Sony MDR-7520
Jun 21, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #1,456 of 2,535
Ok,

Brief comparo with the 1R. Using the song 'The Horizon has been Defeated' from Jack Johnson's On and On cd. Yes I am using a CD 
biggrin.gif
, straight from my CD player to the PA2V2. I see why people say the 1R has a midrange bump. Jack Johnson's voice has a nasality and slight unnaturalness to its sound. and when the guitar goes into a bit of feedback between verses, it really stands out.
The 7520 on the other hand sounds more natural with the voice and the treble extends a bit more. I think the recording is a bit sharp in the hi hats, and that sharpness is brought out by the 7520. The 1R also sounds to have more treble, but as you listen you realise that the 7520 is actually more extended yet still sounding less.....
As to the bass, there is no comparison. The 7520 is just hands down better. More impact, volume, texture and depth. The bass is there with the 1R, but is recessed compared to the 7520 and takes a backseat to the forward midrange. The 1R is easily an enjoyable phone, but I can now easily hear the 'honkiness' in its sound signature that has been reported by others. 

They are both enjoyable phones, but the more i listen, the more I am drawn to the 7520. I will admit that I wish the mids were a bit more forward, because that is the sound that I have become accustomed to, but I am still enjoying them. I must also admit that they are very easy to play too loud. turning up the volume knob only brings a wider smile to my face, especially if the recording is not bright.

Will try to listen more this weekend, but with two kids......... well you know how that can go. I will ask my daughter her opinions on the two phones. At 5 she is brutally honest 
smile.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,457 of 2,535
So I let my 5 ear old daughter evaluate them....

Looks: 1R: She likes the red and says its a bit bigger in her eyes

Comfort: 1R: She says its not as tight

Sound: 1R: She just likes it better, but she said that the 7520 seemed louder.

So there you have it, the voice of the young 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,458 of 2,535
These were discontinued here in the US (I dont remember when), but I do remember they suddenly popped back again. Same with Z walkman which popped back up some months ago (after being discontinued) and then disappeared.

Quote:
  search the thread, disc in Europe due to volume restrictions, current in us and maybe other countries.

My 3 year old kid loves the V6. She says its comfortable and likes the color. She didnt like the 1R because it kept falling off her head.

biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,459 of 2,535

biggrin.gif

Does she have a blog where she writes reviews? 
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #1,460 of 2,535
  Does she have a blog where she writes reviews? 
beerchug.gif

Nah... I dont want her that exposed to the internet as yet.... she wants to.... she has some nice favourite songs like Charlie Brown from Coldlpay, Roar and Firework from Katy Perry, Radioactive from Imagine Dragons, Just Give Me a Reason from Pink, Diamond from Rihanna, The Reason from Hoobastank.... so she has some taste....
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #1,461 of 2,535
Hello fancy 7520 fellas :wink:

I am listening to mine now for a few days every once in a while. I let them play music through the night for burn-in which works quite well. At first when the were new they sounded awful boxy but they opened up much more over the days. now they are okay, but I am not in love so far.

Voices tend to be sharper than I am used to, at the same time they are recessed and not as present as I like them to be. though being sharp voices don't seem to be crystal clear. it still sounds boxed here while the instrumental presentation is really good. one some songs this works really well on others it is tiring listening to the music.

my reference is a B&W P7 which sounded much more lively and fun compared to the 7520 without being harsh. well in the end at least. when I first got them I regarded them as harsh on many songs and later loved them.

as already said, the relationship between the 7520 and my ears is still in progress. I don't know if they are at their final sound yet. One question to you experienced guys: so far I am driving them without an amp. I might get the hrt microstreamer anytime soon as a match with my iPhone. how different is the sound with a dac/amp?

I know that sometimes it takes time to fall in love with headphones, but I received the MA900 the same time and with them it was so easy. it was love at first tone! 

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,462 of 2,535

...  One question to you experienced guys: so far I am driving them without an amp. I might get the hrt microstreamer anytime soon as a match with my iPhone. how different is the sound with a dac/amp?

I was going to wait a bit before posting my update on the problems I was having with "boominess," which might be similar to your "boxy" problems. (See my last 3 or 4 posts for a description of those problems in excessive detail). But now's the time...

Without an amp they were boomy for me. I have a PA2V2 amp, and they were boomy with that, too, though I liked the sound better with them, mids especially. Then last week I got a JDS Labs C5 amp (the newer one w/ 2 bass-boost levels). With the C5 on no bass-boost (i.e. "normal") the problem is gone, I am happy to say. It's not a subtle difference either, to my ears. With the bass-boost on half (3db, I think), it's too much bass, but still not boomy per se. And with full bass-boost (6), it's way too much. The boominess lent a sort of suffocating aspect to the presentation of the sound, which definitely had something to do with the lower frequencies but wasn't necessarily just a matter of the degree of bass. I'm not sure about the technical details, but I know the results with the C5 are much better. Problem solved in that regard.

It is true, as another poster said, that it's easy to listen to the 7520s too loud, so I'm trying to watch that. One thing I like about the C5 is that it's designed for lower-power headphones, and has very small volume increments. That was what interested me in it, for the sake of the 7520s, which I found the PA2V2 to be too strong for--I could only use about 10% of the volume dial, which is within the range of small channel imbalances for an amp of that type.

