Sony MDR-1000X
May 5, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,012 of 2,709
That's very interesting, could you please clarify on "offensive treble", in my experience the treble on the PXC550s is well balanced and appears a little dull due to (as you said) bass eating up the lower mids.
I've never had the opportunity to try out the 1000x but I'd love to give them a whirl.

// Luke

Well to start off, the bass eats up the lower mids, the trebble is higher, if I were to put a rough estimate, I'd say certain sounds/instruments above 10k (which is almost upper trebble or "brilliance" as some call it, nowhere near lower mids, which are from 250 to 400hz) are a bit too "Bright". Offensive as in I felt the need to lower the volume, but only because of these sounds, as in lowering the volume to prevent my ears from being uncomfortable, but at the same time feeling as though the volume for the rest of the freq range needs more oomph.

I listen to most headphones pretty loudly, depending on the source, but in the case of bluetooth headphones definitely at max since they're not crazy loud. If I feel the need at some point to lower the volume due to some high freq piercing sounds, that means, for me at least, that the treble isn't refined/balanced properly. I listened to some Caribou songs (Second Chance) and Led Zeppelin (Whole lotta love) - both 16 bit FLAC. Another thing of notice that made the 1000x the clear choice is the fact that I could quite clearly tell the quality difference - the 550pcx uses standard APTX codec, but on my XZ phone when using the LDAC connection that is available on the 1000X as well (basically up to 990kb/s bitrate uncompressed vs about 330kb/s as aptx can) you could noticeably hunt out more "air" between the higher frequencies and a more refined low end presence due to the fact that it sounded more like a 16 bit Flac. This doesn't have anything to do with the 550's drivers, plugged in it manages to achieve that resolution of course, but being able to properly listen to uncompressed audio files wireless, AND tell the difference, which basically translates in a significantly (to my ear) better sound quality when listening to higher res files, made the 1000x a clear winner for me.

I could get into the tech details, but it would be boring and i'm not an expert, what I can say is that all the mumbo-jumbo tech that Sony packed into the 1000x (their LDAC losless bt codec tech, S-MASTER HX high res amp capable to amp frequencies from 5 to 40,000khz, and their DSEE HX tech that, as sony says, upscales mp3s to "near high res quality" by filling in -somehow- the missing sample rates - you can read more about them on the sony website) and the adaptive NC, which cuts down the NC to almost 0 if there's almost no ambient noise outside - and as we know, NC does affect sound quality a bit - somehow managed to make them a really really good sounding wireless headphone. The best I ever tested. And I tested most, except the beoplay H8, and this new "DACless" audio technica headphone that they just came out with.

May 6, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #2,014 of 2,709
I already own few better wired cans from beyer dynamics ...I wanted a wireless one ...

Read reviews comparing bose qc 35 and 1000x. Although reviews were favoring sony, i was more inclined towards bose because of the brand. Went to Sony shop and heard some music on 1000x and just bought it... :)

May 6, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,015 of 2,709
I already own few better wired cans from beyer dynamics ...I wanted a wireless one ...

Read reviews comparing bose qc 35 and 1000x. Although reviews were favoring sony, i was more inclined towards bose because of the brand. Went to Sony shop and heard some music on 1000x and just bought it... :)

I have a flight coming up and will primarily getting these for flights. My problem is I can get them £50 cheaper at the airport, so the dilemma is can I use them straight out of the box or do they need charging? I have a portable USB battery so I guess I can charge while I use?

May 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,016 of 2,709
So, are these still the best on the market? Been reading lots of reviews and the Sony seems to be on top on most people's list.

I finally got a chance to listen to the MDR-1000X, and while I was impressed with the level of control south of ~600Hz, I still prefer the sound signature of the PXC550. The mids on the Sony's are lacking, which can make vocals sound quite recessed, they're a little too laid back sounding for my taste. Don't get me wrong, they're definitely not bad cans, I just prefer the more forward nature of the PXC550.

Next chance I get to listen to them I'll compare soundstage, because I didn't get enough time to compare them in-depth.

