Sony MDR 7506 vs. Audio Technica ATH M50x
Jan 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Santana Eternal

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been looking to buy a new pair of cans for quite a while now and have sifted and filtered through the myriad of options to arrive at these two after some extensive research.
Which would you recommend? I would prefer the opinion of those who've owned and extensively used both.
The headphones would be used exclusively for music listening, the music being every genre of rock (classic, metal etc.), every genre of classical and every genre of jazz.
In addition, the qualities associated with the headphones are listed below in order of importance:

- Sound Quality (detail, accuracy compared to source etc.)
- Passive noise isolation and sound leakage
- Comfort
- Build
- Price

Cheers :) 

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 4
I've never used the Sonys but the M50Xs are very good value, they are very comfortable and built well enough to last a fews bumps and drops, although at high volumes they do leak slightly so I wouldn't use them somewhere like a library for example

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 4
The big difference is one of sound signature. 

The 7506 is a studio can designed to stay very close to neutral.  Some call it sterile or boring.

The M50X is more colored--with more bass and treble and somewhat recessed mids.  Many prefer this sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back