Sony MDR 1AM2 vs Momentum 3's
Jul 4, 2021 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ZoomB

New Head-Fier
I have the Sony MDR 1AM2 with a Zen Dac using a balanced cable. Will I notice a huge difference in sound quality if I upgrade to the Momentum 3's with their own amd/dac ?
Also can I use the Momentum 3's out of my Zen Dac with a balanced cable ?

Edit : lots of reviews praise the Momentum 3 bass but my Zen Dac allows be too boost the bass on the Sony's . Are the two comparable in any way, quality wise since the quantity is there ?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Those praising M3 bass must be bass-heads. Too much bass. I couldn't stand the hammering bass. M3 will sound much different. It's totally V-shaped in comparison to 1am2. Treble has a shrill quality to it. I think M3 performs better, but I really dislike the v-shape. I like the Sony XM3 better due to a milder response. XM3 uses the same driver as 1am2, but EQ's and it sounds better represented in the mids (and treble emphasis reduced) than 1am2 due to the EQ applied to it when in powered mode. XM3 is very practical with the best ANC. I'd recommend it over the M3.

XM3 is a very smooth sounding headphone and it had good amount of bass that doesn't get too much like the M3.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 7
XM3 uses the same driver as 1am2
Its the exact reason why I went with the 1am2 at the time as they were cheaper.
Now the Senheisers are 50% discounted on their website for a few more hours and I'm inclined but not quite 100% sure that I need a new pair of headphones.

Do you know how the balanced cable works ? Can I used a balanced amp with balanced cable with a non balanced headphone ? Are headphones balanced ?

Jul 4, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 7
Its the exact reason why I went with the 1am2 at the time as they were cheaper.
Now the Senheisers are 50% discounted on their website for a few more hours and I'm inclined but not quite 100% sure that I need a new pair of headphones.

Do you know how the balanced cable works ? Can I used a balanced amp with balanced cable with a non balanced headphone ? Are headphones balanced ?
They don't sound the same despite the same driver. XM3 sounds worse in passive mode, and I realized that's when it sounds like the 1am2. Which makes total sense. Where is Sennheiser 50% off?

I don't see any point of using balanced cable with headphones like that. They are so easy to drive.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 7
They don't sound the same despite the same driver. XM3 sounds worse in passive mode, and I realized that's when it sounds like the 1am2. Which makes total sense. Where is Sennheiser 50% off?

I don't see any point of using balanced cable with headphones like that. They are so easy to drive.
The 1AM2 are only 16 ohm and I could swear I heard a jump in sound clarity when I first connected them to the balanced output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back