Sony MDR-1000X
May 7, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,026 of 2,709
I want to use them on both journeys, I know I will use them for many years after but I'd like to use them for this trip too also.

50% as one way out, one way in. If I can't use it the way out then that's 50%.

I really dont get what you mean man. Why wouldnt you be able to use them on a trip?

May 7, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,028 of 2,709
wasn't it just confirmed that I can't use it while it is charging? at least the ANC part?

That is 99% of the reason I am getting these....
Why would you need to use them while they re charging? They have a 20h battery life. And besides, I know no ANC headphones that work while charging. Bose don't, neither do the Beoplay ones (h7, h8).

May 7, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #2,029 of 2,709
Why would you need to use them while they re charging? They have a 20h battery life. And besides, I know no ANC headphones that work while charging. Bose don't, neither do the Beoplay ones (h7, h8).

Because I will be buying them at the airport, straight into my flight.

May 7, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,030 of 2,709
Because I will be buying them at the airport, straight into my flight.

Well I suggest you buy some non NC headphones, or an older model that runs on batteries if you can find one. However, mine came with about 80% battery charge out of the box. I still dont get it. You buy them, lets assume they have 0% battery (highly unlikely, all manufacturers sell their gadgets with some charge for testing purposes). You charge them then use them. They re not disposable headphones. Or are you planning to throw them out when you land for some weird reason?

May 7, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,031 of 2,709
Well I suggest you buy some non NC headphones, or an older model that runs on batteries if you can find one. However, mine came with about 80% battery charge out of the box. I still dont get it. You buy them, lets assume they have 0% battery (highly unlikely, all manufacturers sell their gadgets with some charge for testing purposes). You charge them then use them. They re not disposable headphones. Or are you planning to throw them out when you land for some weird reason?

No, but I would like to use them on both end of the trips.

May 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,032 of 2,709
No, but I would like to use them on both end of the trips.

So your overwhelimg factor of decision in buying a pretty expensive gadget is whether or not it has battery from the get go? And you decided that from finding out on this forum that you cant charge them while using them, which is hardly the same thing? And you never once thought of just going to the shop and asking if they have charge in them, or get them, opening the box, and returning them immediately in case they have 0 charge?

Thats some very weird logic when deciding to buy a high end piece of equipment, but oh well, to each his own.

May 7, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,033 of 2,709
So your overwhelimg factor of decision in buying a pretty expensive gadget is whether or not it has battery from the get go? And you decided that from finding out on this forum that you cant charge them while using them, which is hardly the same thing? And you never once thought of just going to the shop and asking if they have charge in them, or get them, opening the box, and returning them immediately in case they have 0 charge?

Thats some very weird logic when deciding to buy a high end piece of equipment, but oh well, to each his own.

The logic is simple, is using them on the trip there worth £50.

I have plenty of headphones, I even have some NC too, getting a spare pair of headphones isn't a problem. The bigger problem is actually that box I have to carry there and then back !

May 7, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2,034 of 2,709
The logic is simple, is using them on the trip there worth £50.

I have plenty of headphones, I even have some NC too, getting a spare pair of headphones isn't a problem. The bigger problem is actually that box I have to carry there and then back !

If you are listening from your laptop, the PXC 550 can charge and play at the same time via its USB cable, I think the ANC works this way as well. Although most wireless headphones should come charged, even if partially, and unless you are flying 20+ hours to the other side of the globe, they should be sufficient to last your entire flight.

May 7, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,035 of 2,709
For what it's worth, I have decided to return my pair of 1000x. The squeaking is getting annoying and frankly I think it has got worse since I first notice them last week, now I hear them every time I move my jaw.

