Sony mdr-7509's
Oct 9, 2007 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rean1mator

100+ Head-Fier
Any thoughts on these? Electronic Musician reviewed them and they seemed to like them for mixing in teh studio.

I've never been a huge fan of sony cans tho'

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are for studio monitoring purposes. They are not really made for leisurely listening.

I don't know about this. That's what people say about my HD-280 Pro, and to me they sound just fine for listening to music, leisurely or otherwise.

I've never heard the Sony though, so what you have said may be truer about these than my Senns.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 9
I've not heard the 7509s, but I was doing lots of studying of the quite-similar MDR-V6/7506 pair, and the results were overwhelmingly positive. Most of those who have them even for home use are extremely happy with them.

And it's amazing while looking at the How-the-Movie-was-Made parts of DVDs and the behind-the-scenes shots of quite a few TV shows as to how often you see these guys being worn by the production staff. They're really quite popular at that!

I was looking to get a pair of the Sonys for use mainly by our kids, as the toughness is near-legendary for these things, and they've been in production near un-changed for many, many years....decades, even!

Depends a lot on how the kids continue to treat my MS-1....I still might get a set!
icon10.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 9
I've heard the 7609s but not owned them. They are similar to the MDR-V6/7506. As many have said on this forum the V6 is more or less a professional studio standard. I have two pair and use them as monitors because to my ears nothing else reproduces instrument sounds, particularly piano, as accurately.

They are not my favorite for relaxed listening to music. However, they are pretty darned good and I use them when I don't want my headphones to be leaking sound like my open phones do. When I went to get a second set I seriously considered the 7509s, but I felt the 7506s were a better buy and I wasn't comfortable that the V6s would give me the accurate piano reproduction that I had come to depend on the V-6s to give.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Having owned both the 7509's and 7506's I'd recommend the 7506's for music listening over the 7509's a bit more musical and easier to drive. The 7509's are great from the board because they can handle a lot of power which is needed to get over the house sound for isolating problems but were a bit dry to my ears.

The 7506's are vastly under-rated for closed cans and the $$ investment IMO.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Last month I went to this musical instrument-musical course store and bought some closed Equation RP22, and I inquired on the 7506 availability at the store.
The owner told me twice they got stolen from his studio and he does not hold them no more for that reason. He has to "lock them up".

When I asked about the 7509 his answer was "OOHH! yes!!!, those are good!"like being in their own league.

I bought some 7509HD last week and should receive them any day now! Very anxious to evaluate and ,I hope, enjoy them!
orphsmile.gif

Funny another thread about Sony's headphone started today
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265088

regards,

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 9
The extra dollars spent on the 7506 vs V6 is interesting. For the extra 30 bucks all you really get(that we're aware of)is a few microns of gold flashing on the connector and a set of Gray Stickers.

Darn; I LIKE the looks of the Gray Stickers Better!
cool.gif

....and I don't really want to know if the 7509 is BETTER!!

Like mentioned in another thread about something else....."I'll stick my fingers in my ears and go 'La La La La La La La'"!

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back