Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #2,401 of 2,709
Correction: Google Pixel, Nexus 5x/6p does support LDAC and almost any other Oreo phone if the manufacturer supports it. It's a software codec and free since Sony licensed it to Google. But since the update there have been issues with BT connectivity. I experienced that just an hour ago. Fixed it by restarting the BT on the phone and reconnecting my headset. Google is supposedly working on a fix.

LDAC is highly unstable, it cripples from time to time specially when lots of Wifi signals are around, you can hear the skipping, I preffer APT-HD when Wireless.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,402 of 2,709
LDAC is highly unstable, it cripples from time to time specially when lots of Wifi signals are around, you can hear the skipping, I preffer APT-HD when Wireless.
Odd, I don't have this issue while using LDAC but then again I am using either the NW-ZX2 or NW-ZX300 as the audio source. Perhaps the stack that's used by Google in Oreo has issues, after all Oreo is not currently a finalized product. Either that or the device you are using (Google Pixel or whatever) does not have a fully LDAC compatible bluetooth controller and isn't able to perform at the required power output levels (LDAC requires more power to operate than APTX on the source side), in fact it is quite the power hog as far as the NW-ZX2 (which runs on Android 4.2.2) is concerned, the NW-ZX300 lasts a lot longer in LDAC operations but there isn't a whole Android OS with a whole bunch of non required services (for a DAP that is) running on the thing.
Either way, bluetooth controllers power requirements when it comes to LDAC are extremely regulated, only a handful of controllers match the specs, it's not just a matter of loading the LDAC stack and calling it a day, if you do that you might certainly run into issues.

The power requirements issue is the very reason why Qualcomm did not push the boundaries of AptX HD all the way to LDAC's 990kbps bandwidth, another reason however is latency, something in which AptX HD performs better than LDAC does.

LDAC was purely designed to carry high definition music tracks over bluetooth with as little compromise as possible when it comes to quality, that's great for audio/music listening, not so much when it comes to watching movies or playing games.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,404 of 2,709
Odd, I don't have this issue while using LDAC but then again I am using either the NW-ZX2 or NW-ZX300 as the audio source. Perhaps the stack that's used by Google in Oreo has issues, after all Oreo is not currently a finalized product. Either that or the device you are using (Google Pixel or whatever) does not have a fully LDAC compatible bluetooth controller and isn't able to perform at the required power output levels (LDAC requires more power to operate than APTX on the source side), in fact it is quite the power hog as far as the NW-ZX2 (which runs on Android 4.2.2) is concerned, the NW-ZX300 lasts a lot longer in LDAC operations but there isn't a whole Android OS with a whole bunch of non required services (for a DAP that is) running on the thing.
Either way, bluetooth controllers power requirements when it comes to LDAC are extremely regulated, only a handful of controllers match the specs, it's not just a matter of loading the LDAC stack and calling it a day, if you do that you might certainly run into issues.

The power requirements issue is the very reason why Qualcomm did not push the boundaries of AptX HD all the way to LDAC's 990kbps bandwidth, another reason however is latency, something in which AptX HD performs better than LDAC does.

LDAC was purely designed to carry high definition music tracks over bluetooth with as little compromise as possible when it comes to quality, that's great for audio/music listening, not so much when it comes to watching movies or playing games.

I used the Sony Xperia XZ, the flagship fro sony, even then, it still skipped like crazy when I walked around Manhattan.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,405 of 2,709
Overall, I'm more than happy and please with the update to the M2's. I've had the Momentum Wireless, Parrot Zik 3, Bose QC 25 & 35 and the 1000xM2 are by far my favorite so far. I never had any Cracking/Creaking sound like others have reported, the addition of the APTX-HD codec is a welcome feature of the new cans. Amazing sound like the old 1000x return, in addition to a more PLUSH and comfortable feel of the leather, when the cans are wired, the sound resolution increases to 4Hz - 40Khz. Ony con so far is the inability to connect more than one device at the same time, lets say my LGG6 and my Razer Blade laptop.

In the end, thank you Sony!

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,408 of 2,709
I posted this earlier in the thread, but LDAC implementation on the M2 is much, MUCH better than on the OG 1000x. On the original, it was nigh unusable. I'd still get occasional skipping even though I'd already turned off wifi on my phone (to reduce interference). On the M2, there's no need for this. I leave it on sound quality mode and there's no skipping.

Very pleased with LDAC on the M2, it works flawlessly.

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,409 of 2,709
I posted this earlier in the thread, but LDAC implementation on the M2 is much, MUCH better than on the OG 1000x. On the original, it was nigh unusable. I'd still get occasional skipping even though I'd already turned off wifi on my phone (to reduce interference). On the M2, there's no need for this. I leave it on sound quality mode and there's no skipping.

