Sony MDR-7520
Sep 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,651 of 2,535
My Alpha Pads arrived today, and I didn't have any problems fitting them on my 7520 at all.
When fitting them, take care to put the lip over the thick section of the plastic and work your way around the rest of the earcup.
This way you aren't risking stretching them out at all - perhaps that is why they were a bit loose for some people?

They definitely sound different with the Alpha Pads - I should probably have waited to see more results from people before ordering.
They do sound more spacious - you definitely get a better sense of the room when listening to music with them.
It does change the sound signature in ways which I'm not too fond of though - more high frequencies (which the 7520 didn't need) and less mid-bass.

However, I have always said that the 7520 are very conducive to to using equalization - even though I don't normally use any - and this really emphasizes that point.
I would have to spend a bit more time with it to have them sounding as they did before, but you can just EQ back the lower frequencies without any noticeable distortion.

The fit is a little strange with the Alpha Pads - I normally have the headphones at 5/6 notches depending on how they're sitting on my head, and the Alpha Pads push that out to 9/10 and put a bit more pressure on your head.
Despite putting a bit more pressure on your head, I actually find it's easier for them to slip off, which is a problem I've had with other headphones but not the 7520 with the stock pads.
The pads are well made, and even though I did not have a problem with the originals, the extra room is nice. I think I'd prefer something in-between the two really, and flat pads rather than angled.
What I really want is just the original pads made out of real leather. I just find it more comfortable, and longer-lasting.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,652 of 2,535
My Alpha Pads arrived today, and I didn't have any problems fitting them on my 7520 at all.
When fitting them, take care to put the lip over the thick section of the plastic and work your way around the rest of the earcup.
This way you aren't risking stretching them out at all - perhaps that is why they were a bit loose for some people?

They definitely sound different with the Alpha Pads - I should probably have waited to see more results from people before ordering.
They do sound more spacious - you definitely get a better sense of the room when listening to music with them.
It does change the sound signature in ways which I'm not too fond of though - more high frequencies (which the 7520 didn't need) and less mid-bass.

However, I have always said that the 7520 are very conducive to to using equalization - even though I don't normally use any - and this really emphasizes that point.
I would have to spend a bit more time with it to have them sounding as they did before, but you can just EQ back the lower frequencies without any noticeable distortion.

The fit is a little strange with the Alpha Pads - I normally have the headphones at 5/6 notches depending on how they're sitting on my head, and the Alpha Pads push that out to 9/10 and put a bit more pressure on your head.
Despite putting a bit more pressure on your head, I actually find it's easier for them to slip off, which is a problem I've had with other headphones but not the 7520 with the stock pads.
The pads are well made, and even though I did not have a problem with the originals, the extra room is nice. I think I'd prefer something in-between the two really, and flat pads rather than angled.
What I really want is just the original pads made out of real leather. I just find it more comfortable, and longer-lasting.

try the beyerdynamic 250 velour pads if the alpha pads change the sound too much. i like what each ear pad brings in sound change. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,653 of 2,535
try the beyerdynamic 250 velour pads if the alpha pads change the sound too much. i like what each ear pad brings in sound change. 

I really don't like velour pads, but thanks for the suggestion.
I tried reversing the Alpha Pads, since the 7520 is already angled in that direction, and it does let them sit a bit flatter/closer to my head that way, which makes them more comfortable.

After maybe a couple of hours of use though, I just don't find the headphones comfortable with these pads on - it creates too much pressure for me.
Swapping out the Alpha Pads for the originals reminded me just how much I do like them - I've always said that the 7520 is one of the most comfortable circumaural headphones that I have used, and I have them on for hours every day, for almost two years now.

I bought the Alpha Pads because I'd like leather pads for the headphones, rather than needing more comfort from them or wanting to change the sound.
Unfortunately I don't suppose anyone would be interested in purchasing a pair of very lightly used earpads, so it feels like money wasted.

Since these pads fit the 7520, and you're suggesting that Beyerdynamic pads fit too, I wonder if the Auray Leather Pads I originally wanted for them would fit after all. Unfortunately it doubled the price of the pads to ship them over here, last time I checked.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,655 of 2,535

Baby Got Back!

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,656 of 2,535
How many of you guy's 7520 have a creaking left gimble? And how loud is it? Mine seem to be incredibly loud, I take it as a result of the coiled cable putting stress on the joints... 
confused.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,657 of 2,535
  How many of you guy's 7520 have a creaking left gimble? And how loud is it? Mine seem to be incredibly loud, I take it as a result of the coiled cable putting stress on the joints... 
confused.gif

Here is your solution:

Just tie some string around there which will tighten it up. It will not swivel smoothly anymore, but it will definitely not creak anymore either.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,658 of 2,535
Here is your solution:
Just tie some string around there which will tighten it up. It will not swivel smoothly anymore, but it will definitely not creak anymore either.

Alternatively, open them up, apply some lithium grease (or other plastic-safe grease - not a spray!) to the joint and forget about it.
I did this to one of mine back in January and it hasn't been a problem since. The other didn't need it.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,660 of 2,535
I use a V-Moda cable, works great and is short enough for portable use. I found locking connectors that fit the socket, they are the kind used by Sennheiser and Sony for their Wireless Body Packs. Next week I will solder this to the V-Moda, and that will be my straight cable for now. Too bad Sony is not adding a comparable cable. The coiled original cable is good in the Studio though, it tends to stay out of the way.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #1,665 of 2,535
I don't follow. Are you referring to that boom cable they have? I have the one with the small inline microphone, and I know they also have a plain cable, although it's a bit longer. The SpeakEasy cable I have is the perfect length. Just north of 4'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back