Sony MDR 7509
Jul 26, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bfwiat
You my friend must be tone deaf!!! I own 7509, v700dj and sennheiser hd560 ovation mk II. . . the v700 and 7509 are about as similar as a hyundai and a mercedes. The 7509 are designed as a production headphone to wear for extended periods of time without ear fatigue, and to this point they have a MUCH smoother and natural delivery across the midtones and top end, their imaging is far superior, and the voice is SO MUCH smoother and more natural than the v700 could dream of. For those of you who say the bass is boomy . . . I agree it is not a tight bass like the sennheisers, but it DOES translate extremely well to what a full scale speaker rig (such as that used in a cinema, concert venue or club) will sound like. These haedphones are designed to help you hear how your mix will sound through speakers in a real life situation, not an audiophile rig. . . and they do this job marvellously well. THey DEFINITELY go deeper than 40 hz as some people seem to suggest.

As an engineer I really wish people would realise that headphones used in the studio have vastly different requirements to audiophile headphones. I find the 7509 about the only headphones that can be worn for hours without ear fatigue, yet with a dynamic drive and volume capability that even metallica type drummers can't overdrive them.
I do appreciate different strokes for different folks, but you guys must appreciate different design briefs for different end users/uses. Yes, if you listen to classical and want to feel like you are there at the performance, these cans are NOT for you, but if you work 6-8 hrs a day with sound and need to know how it will translate in the real world on real life speaker systems, I find these an invaluable tool.
600smile.gif
Bfwiat

Good points there. I, too, notice differences between the V700DJ and the 7509 in their sound. As you said, the 7509 is what I would use just to hear an approximation of how a recording would sound on the average, run-of-the-mill component home audio system in an average, partially carpeted home living-room environment (with a mix of reflective and absorbent surfaces). As such, it is a valuable addition to a studio's headphone inventory that also includes headphones (such as the 7506 and certain AKGs and Sennheisers) used in the mastering of recordings.

In other words, in a studio quality-check purpose, if a recording sounds like crap to the engineer's ears on those 7509's, it will definitely sound crappy to the typical audio enthusiast on the average mass-market stereo with average-quality loudspeakers.

Jul 26, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
Following on from what Dark Angel raised in another thread, does anyone have any information regarding the 7509s.

All I have found is one review that seems to suggest that they are not re-badged V900s (assuming that the V900s are as woeful as the V600s), but rather a "significant step up in audio quality" over then highly esteemed 7506s.

http://www.proaudioreview.com/par/de...Sony-Web.shtml

Any thoughts?

confused.gif

SALUT!

sm
smily_headphones1.gif

These are the 'pro' versions of the V900, with evap diamond...

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #36 of 44
Jul 28, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 44
I normally listen to boxes instead of cans, but I've had a the MDR-7509 for a few years. I bought them for travelling and using with my computer for audio editing & games.

My previous headphones were Sony MDR-CD750, bought about 15 years ago. The MDR-7509 is significantly better. I really like them...nice smooth and detailed highs, extended and natural sounding bass. I compared them to a friend's MDR-V600, and it's no contest. I haven't had a chance to compare them with the MDR-V6 or MDR-7506.

I recently became motivated to get some earphones with better isolation from noise for use on airplanes, and ended up with the Etymotic ER-4p, with a 75 Ohm adapter to convert to ER-4s. I compared them to the MDR-7509 this morning. They sound fairly similar in the treble, but the MDR-7509 had much louder and fuller sounding bass than the ER-4p, which had somewhat more bass than the ER-4s. They all reproduced very low frequency sounds.

I will probably continue to use the MDR-7509 at home, with the ER-4s for plane travel.

Jul 28, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
So what? I could link 100 pages like those, that proves absolutelly nothing.....nevermind, believe what you want, I'm happy here listening the CD3000 for now....
very_evil_smiley.gif

What it proves is that these are identical phones sold throught two divisions. The outer structure is identical and the specs are identical.

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
What it proves is that these are identical phones sold throught two divisions. The outer structure is identical and the specs are identical.

I'm not sure how conclusive the specs are on the pages, in themselves. But, your estimation is indeed correct.

Let's examine listed OEM part numbers for the driver elements:

Model Manufacturer: Sony
Model Number: MDR-7509
Name: DRIVER (050F020)
Description: DRIVER (050F020)
Part Number: 150513711
Part Type: OEM NEW

Model Number: MDR-V900
Name: DRIVER (050F020)
Description: DRIVER (050F020)
Part Number: 150513711

As for the question from another user concerning the V700:

Model Number: MDR-V700DJ
Name: DRIVER (HEADPHONE) (050F025)
Description: DRIVER (HEADPHONE) (050F025)
Part Number: 154239011

-Chris

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #40 of 44
Interesting,WmAx,
So you are saying it doesn't matter
IF i pick a V900 over a 7509? the dfiference is about
40.00 more for the 7509 at Samash.

I got some nice new V6's
Not bad at all for my needs.

Upgrade soon
need something for mastering

May 28, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #42 of 44
Well, I bit the bullet and decided to put my Tri-Fis on the shelf for awhile. I have always loved the Sony CD1K/3K headphones, and this one:

Sony MDR7509HD Professional Headphone

is the closest I could find for it. It is only $199 now, plus $12.95 for expedited 1 - 3 day shipping. I'm loving the fact that it's only 24 ohms which will work great with my low gain portable amps.

Perhaps the HD part of the name refers to the frequency range of 5Hz - 80kHz, for use with SACD albums. It also employs some sort of new 3kj something or other neodymium magnet for better midrange sounds.

I can't wait to get them. I probably shouldn't have spent the money on them, but I did, and I really needed a pair of full-size cans. We'll see how they sound. I'm really looking forward to them now. I'll keep you posted.

....even though they are hardly new technology.
wink.gif

For $199, how could I go wrong? I've spent twice as much as that on a pair of excellent IEMs, but full size cans just have a certain punch and presence that IEMs don't
(except for the famed end of the year release by UE but who knows)....
I'm excited for sure...

May 29, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #43 of 44
If anyone else has any feedback on these cans, I'd sure love to hear it.

I'm wondering if it's more of a placebo effect that people think they sound better for studio environments than home environments just because they were marketed that way.

If anyone owns a pair, please try to put the placebo factor out of the way for a moment and let me know some real impressions based on what you actually hear. I'm wondering how they measure up to certain audiophile standards and good headphones, without some of the audiophile placebo factor.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back