Sony MDR-1R / MDR-1RNC fix for jack rattle
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:
Only had mine just over a week and there is a pretty serious rattle. 

I'll give my DIY washer fix a try for a month or two, if it comes back as an issue I will contact sony for a replacement pair. 

As far as your pics go RogueGeek, my jack & cable look exactly the same. It's the whole female end of the jack inside the headphone casing that is moving, as far as I can tell the connection of male to female jack is fine / not rattling.

Did they come with the rattle, or did it loosen up and start rattling over time?

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:
Did they come with the rattle, or did it loosen up and start rattling over time?

Literally the 3rd / 4th day I had them the jack inside the headphone loosened up. I would try swapping them from HMV but I bought them from HMV in the UK and they have closed down / are closing down now :frowning2:

after a few days of using the headphones with the washer theres no knocking sounds but it is annoyign as the washer is easy to lose... Is there a specific page / contact at sony to get an RMA ? im going to have a look now.

Quote:
great, it's not loose anymore, thanks!

It only takes a tiny amount of something to wedge between the cable jack and the headphone body jack to stop it moving... dont fancy permanently gluing anything to the headphone though :/ 

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #19 of 41
I'm on my fourth week of owning these. Every day, I plug and unplug the cable so I can transport the cans. I am still not experiencing the port looseness. Is everyone who's experiencing it find it happens with both cables?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:
Literally the 3rd / 4th day I had them the jack inside the headphone loosened up. I would try swapping them from HMV but I bought them from HMV in the UK and they have closed down / are closing down now :frowning2:

after a few days of using the headphones with the washer theres no knocking sounds but it is annoyign as the washer is easy to lose... Is there a specific page / contact at sony to get an RMA ? im going to have a look now.

It only takes a tiny amount of something to wedge between the cable jack and the headphone body jack to stop it moving... dont fancy permanently gluing anything to the headphone though :/ 

Oh no it's not permanently glued on at all. I can remove the cable with ease and take off the blu-tack If I wanted, although I'm not 100% sure that all of it would come off since I haven't tried but I don't see why not.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #21 of 41
I'll try and ask again. Can someone throw up a video demonstrating the rattle?

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #22 of 41
I no longer have the rattle because of this solution and due to the blu-tack I can't try the other cable (with remote) out but it was just like it was loose enough to shake at the socket. If you had it then you'd know

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #23 of 41
Nice to hear it is working for quite a few out there. Mine is still stuck on with blu-tack since the day of this post and holding up fine.

Oh the video demonstrating the "rattle" it will be extremely hard. It happen in such a small scale, camera won't pick up such small movement but it can be enough to make noises through the earcup.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:
Nice to hear it is working for quite a few out there. Mine is still stuck on with blu-tack since the day of this post and holding up fine.

Oh the video demonstrating the "rattle" it will be extremely hard. It happen in such a small scale, camera won't pick up such small movement but it can be enough to make noises through the earcup.

some of the blu-tack is stuck along the female part, that won't matter will it?

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #25 of 41
Hi, I bought a pair MDR-1R a few weeks ago and have received a pair with jack rattling, since I ordered the headphones off ebay from an UK seller, there wasn't any way I can really get a replacement, so I bought some tack to try to see if I can fix it. I tried putting it on the cable part like the OP and found out that is pretty inefficient if you keep pulling the cable out since I'll be using these during my commute on the train. While wiggling the jack with the tack on the cable I found that the jack rattle is caused by the connecting part on the headphones not fitting on the outer shell (Sorry for my description). So instead I fitted some tack on the outer ring of the connecting part by using a tooth pick to slide and poke in it into the small gap slowly so it looks like the connector has a little ring of tack. Now I don't have the jack rattle problem and have no problem removing the cable as often as I want since the connector is snug fit on the outer shell part and doesn't move. Also no worries about tack getting into the jack. Would post a picture if I could.

May 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #27 of 41
I have had the rattling issue with mine.  I applied three thinly sliced (cut with my "trusty blade" black electrical tape on the ring of the jack and it fitted the rattle.  If people are interested, I can do a video on the rattle and the fix.

May 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 41
I have had the rattling issue with mine.  I applied three thinly sliced (cut with my "trusty blade" black electrical tape on the ring of the jack and it fitted the rattle.  If people are interested, I can do a video on the rattle and the fix.

Great job mate! I'm one of the few lucky ones who doesn't have this problem. But at least we now have a clean fix just in case it becomes a problem in the future. Thanks for sharing. Good on yah!

May 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

That looks like an excellent solution. Unfortunately my pair has the jack rattle issue as well, it would be appreciated if you could upload a video of how you did that fix exactly. My current solution is just a piece of tape on the outside holding the jack in place, I've been thinking about a much more elegant solution to this problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back