifier. I don't make a living at music. Still, there are pros who tinker out there and many more who pay someone else to customize.

My 7520s should be delivered today. Looking forward to pluggin' 'em in tonight!

Congrats on buying a great headphone. As for the pads, the stock pads are great. Stick with them if you like them.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,678 of 2,535

get the beyerdynamic 250 velour pads... save yourself the 45 other ear pad options once you realize the stock pads are a bit uncomfortable.

I disagree - the 7520 with the stock earpads are the most comfortable over-ear headphones I have used.
The only reason I sought out replacement pads is because I prefer real leather to pleather which has a tendency to disintegrate over time.
Sony are using quite thick pleather here so maybe that is not going to happen. I've had my 7520 for two years now without any issues.

I am on that side. The stock pads are comfortable. I love the beyerdynamic 250 velours over pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back