Sony MDR-7506: not so indestructible, not so easy to warranty?
Jan 21, 2008 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
I have happily owned a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones for 3 years now and just ran into my first real problem with them. The problem occurs on the cord, about 3" down from the left earcup. This section of the cord is especially soft and almost gummy. It has begun breaking down, exposing the bare wires inside.

Now I would think the logical thing to do would be call Sony and have them deal with it, since this in in their "professional" lineup of products, but I am getting no where with them without a serial number, which is no where to be found on these things.

My uncle has a pair of the older Japanese made 7506's and they are distinctly better. The cord is made of a harder, shiny black plastic which has held up nearly twice as long now, and still retains its shape much better than these later chinese manufactured models. It's unfortunate that companies make such drastic cost-cutting changes to their product lineup, and far worse when they don't stand behind them!
mad.gif

Anyone know a contact with Sony I can talk to?

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Anyone have ideas for me? I hate to throw out an otherwise good pair of headphones...

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 6
I want something durable and nice, if it can be re-cabled.

Is there a guide on how to do it someplace?

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want something durable and nice, if it can be re-cabled.

Is there a guide on how to do it someplace?

Dude, I'm pretty sure it CAN be done.
Check DIY forums to understand what wires are inside and what's their purpose.
To simplify it for you, there is a left, right and ground wire.

Left cup: ground and left signal
RIght Cup: ground and right signal

Look in the DIY forums and ask for help there.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back