Sony MDR-7520
Aug 19, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #1,591 of 2,535
If you think the 7520 cups are a bit small then I wouldn't even bother with the Viso HP50's. I actually ordered both at the same time and returned the HP50's that day because the cups are small and the pads are very thin. They didn't fit my head at all. They do sound good, not as good as the 7520's but pretty well balanced. I also felt the built quality on the HP50's was very cheap feeling, very plastic-y and creaky.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,592 of 2,535
So yesterday i did the superglueing to the alpha pads. I nearly screwed it when i superglued my finger onto the pads but now things are good again and my fingers will be supergluefree again by tomorrow I think :p

Listening yesterday I immensely missed the mid bass. highs sounded harsher than I wished for and I regretted my decision to cut those pads tighter. today I am quite liking the sound. I don't know why I found it harsh, everything is fine today. bass is good, voices are coming through very good. I thought isolation to be better. I can hear people talking 10 meters away. outside noise is damped but quite good recognizable. more to come sometime soon...

update: okay, while it sounds good today on a lot of stuff (morning phase from beck, untrue from burial) it sounds quite thin with other albums (Charles Mingus - Ah Um, Dillon - This Silence Kills, Aaliyah - Aaliyah). Things were quite better weighted with the original pads. Is there any way to bring back midbass a little?

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,598 of 2,535

Here’s an update — particularly for Starfly or anyone else who was wondering. I took delivery of the 7520s last Thursday, a day after receiving the DT770s 32ohm. I dig the understated and utilitarian looks of the 7520s and the cable seems really heavy duty. Upon first testing them out at my local coffeehouse, I found them decidedly uncomfortable, the ear cups were too small and wreaked discomfort on my ever sensitive left ear — my next extended listen, I found them relatively comfortable. Among all the headphones I’ve tested, not one have I experienced such a turnaround in perceived comfort. The MDR-1Rs are undoubtedly a few notches above the 7520s in terms of comfort, but the latter could definitely work for me — bear in mind, I am one who has a low tolerance to uncomfortable headphones so take this as a testament to comfort. 

The sound is good but there is one major hangup: the 7520s don’t play well with my 2011 MacBook Pro. Like I may have said, I like to plug low impedance cans directly into my MBP and go from there. However, when doing so, I hear a crackling sound on many lossless tracks. This crackling ranges from not there (or scarcely salient) to completely objectionable. I figured out the cause was the source when I plugged the 7520s into my iPhone 5. All the tracks sounded crisp without any aberrations. The jury is still out on the 7520s, but they appear to be great when provided with the right source. Alas, not playing nice with my venerable MacBook could be a major deal breaker.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #1,599 of 2,535
this defeats the comfort purpose. there is no good eq on my ipod touch and all the eq apps are awful.
It doesn't defeat the purpose, it is the purpose. That's like putting big tires on a car and saying your wish you could feel the road more. Just put on your other pads and da"da! you get midbass. No other way around it. It's the distance and space in the earcup that decreases the midbass sensation.

Also...check out equalizer and can opener. These are the two best apps for eq'ing...that is if you know how to eq.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #1,600 of 2,535

Here’s an update — particularly for Starfly or anyone else who was wondering. I took delivery of the 7520s last Thursday, a day after receiving the DT770s 32ohm. I dig the understated and utilitarian looks of the 7520s and the cable seems really heavy duty. Upon first testing them out at my local coffeehouse, I found them decidedly uncomfortable, the ear cups were too small and wreaked discomfort on my ever sensitive left ear — my next extended listen, I found them relatively comfortable. Among all the headphones I’ve tested, not one have I experienced such a turnaround in perceived comfort. The MDR-1Rs are undoubtedly a few notches above the 7520s in terms of comfort, but the latter could definitely work for me — bear in mind, I am one who has a low tolerance to uncomfortable headphones so take this as a testament to comfort. 

The sound is good but there is one major hangup: the 7520s don’t play well with my 2011 MacBook Pro. Like I may have said, I like to plug low impedance cans directly into my MBP and go from there. However, when doing so, I hear a crackling sound on many lossless tracks. This crackling ranges from not there (or scarcely salient) to completely objectionable. I figured out the cause was the source when I plugged the 7520s into my iPhone 5. All the tracks sounded crisp without any aberrations. The jury is still out on the 7520s, but they appear to be great when provided with the right source. Alas, not playing nice with my venerable MacBook could be a major deal breaker.

I highly recommend you get a simple and cheap DAC such as the Fiio E07K. That's what I use to play music from my laptop. The least it will do is provide a distortion free output for your headphones, as the direct headphone outputs on laptops will be prone to interference (from all the internal electronics). Not sure if the Fiio is compatible with Macs though.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,602 of 2,535
  The sound is good but there is one major hangup: the 7520s don’t play well with my 2011 MacBook Pro. Like I may have said, I like to plug low impedance cans directly into my MBP and go from there. However, when doing so, I hear a crackling sound on many lossless tracks.

I assume you are using the coiled cable that came with the 7520's. If so, try a straight cable and let us know the result with your MacBook Pro.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #1,603 of 2,535
  I highly recommend you get a simple and cheap DAC such as the Fiio E07K. That's what I use to play music from my laptop. The least it will do is provide a distortion free output for your headphones, as the direct headphone outputs on laptops will be prone to interference (from all the internal electronics). Not sure if the Fiio is compatible with Macs though.

The Fiio E07K is Mac-compatiable ... a portable DAC is definitely something I eventually want to invest in but the 7520 were such a hefty outlay to begin with, at the moment I'm not particularly keen on a grander investment at the expense of portability. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,604 of 2,535

I assume you are using the coiled cable that came with the 7520's. If so, try a straight cable and let us know the result with your MacBook Pro.

For a moment, I thought you recommended to try the straight cable that came with the headphones. I was like, "a straight cable came with the headphones?" So I rummaged through the box and couldn't find anything. Then I saw your wrote 'a' straight cable. I plugged in the 1R cable and voila! much cleaner sound! There's probably a negligible amount of distortion, but nothing that would detract from the music. If I decide to keep 7520s, I will pick up a good straight cable, preferably one that can reach ear deafening levels. Thanks for the solution. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,605 of 2,535
Sonic, I am sorry for the moments of stress you had looking for a cable that was never there, haha.
There is definitely something up with some of the MacBook Pro's and using coiled cables on the line/headphones out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back