I was going to do an A/B with another set of 7520s, and am still interested in that, so hopefully I'll be able to tell if what I perceive as "boominess" is a general trait (subjectively speaking, in terms of how I hear the 7520s) with these headphones, or is just something that plagued my set. So short answer is yes, choice of an amp made a big difference for me.

Now, on to Netherlands/Chile...

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,463 of 2,535
Without an amp they were boomy for me. I have a PA2V2 amp, and they were boomy with that, too, though I liked the sound better with them, mids especially. Then last week I got a JDS Labs C5 amp (the newer one w/ 2 bass-boost levels). With the C5 on no bass-boost (i.e. "normal") the problem is gone, I am happy to say. It's not a subtle difference either, to my ears. With the bass-boost on half (3db, I think), it's too much bass, but still not boomy per se. And with full bass-boost (6), it's way too much. The boominess lent a sort of suffocating aspect to the presentation of the sound, which definitely had something to do with the lower frequencies but wasn't necessarily just a matter of the degree of bass. I'm not sure about the technical details, but I know the results with the C5 are much better. Problem solved in that regard.

Why do you hate my wallet so?? you just set me on a path to get the C5D..... cuz I am using the PA2v2 as well. What I did was turn the internal gain knobs to minimum on my PA2v2 and that actually seemed to reduce some of the warmth a bit. Maybe you should try that . To be honest, I always got the impression that the PA2v2 added some warmth and mellowness to the music, but it still sounded better than un amped. I was thinking of the E12, but afraid of the reported narrow soundstage and the slightly forward nature i read about in Clieos' review, but might be wrong about that as this may bring the mids out a little more... oh well....A new amp seems to be in the works.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am still burning mine in. When I am listening I turn them down, when I am not around to listen I turn them up to give them a work out, I dont find them boxy or boomy at all, at least not anymore.

@Sappy, maybe the siganture is source dependant... have you tried different sources? My S3 seems to have a very bright sound sig compared to my main portable rig, so that might be the issue. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,464 of 2,535

Originally Posted by dudlew /img/forum/go_quote.gif ...  What I did was turn the internal gain knobs to minimum on my PA2v2 and that actually seemed to reduce some of the warmth a bit...

I did that. Actually, they were already down when I opened it up. I honestly have nothing against your wallet, but the C5 is truly a nice amp. I was going to make a joke to you (as father of a small girl) about how great lossless "Row Row Row Your Boat" is, but I won't.

Goal Netherlands.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,466 of 2,535
It might be more accurate to say that they're revealing of the source............

Agreed.... what I meant to say...... Am enjoying Jamie Cullem Muse and Audioslave out of these cans at the moment

I was listening to them hooked up to my cd player which is hooked up to my speaker rig.... well I turned the speaker rig up a bit....... remembering Darner's statement about tbsse sounding boomy....well he miggt loathe my Nht ST4 speakers... they made the sonys sound bass light......

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,467 of 2,535
Ok Just did a comparo of the 1r and the 7520 using Skrillex Breakin' a Sweat (Original Mix) from the album Bangarang.

Ok. No comparison on any level right now. The 7520 has more bass. more body and a more balanced sound, the 1R is more mid centric and the bass is very laid back and rolled off in comparison. the high pitched synth used in the verse are too forward and a bit aggressive with the 1R, where as with the 7520, it slots in well with the rest of the music. The level of detail is a bit more than the 1R. Now I have had these things going almost straight for about 40 Hours, so they shoud be about burnt in by now. I am in the thought process of getting the iCAn Nano or the JDS Labs C5 amp to better compliment these phones.

Will update more as I listen and things jump out at me.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #1,468 of 2,535
hello everyone,

I have my 7520 for a while now and finally liking it :wink: first hours it was very harsh in the highs, sounded boxy and wasn't too much fun. After about 80 hours of burn in it now sounds very good, I like it a lot. I reminds me of the B&W P7 but I can't do a comparison anyone, this is just by memory. it is clear with pleasing highs and deep bass. so far I am using it without amp/dac directly from an iphone 4. hrt microstreamer should arrive this week, will see how the sound develops.

about the pads: are the recommended 840 Shure pads noticably softer than the stock pads? I don't have a problem with the depth of the stock pads but they could be even softer for my liking as pressure on my head is a little more than what I would like to have.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,469 of 2,535
  hello everyone,

I have my 7520 for a while now and finally liking it :wink: first hours it was very harsh in the highs, sounded boxy and wasn't too much fun. After about 80 hours of burn in it now sounds very good, I like it a lot. I reminds me of the B&W P7 but I can't do a comparison anyone, this is just by memory. it is clear with pleasing highs and deep bass. so far I am using it without amp/dac directly from an iphone 4. hrt microstreamer should arrive this week, will see how the sound develops.

about the pads: are the recommended 840 Shure pads noticably softer than the stock pads? I don't have a problem with the depth of the stock pads but they could be even softer for my liking as pressure on my head is a little more than what I would like to have.

The 840 pads (Shure HPAEC840) are IMO noticeably softer than the stock pads. And either way, it's about a $15 buck investment through Amazon.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,470 of 2,535

The 840 pads (Shure HPAEC840) are IMO noticeably softer than the stock pads. And either way, it's about a $15 buck investment through Amazon.

starfly, many thanks for the reply. I will order them and see. the stock pads are okay but it could be better still. any words on the pad changing itself? Removing is easy or is there anything special I should have a look at? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back