Sony MDR-7520 Possible Wide-Spread problem? Left earcup faint rattle/noise with low frequencies.
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

msflsim

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

So some time ago I got the Sony MDR-7520 and as everyone knows they are aimed towards professional applications, but not limited to mixing, tracking and in general applications where hearing details and balances between instruments is important in order to make informed decisions.

That is the reason why I got them in the first place and they did not/do not disappoint. The sound is rich, trustable, balanced and it is easy to apply changes whilst mixing that translate well to my main monitors.

Now here is the problem.

The left earcup is exhibiting this faint buzzing/rattle/port farting noise/material vibration at low frequencies around 50hz-200hz (didnt figure it out exactly with frequency sweeps but might do if there is enough interest). - on my 7520 this happens around 80hz-90hz
Here is the link if you want to check yours - http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

When I first heard this I thought it was due to a cable in my studio going bad. After I eliminated everything in the chain prior to the sound hitting the phones I could not stop noticing this noise.

Imagine this situation: Mixing late at night (cant use monitors) and working on drums, the kick specifically. It is sooo annoying because of the noise!

I already contacted a fellow Head-Fi-er (a_recording) who mentioned having this problem on his Sony MDR-Z1000 and after saying that he managed to sort out the problem by moving the cable around, he has confirmed that in fact the problem is still there.

That thread and my post is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/510768/mdr-z1000-new-sony-flagship-headphones/1575#post_9182198

I tried moving the cable around in a few different configurations as well as taping the cable to the cup to no effect. One idea that I have and which I have not tested is that it maybe has to do with the little paper like material inside...

Please get involved guys as I would hate (im sure just like everyone else) to feel like I have been cheated out of a lot of money and not getting what is expected. Lately ive been quite protective of my investments and I will not allow Sony (or the dealer) to get away with this :)

If we find a fix that's great of course :)

Take care and happy listening!

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 15
Ok so after a few pms' with a_recording he has given this link to test at which frequency the buzzing kicks in.

On my 7520 its around 80hz-90hz

Here is the link: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 15
Okay I should chime in here: I had this problem for a while and I suspected it was the cable moving around inside the earcup.

I actually forgot exactly how I secured the cable, but it basically involved blu tac and making sure it would stay closer to the earcup.

The sound still occurs (kind of like a very fast rattle) but now only after very high volumes at very low frequencies from 20hz-100hz.

It's annoying because it's a sound that is difficult to unhear once you hear it.

The MDR-1R seems to solve this issue, among other issues with the Z1000.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 15
Youtube video I did for the MDR-1R rattling sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNODuYdxKw

I had similar issues with 3 of the MDR-1R headphones brand new out of the box.
On one of them I heard this issue very loudly. The other pair was absolutely perfect.
I tested this at 10hz, so my ear isn't able to pick up the bass, but only the noise. I can hear this issue up to 30-40hz.

I suspect it's the foil hitting the plastic cage or something on the other side where I can't get because I don't know how to take the earmuffs off the headphones.
Any idea on how to do this for the MDR-1R?

Best regards, E

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 15
I've just checked both of my pairs. The first one I tested did not exhibit this at all. The second one did slightly at around 80Hz and 110Hz when played at higher than normal listening levels. This is the newer of the two pairs (still has the labels stuck on it) and after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, it seems to have gone away.

And now my ears hurt from playing this back at increasingly louder levels when testing.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 15
Ok so i tried a few different things and im afraid I have no solution for this issue.

I removed the driver completely from the cup and the plastic cage and the rattle is still there. It sounds like there is some loose material stuck to the membrane thats causing it to sound like this.

In order to remove the driver from the plastic part that screws onto the cup you just need to twist it left and it falls out easily.

Im wondering if it would be possible to ask sony to send me a replacement driver after ive seen how easy it is to remove the driver. 

The only thing I would need to do then is to solder the cables.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Any resolution to this Msflsim? I am in the market for the 7520s, but this issue is a little disconcerting.

