Sony MDR-1R or Audio Technica ATH-M50? (Leave COMMENT AND/or VOTE IN POLL)
Nov 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

androidisbest

New Head-Fier

If, I look/sound dumb, Its because I'm the new guy here i'm new in the market for new headphones, Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sony MDR-1R, both sound very similar, I listen to Pop, hip-hop, Rap, alternative, and Rock, (Don't care about the price since $300 is the limit) so please help the new guy!

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 5
The ATH-M50's are good for everything but I don't about the Sony's. The Sony's will also cost you about twice as much so I am sure they have great audio quality aswell.

But if you do decide on the M50's get them from yoyo.

M-50 for $83.  Coupon code TOY40 and free 2-day shipping. 

Big up to automaton for finding this deal! :D

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 5
I have both.  Well, I have the M50s and the 1RNC.  The M50s are great for the price.  Punchy sound, detailed, and neutral throughout.  However, it sounds cold and the sound is not as enjoyable as the warmer sounder 1RNC.  I imagine the M50s are great for monitoring purposes, but from my experience with both, I like the sound of the 1RNC much more.  The bass in the 1RNC is much bigger in impact, and quality noticeably better too.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Op, I've heard great things about the V-Moda Crossfade M-100. Its also in your price range. The Sennheiser momentums are also well reviewed. 

Honestly i know little of each, but just giving you some options.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 5
the MDR-1R is one of the most comfortable portable headphones I've tried, and they look good too. The sound is a bit more relaxed than the M50, with a bump in the midbass area. Detachable cable with and without iphone remote headset as well.

As an all rounder I'd go with the 1R. Based purely on sound, maaaybe the M50 since it's got a little more sparkle. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back