Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 13, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #2,417 of 2,709
Has anybody used the 1000XM2 in the office environment and especially in telephone / Skype calls. Based on the online manual, you can get the voice to the ears, but you have to hold the mobile / computer in hand and use their microphones for talking. Is is really so, and are there any workarounds for it? Based on the the discussion in this thread, Sony uses somewhat special cable in these, so it might not be possible to easily replace that with a cable that has a microphone in it?
http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm2/v1/en/contents/TP0001513201.html

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #2,418 of 2,709
Has anybody used the 1000XM2 in the office environment and especially in telephone / Skype calls. Based on the online manual, you can get the voice to the ears, but you have to hold the mobile / computer in hand and use their microphones for talking. Is is really so, and are there any workarounds for it? Based on the the discussion in this thread, Sony uses somewhat special cable in these, so it might not be possible to easily replace that with a cable that has a microphone in it?

I use it all the times with my android 7 phone without any problem. I make voice calls using hangouts, whatsapp. I still didn't try skype (I decided to abandon skype because of it becaming a bloated app after microsoft acquisition).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #2,419 of 2,709
I use it all the times with my android 7 phone without any problem. I make voice calls using hangouts, whatsapp. I still didn't try skype (I decided to abandon skype because of it becaming a bloated app after microsoft acquisition).

Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder how does talking in office work in practice. Do you have a separate cable that has a microphone, or do you use the microphone in the headphones? If you use the headphone mic, does it capture also the talking that people around you are doing in the open office environment?

This is the only remaining issue I have with these headphones, because if I cannot use them in online meetings without hassle, then I have hard time justifying to purchase to me.

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #2,421 of 2,709
Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder how does talking in office work in practice. Do you have a separate cable that has a microphone, or do you use the microphone in the headphones? If you use the headphone mic, does it capture also the talking that people around you are doing in the open office environment?

This is the only remaining issue I have with these headphones, because if I cannot use them in online meetings without hassle, then I have hard time justifying to purchase to me.
I use it wireless for talking using google hangouts or whatsapp. I don't think there are any cable with microphone for it, as it would be strange because the original cable has only 3 contact rings in the p2 connector (you need four minimum: 1 for the microphone, 2 for the stereo audio and 1 for the common ground return). So if you are using it with a cable you will not be able to talk using any microphone other than your cellphone integrated mic.

You have to consider that it don't have directional microphones like a gaming or a professional headset, so ambient noise and peole talking will be noticed by the headphone integrated microphones, but I asked when I tested It calling my wife when I was riding my bike (lot's of wind noise) and she saind she could still understand me better than with my older bluetooth headphones (Sony MDR 1RBT) using the ambient sound ON, so I would not worry about noisy enviroment. Still, if you want really clear voice than there is not other sollution than buying a proper gaming headphone with unidirectional mic (better if the mic has noise-cancelling to remove the external and breathing noise like the Sennheiser GSP 350 )

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #2,422 of 2,709
Can you connect to a second blue tooth source without having to turn off bluetooth on the first source (as I have to do with M1)?
If you ask about the wh-1000xm2 yes, you can, but you need to understand something first:
bluetooth have different audio profiles, there are mainly:
  • Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
  • Hands-free Profile (HFP)
  • Headset Profile (HSP)
Notice that normally the audio quality is lower for HFP and HSP connections because is reserves bandwidth for microphone transmission. The A2DP is for high quality audio but it does not include microphone flux. This means that a single phone will connect to both A2DP and the HFP (or HSP) profiles. When playing music it will use A2DP, otherwise when microphone is being used (a phone call for example) it will switch to the HFP (or HSP) profile. Putting HFP (or HSP) just to listen to music will lead to lower audio quality. So pairing two devices only matters if you want to listen to audio from one source while being connected to your phone using HFP (or HSP) profile to receive/make phone calls.

Look here and here for information about connecting two devices at the same time.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,423 of 2,709
Can you connect to a second blue tooth source without having to turn off bluetooth on the first source (as I have to do with M1)?
Unfortunately M2 works the same as M1. It can't connect simultaneously to two devices and automatically switch between them, like the QC35 and some others. None of the Sony headphones have this feature, and it is a glaring omission compared to other brands.

What it can do (both M1 and M2) is that you can set up Bluetooth on your phone only for phone calls and a second device only for Bluetooth audio media and it will work with both at the same time. But what I really want is to automatically swap Bluetooth audio media between phone and laptop, which is possible on Bose but not Sony.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,424 of 2,709
Unfortunately M2 works the same as M1. It can't connect simultaneously to two devices and automatically switch between them, like the QC35 and some others. None of the Sony headphones have this feature, and it is a glaring omission compared to other brands.

What it can do (both M1 and M2) is that you can set up Bluetooth on your phone only for phone calls and a second device only for Bluetooth audio media and it will work with both at the same time. But what I really want is to automatically swap Bluetooth audio media between phone and laptop, which is possible on Bose but not Sony.
OK thanks for info. Doubt I will upgrade then. Happy with my M1

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #2,425 of 2,709
Earlier in the thread, someone reported that this cable with microphone fits the 1000X: https://www.amazon.com/d/460/KetDir...e-Headset-Audio-Microphone-Control/B01DYGKTDE
If you have another microphone cable and it doesn't fit the Sony, you can trim the plastic around the plug so that it can be completely inserted into the headphone jack.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #2,426 of 2,709

I think you're talking about the section in the User Guide where it discusses calling when using a cable. You need to use the device Mic because bluetooth is turned off when using a cable and so the mic on the headphones is inactive.

The mic in the headphones works perfectly well when using wirelessly.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #2,427 of 2,709
I picked up the WH-1000XM2s at Best Buy today. They unfortunately didn't have the Studio 3s in stock. I'll be receiving those on Wednesday and I'll do a comparison after using both for awhile. I'll admit I'm liking the WH-1000XM2s much better than my M100s after a few hours of listening.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,428 of 2,709
I picked up the WH-1000XM2s at Best Buy today. They unfortunately didn't have the Studio 3s in stock. I'll be receiving those on Wednesday and I'll do a comparison after using both for awhile. I'll admit I'm liking the WH-1000XM2s much better than my M100s after a few hours of listening.

1000xM2's are the best sounding NC/Wireless headphones in the market at this very moment, BOSE fell flat once again with the QC35II.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,429 of 2,709
1000xM2's are the best sounding NC/Wireless headphones in the market at this very moment, BOSE fell flat once again with the QC35II.
I’m really enjoying them. Much more comfy compared to my M100s and overall sound is better at all frequencies. The Studio 3s are appealing to me due to the W1 chip and the fact that they’re geared towards people who listen to hip-hop/rap as I do.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #2,430 of 2,709

Is that still the case or do the new B&W PX have the better sound? Can't decide between PX and 1000xM2. Mostly interested in best sound via AptxHD/LDAC rather than NC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back