My question is same can you tell more detail about that
signature.jpg

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 15
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I am no closer to the resolution of this problem.

I did try a few other things and still cant get the left driver to not produce that buzzing sound.

Something inside the left driver is not functioning properly.

The driver is actually a whole, sealed unit. The plastic grille and the driver are fused together.

On the back of the driver there is a small hole on both sides that when covered reduces the bass greatly and therefore gets rid of the problem but creates another one. 

Since I dont plan on going mad with this, I am going to check what Sony can do in terms of warranty replacement etc. I really cant accept this to be it, not for the amount of money they cost.

Now guys I dont know how wide-spread this actually is as I couldn't find any information regard the issue. Best thing I can recommend is to buy them from a place that offers refunds and then try your model.

Good luck!

May 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 15
Hey guys, just a quick update.

I sent the headphones back to the retailer who immediately confirmed the fault and ordered a replacement from Sony.

When I bought the cans, they came with Sonys' prime support so I went through that and the whole process took around 7 days.

The new pair that I received has absolutely no issues.

I am glad I decided to do something about it as I was almost ready to accept it and try and not notice it but when you hear it you can not stop not hearing it!

As the turn out in regards to the votes and posts on this topic is so small, I assume that there is no widespread issue with them.

Also another strange thing that kind of struck me is that Sony discontinued the MDR 7520! Not sure why that happened, too expensive? Not moving enough units? 
That would be my guess, they first re-packaged the Z1000 into the 7520 and now they are discontinued, leaving the 'pro' range without a flagship headphone.

May 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Hey guys, just a quick update.

I sent the headphones back to the retailer who immediately confirmed the fault and ordered a replacement from Sony.

When I bought the cans, they came with Sonys' prime support so I went through that and the whole process took around 7 days.

The new pair that I received has absolutely no issues.

I am glad I decided to do something about it as I was almost ready to accept it and try and not notice it but when you hear it you can not stop not hearing it!

As the turn out in regards to the votes and posts on this topic is so small, I assume that there is no widespread issue with them.

Also another strange thing that kind of struck me is that Sony discontinued the MDR 7520! Not sure why that happened, too expensive? Not moving enough units? 
That would be my guess, they first re-packaged the Z1000 into the 7520 and now they are discontinued, leaving the 'pro' range without a flagship headphone.

I thought the Z1000 and 7520 was introduced at the same time and was designed from the beginning to be different. Regardless, glad to hear your conclusions on the ordeal since I receive my 7520 today.

May 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Just received my 7520. No rattling at all.

From my quick listen, first impressions pretty good. Only thing that I was disappointed with was the isolation. Well the soundstage somewhat too but since I was expecting it and it isn't extremely narrow, I won't count it.

May 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Just received my 7520. No rattling at all.

From my quick listen, first impressions pretty good. Only thing that I was disappointed with was the isolation. Well the soundstage somewhat too but since I was expecting it and it isn't extremely narrow, I won't count it.

My pair must have been a lemon then.

Were you expecting more or less isolation?

Have you noticed that the bass soundstage is different than mid/high

May 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
My pair must have been a lemon then.

Were you expecting more or less isolation?

Have you noticed that the bass soundstage is different than mid/high

I was expecting more for a closed back but I also didn't realize there were ports on it until I saw it in person. I am at work and received them at work so I only gave it a quick listen. Didn't notice a difference in soundstage between bass and mid/high but I only listened to make 1 min from 3 different songs. I will give it a more thorough listen tonight and report back.

May 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 15
Maybe it's just my head since you brought it up but it does seem like the low freq sound stage is a bit wider. Also in regards to the isolation, it's not as bad as I initially thought. It definitely can still be better but I guess my work environment is just very noisy. Also I noticed that it isolates much better and the bass is more pronounced if I slight push the headphones against my head. I wonder if I have a fit/seal issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back