Sony MDR-7520
Aug 25, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,326 of 2,535

I can see why people like these headphones. The bass response is strong. The signature is unique. There's good separation. It's a fast-sounding headphone. I'm not sure how I feel about the imaging: It seems sometimes to image behind my head. That is, the image seems to be behind my head on occasion, which is weird. It's possible that could be chalked up to positioning. The comfort is excellent. Fits around my ears without irritation. The killer, however, is the upper frequencies. I'm not sure whether the upper frequencies are too boosted or too sharp or both, but the headphone is almost immediately fatiguing. So the tonality of this can is a no go for me. Again, I'm not crapting on anyone's d*ick here. I can see why people like this headphone.

Now that you mention it...dammmn daniel - I started noticing it too.

Maybe just the tracks, not sure but I *hear* where you are coming from.  Maybe ill retire them for a couple of weeks so I can forgot I thought this.

Otherwise these headphones are 5-star general.  Damn fine looking too.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,327 of 2,535
@Schopenhauer , @Brazenways

I just recently picked up a Denon AH-D2000, which I swear the music plausibly feels in front of me. The 7520, with its detailed yet closed-in presentation creates sounds that can be perceived more hard-panned left/right. I don't have too much issue with it, but I think once that soundstage collapses, then it makes it harder for the brain to interpret some spatial aspects. 

The 7520 is such a fantastic headphone. While nowhere near as spacious as the D2000, it manages to be engaging with the full range of frequencies right up in front, without any obvious peaks or glaring issues. The 7520 also has more authority in the bass - more robust. The D2000s bass is neutralish, digs deep down and has a very nice quality to it. Highs on the 7520 are designed for engineer to mix at just the right volume in line with the rest of the spectrum. The D2000, the highs may be just a smidge too much for some, and north of neutral. 

I picked up the D2000 looking for a more comfy headphone that might replace the 7520. Not a chance. And not in bad way.

The D2000 is easily now a favourite headphone for me. What some people might see as sharp treble to me is accurate and detailed. The D2000, with its semi-open design sounds almost fully open. Soundstage is ridiculously good for such a design. Really enjoying it. I've had to make a tough choice then, that instead of replacing the 7520, the D2000 are replacing my HD650s!  
eek.gif

Ultimately, the 7520s couldn't go. Despite my comfort reservations I used them throughout my vacation, even on an 11hour bus ride. The 7520 are truly a full-sized closed sealed design, they are much better for mixing than the D2000, they are also very portable and rugged.

I'm really glad I got the D2000s and I'd recommend them over the 7520 to most people if just for home use.  At a fraction of the cost, the D2000s have also completely (90%-ish) killed any cravings I had for the MDR-Z7 or Beyerdynamic T5P. The Z7 to my memory was nowhere near as sharp as the D2000, but it was a good can. To me the D2000 has very much an 'audiophile' presentation, where some of the most pristine recordings will shine but sub-par will sound very harsh. The 7520 I find can be listened to for a longer time without being fatiguing, but the D2000 this could be an issue.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #2,328 of 2,535
I absolutely love these headphones. They can be driven by an iPad or iPhone with no issues and give absolutely amazing detail. For some reason I always felt like my MDR-7506's and V6's were lacking something unless amped or going through something that could drive them, the 7520's have zero issues in this regard. I liked the 7510's but these are in another tier. The bass is amazing, it's like listening to a  legit subwoofer not some boomy beats garbage.  

I have some beyer dynamic pads on order and cant wait to try them as this thread seems to indicate they are a good match. 

My main question is this: I have a pair of Sony DRZX701IP's which I was hoping to use as beaters for the gym and get decent sound out of. However they don't sound that great. Luckily I got them for $23 open box and not for the $100 they were asking new a few years ago. 

Are there sony part numbers for the 7520 drivers? What about the 7510's? I can't seem to find anything. I was thinking of making a little project out of this for myself. 

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,329 of 2,535
It is indeed a very good headphone. Recently, i had tried the new fostex tr90 80ohms. It is a semi open headphone. It sound almost like mdr7520 and with more spacious sounds. Have anyone tried it? Hope to hear if anyone had compare it before. I am thinking of getting it.

