Sony MDR 1R vs Vmoda m100 - Help!
Jul 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tkdk01

Head-Fier
Hi fellow headfiers! I am trying to choose between these two headphones. Other competitors in similar tier with these headphones are either uncomfortable or way too expensive for me. I can find both the sony and vmoda for a cheap price. Of course I can find sony's for much cheaper that the Vmoda m100s. I tend to focus on the mids when I listen music with bass a close second. I prefer really nice thick and lush mids and bass that has nice punch and enough quantity to engage me in the music. I am leaning towards the sony 1r after reading about its mids and thick and lush sound. I know many have described the M100s as having a recessed mid section. But are the mids still lush sounding? I am afraid that if I buy the sony mdr 1r I would missing out on the M100 because I have heard nothing but good about the vmodas. I listen to a lot of Indie (Run River North, Bon Iver, Angus and Julia Stone, etc), blues (Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmie Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Albert King)  classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, etc)  female vocalists, country, and of course the Beatles haha. Which one would you recommennd for the genres I listen to? I look forward to hearing from those who have owned and heard both! Thanks in advance! :)

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 10
The V-Moda is more bass heavy than the Sony, and comparing side by side, the Sony has slight more forward mids.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 10
If you want a bassy can theres also the yamaha pro 500.
The price has dropped from $400 to $250 in the US
Most people say it is an upgrade over the mdr1r
They benefit from an amp
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628488/yamaha-pro-headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/653792/yamaha-pro-500-vs-sony-mdr-1-r
http://www.head-fi.org/t/653626/yamaha-hph-pro-500-review

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the response guys. I am still going to choose between the vmodas and sonys because I can find them for cheaper prices than other closed portables. I am leanings towards the sony mdr 1r because some have said it has a euphonic character to its sound. This begs the question - which one of these cans are more engaging for the genres I have listed?

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 10
  Thanks for the response guys. I am still going to choose between the vmodas and sonys because I can find them for cheaper prices than other closed portables. I am leanings towards the sony mdr 1r because some have said it has a euphonic character to its sound. This begs the question - which one of these cans are more engaging for the genres I have listed?

Its hard to say. A lot of people hate the m100 when rock and metal is playing but the mdr1r may not be bassy enough for some.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 10
To be honest, the ue 6000 look very bulky. I have seen and heard them at a best buy and I did enjoy the sound. But the bulkiness of the headphone and beatsesque styling throws me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back