Sony MDR-7520
Jun 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,441 of 2,535
I mean older death metal, which is one thing I've been listening to a lot lately. I tend to go through months-long genre switches. These days, it's the inestimable UK band Bolt Thrower. They're so good, I'm still going after 20 years of listening to them. Another thing I've heard said over various forums regarding guitars is that if you get used to a given distorted guitar sound on lesser headphones, which reproduce sonic textures that are overly harsh (i.e. harsher than the recordings actually are), then going to better headphones can give you the feeling that the guitars have become tamer. This may be true of other genres that don't feature distortion, but it seems especially the case in music like metal, where harshness can be an aesthetic virtue. Metal guitars after all are kind of like modulatable broadband noise generators. And I definitely did a lot of listening (years) on $15 IEMs before I figured out I could do better.

OK.... Well you wont catch me listening to that at all... not my cup of tea... heaviest I listen to is Foo Fighters 
biggrin.gif
 Havent had much chance to listen today, but will try for some private time tonight.

I think I now see the issue why this pair was returned. It has what appears to be a crack on the right side of the headband, the piece of plastic that holds the red 'R' for the right hand side and where the adjustable band seems to slide in. I just noticed it and inspected it briefly... it does not seem like a crack on the second look but a manufacturing defect. From squeezing it I see no movement around the crack at all.

Anyway, again will check it out later and maybe do some pics with it and the 1R. Now not that the 7520 is ugly.... but they make the 1R look really sexy...

Just one quick question..... I just got a mac mini, so I have some flac files that I want to convert to 320kbps to put on my touch... any input on software that I can use to do that from anyone here?

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #1,442 of 2,535

OK.... Well you wont catch me listening to that at all... not my cup of tea... heaviest I listen to is Foo Fighters 
biggrin.gif
 Havent had much chance to listen today, but will try for some private time tonight.

I think I now see the issue why this pair was returned. It has what appears to be a crack on the right side of the headband, the piece of plastic that holds the red 'R' for the right hand side and where the adjustable band seems to slide in. I just noticed it and inspected it briefly... it does not seem like a crack on the second look but a manufacturing defect. From squeezing it I see no movement around the crack at all.

Anyway, again will check it out later and maybe do some pics with it and the 1R. Now not that the 7520 is ugly.... but they make the 1R look really sexy...

Just one quick question..... I just got a mac mini, so I have some flac files that I want to convert to 320kbps to put on my touch... any input on software that I can use to do that from anyone here?

Why throw away resolution, assuming the Flac files are lossless?  Why not just convert to ALAC if you are trying to save space.

XLD will do the job perfectly and it is free

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,443 of 2,535
  Why throw away resolution, assuming the Flac files are lossless?  Why not just convert to ALAC if you are trying to save space.

XLD will do the job perfectly and it is free

Good point, to be honest though, I have never really been able to tell the difference, and this allows me to put almost my entire music collection on my ipod. Only 64 gb. between 192-320kbps, there is a noticeable difference in sound quality especially in the highs, but at 320kbps, well its small enough to live with and I can travel with all my music on one device instead of having to remove and reload etc. I only have on maybe a quarter of my collection in files between 128 and 320 and half my ipod is full.

Maybe with the 7520 I might be able to hear the difference more easily
smile.gif
 and thanks for the XLD tip. will try it later.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,444 of 2,535
I have also noticed something else..... when you turn your head left to right (say 70 degrees from straight on), this seems to break the seal a bit and reduces the bass output. Just thought I would mention this.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,445 of 2,535
anyone looking for replacement pads, i have an unused aftermarket set that is a bit larger but more comfortable and also the originals that i have since replaced with some shures, pm me.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,446 of 2,535
Originally Posted by Mike F /img/forum/go_quote.gif  ...  I've been listening to this on them recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTpt49GAIWM ...

I had to mention this one, not for the sound so much as the guy on the stairs. You probably know it, a true classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,447 of 2,535
Some of the songs I like to test with...and just all round listen to

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,448 of 2,535
So here I was today, listening to some Linkin Park at work and for the first time realised that some of there songs have some good deep bass, i am not just talking quantity, but depth. I was surprised.

So if this is not a bass head headphone, then I am not a bass head, cause more than what I have been hearing might be too much for me normally. I mean I like bass.... but I guess this is what you get when you scale up in terms of depth and quality of bass. For me I think bass wise it is where I like it. and this is without EQ.

