Sony MDR-1R or Soundmagic HP100?
Sep 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Quintenzee

New Head-Fier
So, I got a friend of mine who's already done some research himself, and has narrowed down his search to 2 cans, the Sony MDR-14 and the Soundmagic HP100. He mostly listens to EDM and rock, but I know he actually only listens to EDM. He's not a basshead, and rather has a focus on mids with a punchy but balanced bass. I haven't really looked into these cans, so I don't know if they fit his listening style, but any suggestions would be welcome. :)

P.S. He's also open for ideas/suggestions about other cans of around $150/$200

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 8
i dont know about the soundmagic, but the 1R has a rather loose mid bass with not that good bass extension, warm mids with refreshingly clear vocals and treble is a bit rolled off to me. For EDM, the 1R may lack a tight, deep bass punch. The bass is rather slow and flabby

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 8
you can let your friend check out these:

PSB M4U1 (neutral sounding)
Nad Viso HP50 (sounds like the PSB as they were made by the same person, but with slightly more bass for a warmer sound)

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 8
he may also like the Sennheiser urbanite XL (if not within price range go for the cheaper urbanite on ear. The XL is more neutral, the urbanite on ear is more bassy

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Also, have your friend consider the HP150. Soundmagic updated the design a little with better cabling. The HP100/HP150 is more of a neutral class of headphone with a bit of bass and treble emphasis. Whether or not the bass would be enough for your friend is a personal preference thing and impossible probably for anyone to predict.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions!
I'll let him check out the PSB M4U1 and the Nad Viso HP50.
How about the comfort of the urbanite on ears? Is it really worth it to pay that much for the xl ones?

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 8
I am not to sure about the urbanite on ear and XL as they are new and i have not heard them yet, i only recommended those 2 for you to check out. I only heard the PSBB and Nad before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back