Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #77 of 211
Good to know. The 10r seems better for portable use. Anyone know where I can find a case for them?

I've been using these for ours (my wife and I each have a set of 10-RBTs) and they work great.

Bluecell EVA Protection Carrying Hard Case/Bag for Audio Technica Headphone + LCD Cleaner Stylus

http://amzn.com/B009YONZEG

They fit the 10-RBTs snugly, with no extra space, and have a small mesh section to hold the detachable headphone cable. It's almost as if they were made for each other.

Also they were very inexpensive.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #80 of 211
From here. The special was only until the 30th December, and I'm getting that $199 headphone stand for free, too!

2laQjfH.jpg

skZpHLq.jpg

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #82 of 211
Hmm, what's this?

1q1GB0e.jpg

I finally got my free headphone stand!

vruZxDI.jpg

Nothing special - just a piece of plywood that's kinda shaped like a head. It also kinda looks like the Sieveking Sound Omega Headphone Stand, but probably a bit smaller.

uvXsarL.jpg

It says that it's made for the Sony MDR-10r. It's surprising that Sony decided not to make one for the 1r.

kg01fCy.jpg

Of course, you can put whatever headphone you want on it.

LA96vQS.jpg

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #83 of 211
I saw that Dick Smith deal but held off on it due to discovering the Philips SHL3300. Without demo'ing the MDR-10R I couldn't bring myself to buy them knowing I could buy two pairs of the Philips with the same money.

Even if the MDR-10R offered the same sound as the MDR-1R (mk1), I still prefer the sound of the Philips.

The design of the MDR-10R looks fantastic though, and the free headphone stand was a sweet bonus!

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #86 of 211
  I saw that Dick Smith deal but held off on it due to discovering the Philips SHL3300. Without demo'ing the MDR-10R I couldn't bring myself to buy them knowing I could buy two pairs of the Philips with the same money.

Even if the MDR-10R offered the same sound as the MDR-1R (mk1), I still prefer the sound of the Philips.

The design of the MDR-10R looks fantastic though, and the free headphone stand was a sweet bonus!

I didn't demo the 10r before buying them. I just knew it was a good deal, being on a slightly lower level than the 1r. Plus I had the gift card and it came with a free headphone stand, so I took a chance.

Anyone want to compare the 1R and 10R?

1r over the 10r:

Larger, sturdier build
Spacious sound
Sound has clearer and well defined mids and highs
Flatter response overall
Headphone jack is not "proprietary", can use many other cables
Silent silicone-lubricated hinges

10r over the 1r:

Smaller, slimmer profile
Tighter bass
Cheaper
Lighter
Headband extensions click in place better

Other differences:
When worn the right way around your neck, the 1r's earcups rotate outwards with the cushions facing upwards, while the 10r rotates inward to show off the nice design.

Lucky Australians... 

I'd say I was very lucky, because tech stuff is usually about 20% more expensive here than it is in the US.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #88 of 211

Users who are viewing this thread

Back