Sony MDR-7520
Aug 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,531 of 2,535

From the way you describe the sound, it sounds just like the sound signature of the Shure SRH940 pads (which are also velour) (and not to be confused with the SRH840 pads, which are pleather).

And you also seem to have cut out the center of those pads, or did they come like that?

The Beyer pads don't have any sort of screen/mesh built into the pad. They come with circular foam inserts but they don't really fit properly on the Sony's. I've been messing around trying to find a good material to sew or glue onto the backsides of the pads.

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,532 of 2,535

The Beyer pads don't have any sort of screen/mesh built into the pad. They come with circular foam inserts but they don't really fit properly on the Sony's. I've been messing around trying to find a good material to sew or glue onto the backsides of the pads.

Try to use an old hiking t-shirt, that material is generally soft (so comfortable) and not too thick, so probably sonically pretty transparent. That's what I did with my Shure pads, cut out the stock material and replaced it with material from an old hiking t-shirt.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,533 of 2,535
Just installed the Alpha Pads on the 7520...VERY VERY comfortable! Isolates very very well....I would say on par with my HD8s which isolate with excellence. The soundstage has opened up, mid-bass has decreased a lot! The only mod I had to do with the alpha pads was
making the inner band tighter. This is BY FAR the most comfortable headphone I've ever owned. Also sounds incredible!!!! I don't even want to try installing the vmoda xl-pads now....

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,540 of 2,535
i do like the fact they are angled as well must give it a good sound stage in front instead of in the middle of the head since the 7520 drivers are already tilted somewhat inside.  i would love a nice comfortable leather option here and always thought the alpha dogs were super comfy.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,542 of 2,535
The alpha pad inner lining is a bit loose and doesn't quite fit onto the 7520's mold. The alpha pads are very comfy.

I am interested in those pads aswell, they look very comfy. can you describe again a little more detailed what they do to the sound? less midbass which is good for you I think? I would commute with them (once it gets cooler again) so bass is important because I lose a lot of it when its loud.

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,543 of 2,535
Bass is still presented very nicely. I love a good mid-bass slam, but I own too many phones that have it. Since the 7520 has an ability to spit out high spl levels, using pads that create distance actually present the sound in better manner, at least to my ears. The stock pads are nice. I didn't have a problem with them. And I was taking a chance buying the alpha pads, as no one has tested out the alpha pads on the 7520 previously in the forum. They are very comfy and create a spacious sound. This sound is exactly what I've been looking for over the past 3 years. Out of all the headphones I've tested and tried, I never would have thought that I would get more enjoyment out of a Sony, over some of the more expensive cans. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,544 of 2,535
thanks for the additional description. the pads are looking terrific, let's see if I can get them in Germany somehow without paying customs for import. If anybody knows where to get them in Europe, please let me know.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #1,545 of 2,535
  thanks for the additional description. the pads are looking terrific, let's see if I can get them in Germany somehow without paying customs for import. If anybody knows where to get them in Europe, please let me know.

Here in Czech Republic they're currently stocked at more than 11 eshops, see there - http://www.heureka.cz/?h%5Bfraze%5D=sony+mdr+7520 ... Dunno, maybe some of them do ship outside CZ ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back