Very pleased with LDAC on the M2, it works flawlessly.

cool, looking to check out LDAC once again whenever I get it on my LGv30.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,410 of 2,709
I have the new 1000xm2 and I noticed that the included cable is a stereo mini plug. I tried using the standard audio cable from my other headphone (Sony 1RBT) and it does not really fully fit the headphone socket. I have noticed bad contact and sometimes mono audio and noise. The connector base is round and does not allow any standard cables to really fit in.

So I recommend to not loose the original audio cable.

Sony and their "features" atacks again.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2,411 of 2,709
I demo'd a pair of 1000XM2's, admittedly just in a store, however they did exhibit a strange behaviour. With NC on but no music playing they seemed to replicate (very faintly) whatever tune was playing over the store's sound system. This wasn't just noise cutting through the NC - the headphones actually played it. It was almost like the NC was trying too hard and over-compensated. Has anyone else noticed this?

With music playing this behaviour seemed to go away but it may just have been drowned out.

Admittedly the SQ lived up to the reviews and the NC when music was is indeed very good but I couldn't get on a) with this slightly odd behaviour and b) the looks and build. Purely subjective I appreciate but personally I think they look and feel cheap. They also did not quite fit my head comfortably

Whilst the SQ is not as good I am afraid I ended up with the QC25 II's.

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,412 of 2,709
I demo'd a pair of 1000XM2's, admittedly just in a store, however they did exhibit a strange behaviour. With NC on but no music playing they seemed to replicate (very faintly) whatever tune was playing over the store's sound system. This wasn't just noise cutting through the NC - the headphones actually played it. It was almost like the NC was trying too hard and over-compensated. Has anyone else noticed this?

With music playing this behaviour seemed to go away but it may just have been drowned out.

Admittedly the SQ lived up to the reviews and the NC when music was is indeed very good but I couldn't get on a) with this slightly odd behaviour and b) the looks and build. Purely subjective I appreciate but personally I think they look and feel cheap. They also did not quite fit my head comfortably

Whilst the SQ is not as good I am afraid I ended up with the QC25 II's.

I would disagree, I have never meet anyone that would prefer the sound reproduction of the QCs from Bose over the 1000x's headphones.

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,413 of 2,709
I would disagree, I have never meet anyone that would prefer the sound reproduction of the QCs from Bose over the 1000x's headphones.
I think what danny was saying was while the M2 sounds better than the QC35, he just couldn't get with the M2's ANC.

No such issues with my set, but with certain ANC settings the headet will actually let some external sound in. that might have been it?

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #2,414 of 2,709
I think what danny was saying was while the M2 sounds better than the QC35, he just couldn't get with the M2's ANC.

No such issues with my set, but with certain ANC settings the headet will actually let some external sound in. that might have been it?

You're right in your interpretation of what I meant. The 1000MX2's did sound better but imo listening on the move is compromised at best so SQ not the most important thing to me. I have a pair of Hifiman HE1000 v2's at home fed by a Trilogy 931 amp and there's simply no point trying to compete with that in the commute!

With regards to the NC - no I had ANC (not the ambient mode) on full and it was definitely faintly replicating the store music.

Now it might have been interference, it may have been the ANC over-compensating or some other specific issue with the store set up but if they did start doing that in the wild it would have driven me mad.

The NC on the 35 II's is exceptional also. I had a pair of 35's when they first came out and Bose have certainly tweaked the algorithm as it has improved over time.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2,415 of 2,709
You're right in your interpretation of what I meant. The 1000MX2's did sound better but imo listening on the move is compromised at best so SQ not the most important thing to me. I have a pair of Hifiman HE1000 v2's at home fed by a Trilogy 931 amp and there's simply no point trying to compete with that in the commute!

With regards to the NC - no I had ANC (not the ambient mode) on full and it was definitely faintly replicating the store music.

Now it might have been interference, it may have been the ANC over-compensating or some other specific issue with the store set up but if they did start doing that in the wild it would have driven me mad.

The NC on the 35 II's is exceptional also. I had a pair of 35's when they first came out and Bose have certainly tweaked the algorithm as it has improved over time.
True, no point being super picky about SQ in travel cans. SQ is paramount at home when you can control your listening environment; outdoors is a whole different kettle of fish. ANC does go a long way in removing ambient noise from the listening experience, it's just a matter of finding a can that works for you. I read your last post in the QC35 thread with some amusement because I totally get where you're coming from, I've also just about had it with inane chatter and screeching train noise cutting into my music. In that sense ANC has been an absolute blessing.

I dove in headfirst into the ANC market with the QC35, but after owning them for about a month or so it seemed to me that the Active EQ was just stripping all the joy out of the music, thus I let my pair go. Too bad the M2s didn't work out for you but hey whatever, it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back