Sony MDR-7506 or Senn HD280Pro: your call
Jun 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Banned at his own request
Quite simple question. Just considering which one is more comfortable and durable. I hear also that the 280Pro lacks bass and with 64 ohms it is harder to drive. Which one is better for a portable source, if you are to choose?

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 15
You can probably find a few threads about this. The HD280 has among the most clamping force of headphones, although I got used to it and wasn't so bothered by it after a few weeks (great for isolation). The V6 is more comfortable, more portable/smaller, and generally said to be better-sounding (I'd say so too--I have both). I don't know which is easier to drive, but they're both pretty easy (aye, who hasn't been with at least one?).

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 15
I had both, well actually, my brother has my HD280 these days. As long as your source is not to harsh or bright, the 7506 is the clearer, better balanced and to my ears the better sounding headphone.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. It's 7506, please, not V6. There's a difference.

I'm interested to hear what the difference is. Did Sony change the 7506 or something? Because it's pretty much been accepted that the two are the same thing for as long as I've lurked at head-fi.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. It's 7506, please, not V6. There's a difference.

oh really?

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourstruly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested to hear what the difference is. Did Sony change the 7506 or something? Because it's pretty much been accepted that the two are the same thing for as long as I've lurked at head-fi.

Yes, clearly the OP is interested in getting a gold plated plug as opposed to a nickel plated one.

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure they're the same. From an older link :
Quote:

The official replacement part numbers, as provided by Sony, indicate that every part number is the same between the two headphones except for:

-outer covers that have the model number engraved on them
-cord/plug assembly[the 7506 has a gold plated plug, the V6 has a nickel plated plug]

All other parts are listed as the same, including the transducers.

The price difference is due to different markets. The MDR-V6 is distributed through Sony's consumer division. The MDR-7506 is distributed through Sony's professional division. These two headphones are intended for different markets.

Is there a benefit to purchasing the MDR-7506? Maybe. It does not involve the actual product, but instead the warranty of the product. Some complaints have surfaced online within the last couple of years that when the MDR-V6 has a problem, Sony's consumer support department wants to replace it with the Sony MDR-V600[a different and inferior headphone, but Sony lists this as a replacement for the V6] instead of providing a replacement MDR-V6 or fixing the MDR-V6. The MDR-7506 will be replaced with a MDR-7506 or repaired. Consider the $30 premium to be the cost of a warranty

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 15
7506 way better SQ than the HD280, and very easy to drive, even from a portable source. More comfortable, too.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Quite simple question. Just considering which one is more comfortable and durable. I hear also that the 280Pro lacks bass and with 64 ohms it is harder to drive. Which one is better for a portable source, if you are to choose?

I owned the HD280, but not the 7506 or V6. I rate the HD280 low in comfort unless your head is narrow, and low on durability. Also, the HD280 needs power for the bass to come out.

FWIR, the 7506 and V6 sound the same, and the V6 usually sells for less.

If choosing between the HD280 and 7506/V6, I'd get the Sony.

You may prefer other headphones. Why limit your choice to these two? How much are you looking to spend?

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 15
I prefer the sound of the HD280 -- even though it is less comfortable -- and sold my 7506. Bass for me is fine on the HD280 driven by my Onkyo integrated amp, but you will not find many defenders of this headphone on headfi.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 15
the hd280 is NOT durable. search the net- many complaints of headband cracking

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 15
I briefly owned the 7506 when purchasing headphones to relieve me of my after my cracking headband HD280 professional. I gave the 7506 to my brother and repaired the headband of the HD280. My brother has a sensitive ear to frequencies and cited that the HD280 is much clearer than with the Sony's however when it comes to exceptionally deep bass overtones, the Sony does not cut it. Never decline a gift so my happily accepted my loss and took the 7506.

He eventually purchased a brand new HD280-professional. Uses the 7506 for SKYPE while playing music and other audio through the HD280. Talk about irony.

That is my two cents. Durable, I have to agree it isn't, however with a little bit of time, lots of epoxy and black electrical tape (you heard me right) and the headphones are much more durable. The look has changed from being flimsy to overly flimsy, however this tape up has been surviving the test of time for the last four years. No more additional cracks.

Last thing, when amped, the HD280 sounds very good. Un-amped, however not so much, but really depends on how many hours the headphones have. From my experience, the sound difference between 6000-hours versus my now 13000+ hours is rather greatly. The sound-stage is very expansive (amped) while the dynamics and character greatly improved toward warmth and liveliness. This is just based on my listening observations.

Take care everybody and have good weekend

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the sound of the HD280 -- even though it is less comfortable -- and sold my 7506. Bass for me is fine on the HD280 driven by my Onkyo integrated amp, but you will not find many defenders of this headphone on headfi.

^... except me and yklee118. What's up, my brother! Congratulations on your HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back