Sony MDR 7509
Dec 19, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 44
I've used the 7506 for a long time and recently bought a 7509. The bass is overemphasized. I had a couple of my colleagues test it out and they also thought it was was "boomy" in the lower frequencies. One test was with a pro Mackie mixer, one with a portable CD player, and several tests with a 24 channel Soundcraft mixer, various broadcast digital VTR decks and a home mini-system. I haven't given it a burn-in period but I somehow doubt it'll make a big difference with this set. This said, I'm keeping them simply because they're used in countless feature film productions and studios. When your industry decides on a certain piece of equipment by sheer popularity it's sort of like whether you like it or not you have to have it on hand for reference.

The high end is another story. I don't find it as shrill as the 7506. It's defined, with the right touch of warmth, if that makes any sense at all.

The construction is excellent. Many cans do not come close IMO to these but the real test will be the years of abuse awaiting them in my work. The 7506, although decent, doesn't really compare in this regard.

If you're used to the 7506, you may find these pretty big sized too. But within reasonable limits I'd say.

If you're just using them for pleasure, throwing in a little EQ in line to tame bass will make them pleasureable, ie. if you're not a purist and don't mind going that route. I've seen "fun" used in some threads to describe punchy sound. These are punchy and tight, following the signature of their little 7506 brother. More isolation, a somewhat increased soundstage and better handling of the highs are the difference soundwise.

But the way Sony's 7509 story ends is interesting. As popular as the MDR series has become in the pro field, many people have found themselves foregoing the 7509 in favor the older 7506. I suspect the bass issue has something to do with it. Still, scores of 7509s are still out there and being used. If Sony ever decides to refine the model with better bass I'm sure many 7506 defectors will come back.

-Radian

Dec 19, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #17 of 44
I've also tried it from Soundcraft and Behringer mixers. It's in my view a lot better for listening off a portable than mixing, I'd prefer something much brighter, and while I don't mind as much bass, I'd like it to kick more and flab less. Which is the reason that the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 is plugged into my mixers most of the time.
Unlike Eagle's experiences (I'm not sure he's actually owned these or just tried them out in a shop or something?), there is definitely bass below 40hz, right down to 20 although it's fluttering at that point, but all that's academic because... I much prefer it for use on portable systems. Yes it's grainy up top but I find it very easy to listen to and much more comfortable than the 7506 all around (even with the Beyer pads). Shame that it doesn't seem to seal as much as the MDR-7506 (odd, huh?) otherwise I'd have chosen this as my travelling phones although they are a bit big.
On the last posters note, I don't find it shrill. Relatively so compared to the 7509 yes, but not on an absolute scale.

Dec 19, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 44
Okay, the 7509 is the same as the V900, NOT the V700DJ. The V700DJ has a different housing and different driver membranes (diaphragms). And yeah, I had owned both the V700DJ and the V900, and while the V900 was what I had expected, the V700DJ just didn't sound quite like what I had heard in a demo at Tweeter (when that store used to carry that 'phone).

Dec 19, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 44
That's doubly odd, Eagle, because for a while I had the V700 and the MDR-7509 together. I was a little peed off to discover there was absolutely nothing in the sound difference. It's rare that I (with my now probably famously odd hearding) can say two phones sounded identical, and the V700 / 7509 sounded identical. But since the comfort was immensely superior, I kept the 7509. It's not something I'd want to listen to all the time, but as I think we sort of agreed (although you don't like coloration I seem to remember) it sounds pretty good with warm jazz pieces.

Dec 20, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 44
The drivers in the V700DJ and the MDR7509 are not the same, I used to own both at the same time, and are different drivers, even physically different, at least in mine, by the way compared to the V900, and when they are in fact very similar in appereance to the 7509 and most of the headfiers believe that the only difference is the gold plug, I do not agree, the sound is not the same, the sound in the 7509 is a lot better, more detailed specially in hte low end side, not as muddy as the V900, and yes the 7509 sounds better than the 7506 and are a lot more comfortable, better low end extension, and they support a lot more power without any distortion....but I don't think they worth the price difference anyway, but this is my opinion, of course, and even when I do not currently own any Sony, I like them and enjoy them when I used to have them, for some kind of music, better than a lot of more aclaimend cans, I know that there are a lot of headfiers that do not like Sonys at all, and have like personal vendettas against them, even without hearing them, or hearing not for the long periods of time, but they made some good things too, and about the prices, they are not the only overpriced ones....
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
and yes the 7509 sounds better than the 7506