As a noise cancellation headphone, I think its ANC is superb and far ahead of my B&O H9, it manages to cancel out most of the train/bus noise even when no music is playing and human voices are mostly muffled as well. I find the ambient/voice mode a little gimmicky, I don't use them, though the cupping your hand over the right earcup to hear ambient noise is kinda helpful, if a little awkward. I don't think the mode where it supposedly better adjust its noise cancellation based on your head/ear shape actually do anything much, I don't hear much difference before and after, but then as mentioned, the ANC is already very good to begin with. Touch control is far better than my H9 as well, while the H9's touchpad is unreliable to the point that I mostly control music through my phone, the 1000x is reliable enough for me to control music using its touchpad. That said, physical buttons are still much preferred for me - I still get a few unwanted touches on the 1000x, though nothing catastrophic like redialing my last called number like on my H9.

As for sound quality, I must say again these really are not even close to the P7 Wireless(in fact I don't think any ANC headphones currently in the market are), and it is not just a matter of sound signature, the P7 Wireless just betters the 1000x in every category, bass is more impactful without bleeding into mids, vocals sound sounds fuller/more emotional, highs are more extended without being harsh, details are easier to pickup, separation is better, etc. Let's just say that while I think I can live without my desktop setup with just my P7 Wireless, I don't think I will be as happy if I am stuck with the 1000x, it is just an all round more enjoyable listen on the P7 Wireless.

Anyway, I would have considered keeping mine for use as a travel headphones if it wasn't for the creaking, these tick alot of boxes for a travel headphones.

May 7, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #2,036 of 2,709
If you are listening from your laptop, the PXC 550 can charge and play at the same time via its USB cable, I think the ANC works this way as well. Although most wireless headphones should come charged, even if partially, and unless you are flying 20+ hours to the other side of the globe, they should be sufficient to last your entire flight.

It'll be use mostly from my iPhone 6, perhaps wired into my Switch.

May 7, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,037 of 2,709
Does Ldac make a big difference with bluetooth audio? I am using an S7 edge right now. Was thinking of getting the XZ premium because it is getting good ratings and looks attractive.

Anyone with an XZ premium here can tell if its worth it?

May 8, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #2,038 of 2,709
Does Ldac make a big difference with bluetooth audio? I am using an S7 edge right now. Was thinking of getting the XZ premium because it is getting good ratings and looks attractive.

Anyone with an XZ premium here can tell if its worth it?

Ive got the XZ, also has LDAC (xperias have had ldac for a couple of years now). Yes, it makes quite an impactful difference provided you re listening to at least 16 bit FLACs. Doesnt make much of a difference on paper if youre listening to mp3s, but the 1000x has DSEE HX which upscales mp3s. Can't disble it to tell the difference, but when used wired on my XZ which also has the same upscaling tech, there s more openness to the mp3s when setting it on.

May 8, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #2,039 of 2,709
It depends on your priorities. For me they are my travel cans, so the three major points for me are

ANC - here the Sony shines.
Sound quality - Sony's is good, PSB M4U2 is considerably better.
Form factor - the Sony's case is half the size of my PSB M4U2's. As I prefer to travel hand luggage only, this is also important

So for the task, the SONY checks all the boxes - and consistently comes up top or second on the different criteria. YMMV

The M4U 2s are by far the best sounding noise canceling headphones on the market, it really is a shame that they feel like a pair of fake Beats from the local night markets.

// Alex

May 8, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #2,040 of 2,709
The M4U 2s are by far the best sounding noise canceling headphones on the market, it really is a shame that they feel like a pair of fake Beats from the local night markets.

// Alex

In my opinion the M4U2 is a top notch headphone with a brilliant built in amp, that just happens to have an ANC mode as well. They're the best with amp on and ANC off (middle position).

They're not that good as travel cans, though, for the reasons I mentioned - form factor and mediocre ANC (at least on airplanes - in office environments it might be a different case)

But, but - they sound sooo much better than the Sony (which sounds nice, I like them, btw) and any of the Bose's I've tried, which is small surprise. I'm sad that they are so often overlooked in reviews and stores. Also, it seems that they were a one-off, Paul Barton then went on to create the NAD HP50, but nothing since (3-4 years)

But we're weering off the MDR-1000X topic here :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back