Sony mdr-7506 V.S. Shure SRH440
Dec 20, 2010 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dom31

New Head-Fier
Looking to get my first set of full sized headphones (besides skullcandy). I narrowed it down to these two. I will mostly listen them unamped with a zune hd or my laptop.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 9
Hey :),

What made you narrow it down to these two choices?

The Sony MDR-7506's are used by Advanced Electronic Dance Music extrodinaire Paul van Dyk as his studio reference headphones on the road and has also stated he is able to get a production near finished without any other source but his MacBook. This was word of mouth rather than an official interview to plug Sony. Will you be using them professionally at all?

I've also seen him, however in past interview videos wearing the cans while enjoying his favorite music.

They have a very flat response and great passive isolation. Again, I'm not sure you have any intent on using them professionally?

I can't really comment on the Shure's as I haven't read much about them.

Good luck.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, from what I've read The Sennheiser HD 448's fall into that price range and have high effenciency for portal devices, slightly less low-end than the aforementioned cans, but a better overall sound. They're known to be Sennheiser's best bang for the buck headphones. :)

Quote:
They both fell into my price range.$80-100

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't think you can go wrong with both, they sound great unamped and if you happen to get a cmoy down the line they will sound even better. both are great entry level cans and they are made to last. get them from an authorized dealer, NO EBAY (you get fakes)

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 9
Since the MDR 7506 is just a MDR V6 with a blue sticker instead of red and different numbers sorta like AKG K701/702 I have experience with the MDR V6
The Sony's are horrible headphones insane treble,no mids,no bass. Just treble and you can't even make another headphone have that much treble with a integrated amp and its frequency knobs.
It has a lifeless,music void,sterile sound.

SRH 440 are one of the best sounding headphones for its price.

If live in the USA/Canada you might want to try jr.com call them and see if they are still selling them for $69.99 new
You could also look into the Sennheiser like someone mentioned but I've never heard them.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 9
You might be disappointed in the bass, then. I wish I could evaluate my new pair further (grr...Christmas gift), but in the combined time of about 45 minutes across the two pairs of these I've heard before I'd say the bass is definitely present but not featured. The SRH440 is quite neutral from what I've heard (with a slightly bright treble spike), and while I think the bass extends further than HeadRoom gives it credit for, it doesn't have crazy sub bass extension. What's there seems reasonably tight, though, and nicely punchy.

You might like the SRH750 or the Audio-Technica M50, as both will have more bass than the SRH440. They're a little more expensive, though (ain't that always the way 
biggrin.gif
). I compared the latter directly against the SRH440 and the M50 does have noticeably more bass extension and volume than the SRH440. For some reason kick drums are insanely present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back