Sony MDR-7520
Oct 4, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #2,522 of 2,535
4 figures if really worth it (usually isn't since at some points diminishing returns kick in)
Closedback
Audio Technica - MSR7B
Drop MrSpeaker Ether CX Closed Heaphones (Harsh)

Openback
Audio Technica ATH-R70X
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (Harsh)

Then there is Focal Utopia which is the best but again crazy expensive. Utopia is the only Heaphone I consider to be an improvement over MDR-7520 because it is very much similar in sound signature and has similar smooth roll-off in the treble without loosing any detail at all which I have not seen any other headphone do. Sound-stage is decently good. Imaging is Perfect. Very little EQ needed if at all. If I had to list the best Neutral and Detailed Headphone Utopia gonna top the list.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,523 of 2,535
Closedback
Audio Technica - MSR7B
Drop MrSpeaker Ether CX Closed Heaphones (Harsh)

Openback
Audio Technica ATH-R70X
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (Harsh)

Then there is Focal Utopia which is the best but again crazy expensive. Utopia is the only Heaphone I consider to be an improvement over MDR-7520 because it is very much similar in sound signature and has similar smooth roll-off in the treble without loosing any detail at all which I have not seen any other headphone do. Sound-stage is decently good. Imaging is Perfect. Very little EQ needed if at all. If I had to list the best Neutral and Detailed Headphone Utopia gonna top the list.
Im only interested in closed ones. What about these?
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-2-closed-back

I'll keep an eye on the 7520 in case goes on sale, but seems unlikely.

Oct 5, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #2,524 of 2,535
Im only interested in closed ones. What about these?
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-2-closed-back

I'll keep an eye on the 7520 in case goes on sale, but seems unlikely.
I have no experience with that set of Headphones. I experienced XC but they were far from being Neutral so if they have similar sound signature they are sure to be bad. If not better check them out. Don't think any-one has LCD-2 closed back in my circle. Will have to check.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #2,526 of 2,535
They are impossible to find now. Should have bought the one sold by some fella here. Im curios to see how they sound.

Very good but not great IMO. Punchy, detailed, comfortable; but narrow soundstage (side to side) soon destroys the other enjoyable aspects.
I had the 7520 for about 3 years, listened to them pretty often. Also had the MDR 1000's for a while - a somewhat similar predecessor (tho'
some might disagree) 7520's were pretty dynamic and novel when released, especially with the pricing at the time, but they've
since been overtaken by several competitors. All in all a(nother) solid job by Sony.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #2,527 of 2,535
Very good but not great IMO. Punchy, detailed, comfortable; but narrow soundstage (side to side) soon destroys the other enjoyable aspects.
I had the 7520 for about 3 years, listened to them pretty often. Also had the MDR 1000's for a while - a somewhat similar predecessor (tho'
some might disagree) 7520's were pretty dynamic and novel when released, especially with the pricing at the time, but they've
since been overtaken by several competitors. All in all a(nother) solid job by Sony.
Which would you say is a better alternative? i produce mostly eletronic music with no vocals or live instruments. Im looking for the best option possible. Considered the Audeze but they look like they would put an insane amount of clamp force + weight would make it impossible to use for more than 30 minutes. Must be closed backs.

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #2,529 of 2,535
My favorite closed
Which would you say is a better alternative? i produce mostly eletronic music with no vocals or live instruments. Im looking for the best option possible. Considered the Audeze but they look like they would put an insane amount of clamp force + weight would make it impossible to use for more than 30 minutes. Must be closed backs.
Second that question, what is better out there? Focal Celestee?

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #2,531 of 2,535
Im interested in how it compares to either that or the Focal Listen.
Focal has a different approach. It has kinda laid back profile. And accuracy and detail retrieval is close but not there. Close in Imaging but Sound-stage is clearly inferior. Overall Foal Celestee is really good. Besides Soundstage and being Extremely Neutral through out the range it is really good. It is not harsh and is not muddied at low end either. The Low-end clarity is really good while packing punch. Kinda noticeable how male vocals are bit laid back and higher frequency notes by females are bit raised up in comparison to have sufficient power to brighten the waves and details.

Overall it is really good. But well that is to have pleasant and nearly lossless hearing experience. While MDR-7520 were designed for critical listening(the best there is). So comparing it to 7520 they are worlds apart.

Jul 4, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #2,533 of 2,535
i’ve got a pair of these in great condition (no box) that i’m looking to sell but i’ve got no idea how much anyone would want for them. no ebay sales info and nobody’s sold them here since last year. any suggestions?
Haven't seen them on the market for a while, but my guess would be somewhere in the $200-250 range. Could be wrong, though.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #2,534 of 2,535
There's some really dodgy ones now on ebay, they had the same item 5 times in 5 different shops, everyone accused each other of stealing their pictures and they failed to deliver actual evidence (new pics, some proof). Plus they ask an stupid amount for an unseled item. Be careful, i'll pass on getting scammed. If they can't be bothered to take a pic of the thing holding a piece of paper with the name of their shop they are hiding something.
I also found the same set of pictures in a german ad. Seems dodgy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back