Sony MDR-7520
Aug 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,606 of 2,535
  Sonic, I am sorry for the moments of stress you had looking for a cable that was never there, haha.
There is definitely something up with some of the MacBook Pro's and using coiled cables on the line/headphones out.

No worries. Happy to find a solution. Do you know of a good 5 (5+) ft straight cable to buy for the 7520s?

I think I'm gonna wind up with a Sony. I am parting ways with the HP50s and the DT770s will probably have the same fate. The DT770s are very nice but I have to cut something. I have the AKG 545s on order, hopefully this is the last headphone I audition. 

If I end up with a Sony (as I predict I will) the straight cable could work with either the 1R or 7520. The latter sounds better, but saving nearly $200 is a compelling reason to go with the 1Rs. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,607 of 2,535
Originally Posted by SonicGoat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No worries. Happy to find a solution. Do you know of a good 5 (5+) ft straight cable to buy for the 7520s?

Nope, but there are a billion good cables out there, so go check :)

Please note that there are two major reasons for having a coiled cable on headphones, which you may not have heard of or noticed yourself. One reason is it's stretchable and does get caught up in stuff less than a straight cable because it is more forgiving. In the studio it can sometimes save you from a a tipped over stand or cup of coffee, because it warns you in time that there is something grabbing the cable. It also folds back up nicely. The second reason is less microphonics. Coiled cables usually transfer less noise to the headphone cups when you tap the cable or slide it up against your shirt/collar/whatever. This mechanical induced noise is dampened to some degree by the coiled shape of the cable.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,608 of 2,535

Please note that there are two major reasons for having a coiled cable on headphones, which you may not have heard of or noticed yourself. One reason is it's stretchable and does get caught up in stuff less than a straight cable because it is more forgiving. In the studio it can sometimes save you from a a tipped over stand or cup of coffee, because it warns you in time that there is something grabbing the cable. It also folds back up nicely. The second reason is less microphonics. Coiled cables usually transfer less noise to the headphone cups when you tap the cable or slide it up against your shirt/collar/whatever. This mechanical induced noise is dampened to some degree by the coiled shape of the cable.

Interesting. I would no doubt keep the coiled cable on hand for different applications. But, as you said, it is a bit funky plugged directly into my old MacBook

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,609 of 2,535
Originally Posted by SonicGoat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The DT770s are very nice but I have to cut something.. 

I use my 7520 for mixing duties. They replaced my now sold DT770. The difference between these two cans is huge to me. I still shake my head over the fact that I used the DT770 for so long, not realising that I could have had a much better, clearer, more neutral and fast headphone to work with. The sound of the 7520 to me is the "truth" and they just sound and respond very much like my mixing speakers (monitors) during mixing. They are so straightforward to work with. The DT770 is hyped (reduced mids) and looking back now, I had to fight them when mixing to get proper results.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,610 of 2,535

I use my 7520 for mixing duties. They replaced my now sold DT770. The difference between these two cans is huge to me. I still shake my head over the fact that I used the DT770 for so long, not realising that I could have had a much better, clearer, more neutral and fast headphone to work with. The sound of the 7520 to me is the "truth" and they just sound and respond very much like my mixing speakers (monitors) during mixing. They are so straightforward to work with. The DT770 is hyped (reduced mids) and looking back now, I had to fight them when mixing to get proper results.

You likely have a more discerning ear than I do. Which impedance level did you have? I heard the sound quality varies across the line. I am aware of the scooped out mids you refer to. On 'Wooden Ships' by Crosby, Stills, & Nash, the vocals are so far back in the mix. I'm sure it was not intended to be that way. Other songs, the DT770s sound pretty nice to my ears. It may just be me, but I find they image well. I don't find the bass to be muddy or encroach upon the mids as some claim. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,611 of 2,535

Did you find the DT770s to have clearer mids than the 1Rs (provided you've heard them)?

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,614 of 2,535
On another note, I recommend you 7520 owners to listen to this:

https://symbionproject.bandcamp.com/album/misery-in-soliloquy-exposed

You can download it in FLAC for free too. This music is highly textured and layered, gives a great impression of what the 7520 can achieve in terms of SQ in my opinion :)

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,616 of 2,535
...now we need to start trading ideas about EQ with the Alpha Pads assuming CanOpener.  I am enjoying the simple 'Brighter' preset so far.  Decided I don't need to boost the mid-bass, just the highs through vocals.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #1,618 of 2,535

There is a third reason! When tracking, I and many other musicians prefer the coiled cord because it simply doesn't drop and drape all over you. It can be intensely distracting. There are ways to get around it with a straight cord, but it tends to involve more work. It can be punishing to a session if you're taking headphones on and off repeatedly throughout.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,619 of 2,535

There is a third reason! When tracking, I and many other musicians prefer the coiled cord because it simply doesn't drop and drape all over you. It can be intensely distracting. There are ways to get around it with a straight cord, but it tends to involve more work. It can be punishing to a session if you're taking headphones on and off repeatedly throughout.

The included cord that comes with the 7520 is way too long and unstable. It tangles way too quickly for any type of studio work. I wish Sony included a more durable and functional coiled cord. But good news is that you can change cords easily. I have found a few different options. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,620 of 2,535
  The included cord that comes with the 7520 is way too long and unstable. It tangles way too quickly for any type of studio work. I wish Sony included a more durable and functional coiled cord. But good news is that you can change cords easily. I have found a few different options. 

I really wish Sony would have included the other straight cord that came with the Z1000. Oh well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back