I really feel like I have a sub attached to my head.... not in the  serious visceral sense obviously, but in the depth and the fact that its like I can 'feel' the bass in my ears. Bass wise I am impressed so far. Still havent done the comparo yet, just listening and enjoying at the moment........... and I am wondering if the 1R pads might fit it..... may try that later.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,451 of 2,535
I picked up a pair of these this week because I saw that they were down to $360 at Amazon (which is a lot better than the $500 that Sony wants if you buy them direct).

I've been comparing them to my workhorse Beyerdynamic DT-770s that I've been using for six years.

First impressions on the MDR-7520s are...mixed.

THE GOOD:  They do seem to be a bit brighter sounding than the DT-770s (my main complaint about the Beyerdynamics is that they're a bit dark).  This certainly seems to help hearing all of the little details in a mix.

Also, the soundstage on them seems larger, with sounds that have big reverbs on them really conveying a sense of vastness more so than the DT-770s.

THE BAD: I'm a bit disappointed in the isolation/sound leakage on the MDR-7520s.  They definitely seem to let in more surrounding noise than the DT-770s (which is an issue for headphones I plan on using in a noisy office).

I'm also not too crazy on the comfort of the MDR-7520s.  While they're circumaural, it's more like the back of your ears slide into them instead of the headphone sitting around them (like the DT-770s).  This started to bother my ears after a half-hour or so.

Also, since the pads on the MDR-7520s aren't as cushy as the DT-770s, they seem to press on my glasses more, which is kind of uncomfortable.

Furthermore, I think that the interaction with my glasses may also be preventing the MDR-7520s from sealing properly, which is leading to the bass not being as impressive as it could be (and could also be contributing to the issues with isolation, now that I think about it).

I'm going to give these a few more days to see if my thoughts change, but, at this point, I'm definitely leaning towards returning them.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,452 of 2,535

... they seem to press on my glasses more, which is kind of uncomfortable ... the interaction with my glasses may also be preventing the MDR-7520s from sealing properly...

When I wear them working I put the headphones on first, then the glasses second, with the little arms on the glasses going back up and resting on the top of the earpads. So the glasses end up being on my face at a bit of a downward angle. I did a lot of work wearing them like this and didn't notice any negative effect on my vision, only a positive effect on comfort. There may have been in the minds of others a negative effect on my appearance, but I can live with that. :)

EDIT: I think I remember someone else on this thread returning them because their ears rubbed inside.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,453 of 2,535
  I picked up a pair of these this week because I saw that they were down to $360 at Amazon (which is a lot better than the $500 that Sony wants if you buy them direct).

I've been comparing them to my workhorse Beyerdynamic DT-770s that I've been using for six years.

THE GOOD:  They do seem to be a bit brighter sounding than the DT-770s (my main complaint about the Beyerdynamics is that they're a bit dark).  This certainly seems to help hearing all of the little details in a mix.

Also, the soundstage on them seems larger, with sounds that have big reverbs on them really conveying a sense of vastness more so than the DT-770s.

THE BAD: I'm a bit disappointed in the isolation/sound leakage on the MDR-7520s.  They definitely seem to let in more surrounding noise than the DT-770s (which is an issue for headphones I plan on using in a noisy office).

I'm also not too crazy on the comfort of the MDR-7520s.  While they're circumaural, it's more like the back of your ears slide into them instead of the headphone sitting around them (like the DT-770s).  This started to bother my ears after a half-hour or so.

Also, since the pads on the MDR-7520s aren't as cushy as the DT-770s, they seem to press on my glasses more, which is kind of uncomfortable.

Furthermore, I think that the interaction with my glasses may also be preventing the MDR-7520s from sealing properly, which is leading to the bass not being as impressive as it could be (and could also be contributing to the issues with isolation, now that I think about it).

I'm going to give these a few more days to see if my thoughts change, but, at this point, I'm definitely leaning towards returning them.

Not sure of which merchant on Amazon you bought them from for $360, but there are a few with low new prices that are not authorized Sony dealers.

In fact of the 9 sources selling new on Amazon only 1 is a real authorized dealer.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #1,455 of 2,535

You might wanna try the Shure SRH840 pads. More comfortable and they go around your ears, unlike the stock Sony pads. I've been using them since November and I'm very content with the increased comfort. It will change the sound a bit, but changing pads always does. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back