Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 211
These went right back to me. Nothing compared to the 1R in terms of sound, comfort, looks and even build.

The sound of 1R was louder & more neutral-ish when compared to 10R. Louder in the sense, I had to crank up the volume a bit higher from what I was listening with 1R. The sound was almost non-existent. Vocals sound distant with the 10R.

The look of 1R beats 10R

1R feels more durable.

Padding of 1R looks and feels more solid.

The pouch of 10R really is cheap.

Why did Sony have to mess around with 1-R to bring a 'cheap' looking 10R. I hope they stop there and dont go on with 20R and so on.

10R feels like a stripped down version of 1R

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 211
The 10R is not a replacement for the 1R the MK2 will be it's replacement.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 211
Just bought these and they sound amazing!
Very balanced sound neutral highs rolled off slightly
Then I added an amp to these babies and I couldn't be happier at this price, much fuller rich sound from portable devices. I use a iPhone 4 and the fiio e11 is perfect!

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #22 of 211
squallkiercosa suggested I add my discoveries here from my main topic (http://www.head-fi.org/t/691126/what-is-the-difference-between-the-sony-mdr-10r-and-sony-mdr-10rc#post_9992848)

But basically, there are 4 new Sony MDR-10 series (newly announced, a step down from the MDR-1R series).

So you have:

MDR-10RNC (the noise cancelling one)
MDR-10RBT (bluetooth, NFC, wireless one)

and then these two:

MDR-10R
MDR-10RC

Now there is absoltuly no difference in these two models apart from the 10RC is foldable and is on-ear (sits on the ear) whereas the 10R is not foldable and over-ear (covers the whole ear).

It seems that the 10R is US and the 10RC is UK (both available in Asia). Pictures for comparisons are in the link.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any information on these?

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #23 of 211
the white MDR-10r look really damn sexy. there really aren't many really nice-sounding, nice-looking portable pure white over-ear headphones w/ removable cables. it's sad that the sound quality isn't an upgrade for the MDR-1Rs are else, I would snipe these in a heartbeat.

I'm a bit confused. things are on-ear or over ear? the earcups look smaller than the 1Rs. how's the comfort - anyone have a negative experience?

note: I'm not quite sure what Sony is doing w/ the 10r at the price point of $190-200ish, since you can find the 1r's at a similar price point now and I heard that the new 10r are supposed to be a budget version.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #24 of 211
I believe the 10R is over-ear, but the kind of over-ear that might end up touching your ears anyway, like the Sennheiser Momentum. That was my impression when I tried them.

Recently I saw the 10R hit a street price of about $130/$140 in Australia, so there is a bit of price differentiation from the MDR-1R.

Still haven't heard the 10R or the MK2 yet. I was surprised to see that all the MK2 variants made it to Australian shores though!

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #25 of 211
As someone in the US, what do you guys recommend?

1R?
10R?
1RBT
10RBT?
MK2?
MK2BT?

I kinda wanted the 10RBT when they release as they are smaller and only $250 but I am now worried that the SQ will not be as good as the 1 and mk2 series. Also can anyone confirm or deny that the bluetooth versions dont sound as good as the regular version?

All I want is good clear sound with good bass and soundstage, should I just stick with my iems?

If you look at InnerFidelity's measurements for the MDR-1RBT as compared the MDR-1R, the sound quality is measurably worse. With that said, any Bluetooth headphone at the present moment will have tradeoffs. I've been using the MDR-1RBTs for the past few months, and I've gotta say that they sound phenomenal, especially in regards to the bass and soundstage. To me, the ability to go wireless is more than worth the drop in audio quality, which may not even be noticeable to most people. (Do note that Bluetooth still has latency issues, so don't expect to use it for things like video games. Movies are generally fine.)

Very interested to see how the MDR-10RBTs compare to the 1Rs and the other 10Rs. I might consider an upgrade!

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #26 of 211
Bluetooth should sound worse, or at least "different". Since the limitation of Bluetooth transfer protocol, it can only reproduce the 20-20k Hz range. But when you use it with the included cord, the (claimed) frequency range explodes to 4-40k Hz.

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #27 of 211
Bluetooth should sound worse, or at least "different". Since the limitation of Bluetooth transfer protocol, it can only reproduce the 20-20k Hz range. But when you use it with the included cord, the (claimed) frequency range explodes to 4-40k Hz.

Yes you can definitely tell the difference between using the 10RBTs wired or via bluetooth. That being said the convenience of bluetooth is worth it, for me anyway (I generally plug in when I am at my desk and unplug when I am commuting).

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 211
Yes you can definitely tell the difference between using the 10RBTs wired or via bluetooth. That being said the convenience of bluetooth is worth it, for me anyway (I generally plug in when I am at my desk and unplug when I am commuting).

That's exactly the point of a BT headphone. Don't buy BT if you want the absolute quality. And don't buy the absolute quality if you want portability and convenience. I don't even know if a BT headphone that sounds good really exists. Parrot's Zik seems to have good comments, but too big for me (in both its style AND price).

I find the 10rbt to reproduce a somewhat artificial sound. Can't point it precisely though. They only have 5-10h of play. Have you notice a significant change after an extended period of use?

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #29 of 211
I have the MDR-1RBT and while very very good... they really don't match up to the PFR-V1 i have which is just really detailed and has a great sound stage... 

that being said, you will never see me outside with the PFR-V1, however i'm happy to bring the MDR-1rbt.... mind you, i also tested the mdr-1r (bought it for my gf). But have to little hours on it to really comment on it.

I had tried the ZIK ... I was on the fence about the fit, i generally don't like on ears (i have glasses so that will hurt after half an hour).

furthermore, the ZIk's only have 9 hours of power and they crappy sound by cable... it was pretty much a sealed deal, either the mdr-1rbt or the mdr-1rbtmk2 (the 10r looked to be too small). I was just lucky to get the new mdr-1rbt for very cheap.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #30 of 211

That's exactly the point of a BT headphone. Don't buy BT if you want the absolute quality. And don't buy the absolute quality if you want portability and convenience. I don't even know if a BT headphone that sounds good really exists. Parrot's Zik seems to have good comments, but too big for me (in both its style AND price).

I find the 10rbt to reproduce a somewhat artificial sound. Can't point it precisely though. They only have 5-10h of play. Have you notice a significant change after an extended period of use?

I think I have noticed a difference in the sounds of these over time? But I can't say whether it is more a matter of the 10RBTs "breaking in" or me getting used to them... or a little of both. I recall that initially I wondered if I had made the right choice because it seemed like my earbuds (Sony, plugged into a Sony bluetooth receiver) sounded better... but now I am totally fine with the sound coming out if these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back