Sony MDR-7520
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #617 of 2,535
I find them a bit closed-in and lacking air and sparkle....but they hold together musically, whatever that means.

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #621 of 2,535
What about detail and accuracy? I don't mean treble energy, I mean which is the most revealing when you get used to the sound signature. I've come to the point where I think that smooth non exaggerated but very accurate highs are preferable to treble energy which, initially at least, gives the impression of more detail.
Nonetheless, the DT880 is a highly respected hp which I have considered for other applications so I'd be very interested in how they compare to the 7520's as well.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #623 of 2,535
I haven't compared the DT880 and the 7520 directly, as in A-B testing, but read on and allow me to exaggerate a bit in the following...

DT770.
Before acquiring the Sony 7520, I used the Beyerdynamic DT770 for years. I didn't know better, but looking back, the DT770 is useless for the occasional mixing I do on headphones. Yes you heard me, I find them useless for mixing compared to the 7520 :) The Beyer sugarcoates everything to give you a sweet ride. It's almost like it performs its own mastering process to the signal, it raises the bass and simultaneously softens it, it removes "unpleasant" low-mid body and high-mid frequencies, and it adds endless top-end treble and compresses it, to slow it down nicely. Sugarcoating.

DT990.
I borrowed a pair for a while. Still useless for mixing as it carries the same signature as the above DT770. It sounds better though overall. Better resolution and more lively / open sounding, but still useless sugarcoating everything. I think it has even more treble and bass than the DT770 if that's possible. Mixing vocals on these would turn out incredibly skewed on other playback systems.

DT880.
I have only tried these for a few minutes a while back, but they sounded much better to me. They had a more honest midrange and better leaner and faster bass compared to the above two Beyers. But it still had way too much high-end treble compared to the 7520.
Example: if you know the sound of a large crash cymbal, you know it has (reproduces) a fairly wide frequency range. It has both body and top-end sizzle. On the Beyers, the body of this cymbal is gone and all you are left with is top-end sizzle. AND it sounds like the sizzle is raised in volume to present it with lots of air. That makes it skewed compared to my preferred balance when listening to a raw recording of a crash cymbal.

Do not assume my comments applies to your tastes. Let's just say I want a boring sound, not a sugarcoated one.

A crazy thought: the Beyers might sound better balanced on older recordings (made before 1985). On todays songs, we have the amount of bass and treble covered, so you don't have to compensate any longer, Mr. Beyer :)

I can relate to many of the things said in this DT880 vs DT990 comparison.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #624 of 2,535
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #626 of 2,535
Listening on my new 7520s through my Violectric V90, and all I can say is: YESSSS! :-D

Such punch and clarity! I bought these since I really like the 7506 and boy are they an upgrade. 

My number 3 favourite is the Sennheiser HD 25 (yes, I prefer closed studio monitor cans), so all I can say if you have/like these two, the 7520 is the perfect upgrade.

(I also have a Shure 440 and AT M50, but they aren't much used)

PS: I used to own a Senn HD600 before, so I know how a good open can sounds. :wink:

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #627 of 2,535
How does MDR-7520 comparing to Shure SRH 1540 and SRH 1840 especially in term of detail, sound stage/3D imaging and separation?

I listened to the SRH 1540 for a bit, search for my post in this thread.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #628 of 2,535
In my continuing adventure into studio monitoring headphones. Another belle has caught my eye. The Focal Spirit Pro. So, I've ordered it. Haha. I'll be seeing who's the top studio dog between the Focal and the Sony. Btw. P7 was a big let down. The 7520s walk all over it using the X3 as a source/amp.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #629 of 2,535
  In my continuing adventure into studio monitoring headphones. Another belle has caught my eye. The Focal Spirit Pro. So, I've ordered it. Haha. I'll be seeing who's the top studio dog between the Focal and the Sony. Btw. P7 was a big let down. The 7520s walk all over it using the X3 as a source/amp.

I'll be excited to read your impressions on the Focal Spirit Pro. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back