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #2,330 of 2,535
Just to share, i have found a headphone that sound like mdr7520 but has better seperation and spacious. This headphone is Kennerton Magister. Very fantastic headphone! I feel the sound is even better than LDC-XC. The mid of LCD-XC is missing something which I don't how to describe. Magister become my favourite headphone now. Don't know why it is not hype which is such a good headphone. I will still keep my mdr7520 as it is indeed a good headphone to keep. Just to share what I had found.

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,331 of 2,535
  I absolutely love these headphones. They can be driven by an iPad or iPhone with no issues and give absolutely amazing detail. For some reason I always felt like my MDR-7506's and V6's were lacking something unless amped or going through something that could drive them, the 7520's have zero issues in this regard. I liked the 7510's but these are in another tier. The bass is amazing, it's like listening to a  legit subwoofer not some boomy beats garbage.  

I have some beyer dynamic pads on order and cant wait to try them as this thread seems to indicate they are a good match. 

My main question is this: I have a pair of Sony DRZX701IP's which I was hoping to use as beaters for the gym and get decent sound out of. However they don't sound that great. Luckily I got them for $23 open box and not for the $100 they were asking new a few years ago. 

Are there sony part numbers for the 7520 drivers? What about the 7510's? I can't seem to find anything. I was thinking of making a little project out of this for myself. 

Sony doesn't sell parts beyond accessories and earpads.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,334 of 2,535
'the future of headphones' with Tyll of innerfidelity

1 hr.

1st part to 30 min covers the recent rocky mtn audio show.

30 min onwards it gets very interesting into ways in which possible future tech might
take that 'sound in our head' and extend it outwards to making the music sound more real, 3D and spacious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9dCKuOgO7I&ab_channel=TWiTHomeTheaterGeeks

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #2,335 of 2,535
  For anyone who does find their ears are touching the grills and find it uncomfortable and irritating if you are looking to keep to a similar pad the EU consumer version of this used the same type of pad but was deeper and I never had this issue until I got the 7520's.  

So if you are after the same type of pad a bit deeper and can hunt down the Z1000 pads that would cure that problem.  

Plus all the other pads out there to try, I personally gave the Beyer velour pads a try and never looked back, they look a bit odd on the 7520's but sound great.  

I also brought some mod pads of a fellow head-fier a while back now that are leather with a suede padding stitched to the front but have not got around to it yet due to been busy etc as well as I would have to prize those tight Beyer pads off and the new pads need gluing on as there is no normal silicone rubber trim to attach to the cups. 

Here are some photos as will be interesting to see what fellow 7520 owners reckon on them...

hi there.

gorgeous cable...which one is that? and how much please?

i just ordered the 250v pads from amazon...yet again...last time had no luck
...also ordered the 1A cable.

also on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beyerndynamic+EDT+250V&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abeyerndynamic+EDT+250V
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beyerndynamic+EDT+250V&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abeyerndynamic+EDT+250V

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,336 of 2,535

For anyone who does find their ears are touching the grills and find it uncomfortable and irritating if you are looking to keep to a similar pad the EU consumer version of this used the same type of pad but was deeper and I never had this issue until I got the 7520's.  

So if you are after the same type of pad a bit deeper and can hunt down the Z1000 pads that would cure that problem.  

Plus all the other pads out there to try, I personally gave the Beyer velour pads a try and never looked back, they look a bit odd on the 7520's but sound great.  

I also brought some mod pads of a fellow head-fier a while back now that are leather with a suede padding stitched to the front but have not got around to it yet due to been busy etc as well as I would have to prize those tight Beyer pads off and the new pads need gluing on as there is no normal silicone rubber trim to attach to the cups. 

Here are some photos as will be interesting to see what fellow 7520 owners reckon on them...

hi there.

gorgeous cable...which one is that? and how much please?

i just ordered the 250v pads from amazon...yet again...last time had no luck
...also ordered the 1A cable.

also on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beyerndynamic+EDT+250V&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abeyerndynamic+EDT+250V
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beyerndynamic+EDT+250V&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abeyerndynamic+EDT+250V

That is Whiplash Audio V3 Hybrid cable which is actually hard wired into both drivers for better sound also.  Expensive for what headphone cost and probably won't ever do it again to a headphone costing this amount but was worth it for these Sony's.  

Let us know what you think once you've got the Velour pads on, hope you have good patience as it will be tight getting them on ; )  

...But worth it imho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back