Sony MDR-1A or Senheiser momentum?
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

doginabag

New Head-Fier
Looking at these two at the moment for on the train and in the office.

The momentum's I know I like, have tried in a store and with my little ears they fit right and are very comfy to me, however right now the price is a little too much for me to swallow. £169 on amazon (though the ios versions are only £127, grrr).

The sony's are something that keep coming up as something that interests me and are currently available at a more manageable price, £108. However I cannot find anywhere to demo them.

Has anyone been able to compare these two sets? Are they worlds apart, will i be kicking myself if I go with the budget option?

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 6
I own the Momentum 2 and have auditioned the MDR 1A for a week or so. The M2 are sturdier and feel much more expensive than the MDR. The MDR has a lot of cheap feeling plastic compared to the metal and leather that makes up most of the M2. Sound wise, the MDR sounds much more bass heavy but the issue is that the bass is sloppy and bleeds into the mids. The M2 still has good bass but it's much more refined and sounds much better to me. It also sounds more balanced while retaining its fun sound. I think the M2 is the objectively better headphone, but price is a big deal in comparing them. I wouldn't pay more than 250 USD for the M2 honestly. It's overpriced by Sennheiser, as are many of their headphones

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you. this is the first direct comparison that I have been able to get!

I was wondering about the build quality of the sony's. They look nice in their promotional images but it's easy to make material look more premium than they are.

Sound like I should hold out on paying a bill or two this month, but interesting in what you say about senheisers being overpriced. With that in mind, is there anything that you would consider to be comparable to the M2 that justifies it's price better?

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 6
I think the Sony definitely looks nicer in pictures than it really is. I was quite disappointed with the build when I finally tried it myself. As for the overpricing of the Senn headphones, I would try to find a Black Friday deal or something. I haven't heard many other portable headphones in this price range but the main competitor to the M2 is the B&W P7. It looks arguably nicer and has a similar sound. Perhaps you can find a deal on that? The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the cable gets inserted under the earpad, so you have to take the earpad off to plug and unplug the cable to the headphone. It's not difficult, just an odd design choice. I was able to flag down a guy wearing them once recently and he let me try it for a minute. Build quality is amazing and they look stunning in a classy, mature way. A head turner for sure. Also, maybe check out Zeos' reddit page for a list of options in his "fashion can" category. Most or all are portable closed backs and they span a good range of budgets. https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/66wz27/guide_headphones_general_usemusic/

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the info. There is currently a deal on amazon where the M2's are £169 ($222) but annoyingly are even cheaper ($167) if you happen to want the apple variant. The P7's as lovely as they look (I haven't heard them) are a lot more expensive over here at $370.

For the record, I'm not specifically looking at fashion headphones, but at this price point do expect a certain level of build quality.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the info. There is currently a deal on amazon where the M2's are £169 ($222) but annoyingly are even cheaper ($167) if you happen to want the apple variant. The P7's as lovely as they look (I haven't heard them) are a lot more expensive over here at $370.

For the record, I'm not specifically looking at fashion headphones, but at this price point do expect a certain level of build quality.
Firstly, I'll thank you for my 1,500th post :) And secondly, the list is indeed "fashion cans" but the reason I linked it is because they're all meant for portable use and his recommendations are solid.

For $222 I'd get the Momentum 2 for sure. That's a very competitive price and will be better than anything else for 200 bucks IMO.

Since the P7 is more expensive, I'd suggest not getting that one, just because the P7 and Momentum 2 are really worth the same amount of money in terms of sound. I wouldn't pay extra for either of them as it's a better deal to take the less expensive one.

With the Momentum 2, you'll be pretty happy with build. Everything is solid and well-made. The headband has nice contrast stitching along the top and everything feels expensive. They fold nicely and look amazing. The headband isn't very thick but it feels comfy on me at least. The earcups are exceptionally comfortable and soft too. I think the Momentum 2 is a perfect fit for what you need!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back