Sorry, gotta disagree with you on that one Sov
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #22 of 44
The drivers may not be the same, but they have IDENTICAL specs and to me sounded exactly the same. I had the V700's for at least a couple of weeks after I got the phones from you and I did compare in detail because I was very surprised at how identical they sounded.
But the 09's sound better than the 06? I'd disagree, with the exception of soundstage which the 7509's may be better at. They are HUGELY more comfortable, but I don't think they necessaily sound better. The 06's are much less grainy up top, and have almost as much bass volume, but with more kick. But it's the comparative wooliness and bigness of the bass and the slightly recessed highs that make the 7509 such comforting phones to listen to... You could easily throw on some jazz tunes and listen all day. Or at least I could, only I have to flap the phones let out some of that 'cologne' smell every now and again
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 44
I owned both in the past, and I tried some other crappy Sonies before the 7509, and for me is what the test shows, of course there are a lot of personal taste and the kind of music you use, and the gear of course.....honestly I do not like the 7506 at all, the sound is pretty good, but they are a hell uncomfortable, even the V700DJ has the same problem (a little more comfortable than the 7506) I sold both, I enjoy comfortable cans, supra is not my type, I use them for hours, that is why I never tried the Grados, or the Etys this things inside the ear doesn't work for me neither, Senns, Big Sonys, Beyer....etc...I could live with those my whole life...

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
honestly I do not like the 7506 at all, the sound is pretty good, but they are a hell uncomfortable, even the V700DJ has the same problem (a little more comfortable than the 7506)

I gotta' heavily disagree with you on that one. The design of the 7506's make them way more comfortable than the V700's could ever dream of...probably even more so with the Beyer pads. The V700's just sit on top of your ears. Two big hunks pressing onto your ears and blaring cheap hi-fi sound into your ears. Not for me.

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by punosion
I gotta' heavily disagree with you on that one. The design of the 7506's make them way more comfortable than the V700's could ever dream of...probably even more so with the Beyer pads. The V700's just sit on top of your ears. Two big hunks pressing onto your ears and blaring cheap hi-fi sound into your ears. Not for me.

Minor point but I've gotta' heavily disagree with you on that one. The 7506 are as equally uncomfortable/comfortable as the V700. It just depends on how you wear them. In both cases I thin the optimum comfort is at the position where there is crappiest sound
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #27 of 44
The pads of the V700DJ are bigger and round and the center hole is bigger IIRC, but maybe I'm wrong who knows, the fact is that both are out of my prefferences for beeing uncomfortable, the 7509 is a panacea compared with those....and is not "cheap HIFI sound" they sound pretty good, compared to A LOT of more acclaimed cans.....Why people always try to crucify the Sony's? I think that they deserves more respect, remember that they produce some of the best dynamic cans in the market today.....and if you want to consider the prices, there are a lot of overpriced cans, these are not only the ones....

Dec 21, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

squished melons are no-good, particularly on either side of your head!

ROTFALMAO.

Sovkiller, did that moniker come from Mech Warrior?

I may hate all things Sony, but I still want a set of MDR-F1s.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #29 of 44
Na, wallijonn, that's the name I used when working as a secret agent for the FBI,
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

BTW what the "ROFTA" stands for, the rest I could imagine...

Jul 26, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
That's doubly odd, Eagle, because for a while I had the V700 and the MDR-7509 together. I was a little peed off to discover there was absolutely nothing in the sound difference. It's rare that I (with my now probably famously odd hearding) can say two phones sounded identical, and the V700 / 7509 sounded identical. But since the comfort was immensely superior, I kept the 7509. It's not something I'd want to listen to all the time, but as I think we sort of agreed (although you don't like coloration I seem to remember) it sounds pretty good with warm jazz pieces.

You my friend must be tone deaf!!! I own 7509, v700dj and sennheiser hd560 ovation mk II. . . the v700 and 7509 are about as similar as a hyundai and a mercedes. The 7509 are designed as a production headphone to wear for extended periods of time without ear fatigue, and to this point they have a MUCH smoother and natural delivery across the midtones and top end, their imaging is far superior, and the voice is SO MUCH smoother and more natural than the v700 could dream of. For those of you who say the bass is boomy . . . I agree it is not a tight bass like the sennheisers, but it DOES translate extremely well to what a full scale speaker rig (such as that used in a cinema, concert venue or club) will sound like. These haedphones are designed to help you hear how your mix will sound through speakers in a real life situation, not an audiophile rig. . . and they do this job marvellously well. THey DEFINITELY go deeper than 40 hz as some people seem to suggest.

As an engineer I really wish people would realise that headphones used in the studio have vastly different requirements to audiophile headphones. I find the 7509 about the only headphones that can be worn for hours without ear fatigue, yet with a dynamic drive and volume capability that even metallica type drummers can't overdrive them.
I do appreciate different strokes for different folks, but you guys must appreciate different design briefs for different end users/uses. Yes, if you listen to classical and want to feel like you are there at the performance, these cans are NOT for you, but if you work 6-8 hrs a day with sound and need to know how it will translate in the real world on real life speaker systems, I find these an invaluable tool.
600smile.gif
Bfwiat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back