Sony MDR-1R in silver unboxing video and impressions
Nov 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
Just got this yesterday.  I'm breaking it in right now.  Here's a quick unboxing on it.  Stay tuned for impressions.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Excellent video, look forward to hear your impressions of the sound of these beautiful headphones. One question how is the build quality of the mdr-1? Had the opportunity to see the mdr-x10 (another $ 300 headphone offering from sony) and hold in my hands this weekend and I was very unimpressed. They felt very cheap to me, the quality felt much cheaper than the original beats solo's, which I always thought felt extremely cheap. Very interested in purchasing the mdr-1r at the end of the week to compare the sound to my beyer t70p, which have tremendous build quality as someone has stated about them before, 'felt like putting a mercedes on their head'. Build is almost important to me as the sound; I don't want to pay $300 for headphones and they feel like they should be $50.

I feel that the t70p are lacking something, maybe they are too mechanical sounding, not musical enough. I've heard great things concerning sound of the mdr - 1r, so these might be the replacementfor the t70p. Already own the beyer COP thanks to recommendations from you and others here on the forums and they are definitely keepers. But if the mdr - 1r feel as cheap as the x10 than that will definitely be a deal breaker.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 9
I agree that the X10 can feel a bit underwhelming in the hand. I have not used the X10 in my system so I can't say if its worth the price tag. I'll report back about the 1R in the coming days/weeks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Excellent video, look forward to hear your impressions of the sound of these beautiful headphones. One question how is the build quality of the mdr-1? Had the opportunity to see the mdr-x10 (another $ 300 headphone offering from sony) and hold in my hands this weekend and I was very unimpressed. They felt very cheap to me, the quality felt much cheaper than the original beats solo's, which I always thought felt extremely cheap. Very interested in purchasing the mdr-1r at the end of the week to compare the sound to my beyer t70p, which have tremendous build quality as someone has stated about them before, 'felt like putting a mercedes on their head'. Build is almost important to me as the sound; I don't want to pay $300 for headphones and they feel like they should be $50.
I feel that the t70p are lacking something, maybe they are too mechanical sounding, not musical enough. I've heard great things concerning sound of the mdr - 1r, so these might be the replacementfor the t70p. Already own the beyer COP thanks to recommendations from you and others here on the forums and they are definitely keepers. But if the mdr - 1r feel as cheap as the x10 than that will definitely be a deal breaker.
Thanks.

The MDR 1R is much higher quality feeling.  The plastic of (what I think is) the X10 is disgustingly cheap feeling.  They're really light and don't have a lot of clamp force.  Really comfortable.  It felt pretty mid oriented.  There was sparkle, maybe a little bright, and not a ton of bass impact( but nice bass overall).  They were boring at first but as I kept listening I was pretty impressed.  Separation was the best aspect imo.  Had an oddly nice soundstage 

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 9
The sony mdr 1r is a good looking headphone,comfortable,with nice build quality.It's case and the carying pouch are also nice.

To be honest,the sound is not up to my expectations after some usage.It has some good qualities,like a smooth,non offensive treble,good imaging,and a grain-free sound,but it is very coloured in the mids-mid bass,and is laidback at the high frequencies,so the sound is overly warm,a bit unnatural,and a bit veiled.I don't know if they need more burn in,but I really doubt they'll change so much after more use.

I also own shure srh 840,akg k550,krk kns 6400,and I believe all these three have a clearly better overall sound,especially 550 and 840.
I really wish it had a sound signature like 550 or 840 or something close to that,because sony's look much better on the head and has great fit and comfort...It would be the perfect headphone for me.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
The sony mdr 1r is a good looking headphone,comfortable,with nice build quality.It's case and the carying pouch are also nice.

To be honest,the sound is not up to my expectations after some usage.It has some good qualities,like a smooth,non offensive treble,good imaging,and a grain-free sound,but it is very coloured in the mids-mid bass,and is laidback at the high frequencies,so the sound is overly warm,a bit unnatural,and a bit veiled.I don't know if they need more burn in,but I really doubt they'll change so much after more use.

I also own shure srh 840,akg k550,krk kns 6400,and I believe all these three have a clearly better overall sound,especially 550 and 840.
I really wish it had a sound signature like 550 or 840 or something close to that,because sony's look much better on the head and has great fit and comfort...It would be the perfect headphone for me.

any chance of selling them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back