// Alex

May 7, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #2,017 of 2,709
So, are these still the best on the market? Been reading lots of reviews and the Sony seems to be on top on most people's list.

It depends on your priorities. For me they are my travel cans, so the three major points for me are

ANC - here the Sony shines.
Sound quality - Sony's is good, PSB M4U2 is considerably better.
Form factor - the Sony's case is half the size of my PSB M4U2's. As I prefer to travel hand luggage only, this is also important

So for the task, the SONY checks all the boxes - and consistently comes up top or second on the different criteria. YMMV

May 7, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #2,018 of 2,709
I have a flight coming up and will primarily getting these for flights. My problem is I can get them £50 cheaper at the airport, so the dilemma is can I use them straight out of the box or do they need charging? I have a portable USB battery so I guess I can charge while I use?

IIRC they worked out of the box, but for a long haul I'd give them a charge. Go early to the airport and charge them there before the flight. 50 quids are 50 quids!

May 7, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2,019 of 2,709
IIRC they worked out of the box, but for a long haul I'd give them a charge. Go early to the airport and charge them there before the flight. 50 quids are 50 quids!

My flight is at 7:30am and my standard practice is to get there 90mins before and the store opens at 5:30am so it's not enough time to charge it fully as I hear it takes 4 hours to charge them up. I guess I will have to use the 1st journey wired up with a cable to the battery.

Can you use it whilst it is plugged into the USB battery and charge and use at the time same?

May 7, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,020 of 2,709
I finally got a chance to listen to the MDR-1000X, and while I was impressed with the level of control south of ~600Hz, I still prefer the sound signature of the PXC550. The mids on the Sony's are lacking, which can make vocals sound quite recessed, they're a little too laid back sounding for my taste. Don't get me wrong, they're definitely not bad cans, I just prefer the more forward nature of the PXC550.

Next chance I get to listen to them I'll compare soundstage, because I didn't get enough time to compare them in-depth.

// Alex

I have to admit, sound quality is not my first criteria, Noise Cancelling, convenience, comfort, features are more important. I listen to podcast mostly where sound quality is not important, I don't listen to that much music,

May 7, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,021 of 2,709
Sony got a lot of the practical nuances wrong. I own both the Sonys and Boses (QC35) and if sound quality is dismissed, then I feel that Bose wins in every possible criteria. They are smaller, more streamlined. They come with the best travel case, which is very similar to Sony's except again a bit smaller and has better features. In silent environments, Sony ANC has an audible hiss which is almost completely nonexistent with the Boses. (Bose's achievement is really impressive, because it will actually tone down the natural echoing noise inside the ears that's is due to small sealed ear cups.)

One fairly big gripe with the Sonys, for me, is that the cups rotate in the opposite direction to the Boses. This means that to pack them up in their travel case, you have to turn the headphone around in the air, which feels pretty dumb when you stop to think about it. With Boses you only take them off of your head, fold them and put them down.

Sonys also make noises (plastic crackling) while wearing them, while the Boses are completely silent.

But all of these are nuances, tiny details, nothing earth-shattering. They're all pretty great cans.

Sound quality is more subjective but I think both are average at best. Though, Sony supports more advanced Bluetooth codecs that are supposed to enhance sound quality, but my devices don't support them, so I can't comment on that.

Basically it comes down to whether or not you appreciate the additional features that Sony offers over Bose. That is different ANC modes, touch controls, and maybe I forgot something.

Can you use it whilst it is plugged into the USB battery and charge and use at the time same?
No, not via Bluetooth at least. I guess that they will work in passive wired mode, though, that is without ANC and the extras.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,022 of 2,709
Sony got a lot of the practical nuances wrong. I own both the Sonys and Boses (QC35) and if sound quality is dismissed, then I feel that Bose wins in every possible criteria. They are smaller, more streamlined. They come with the best travel case, which is very similar to Sony's except again a bit smaller and has better features. In silent environments, Sony ANC has an audible hiss which is almost completely nonexistent with the Boses. (Bose's achievement is really impressive, because it will actually tone down the natural echoing noise inside the ears that's is due to small sealed ear cups.)

One fairly big gripe with the Sonys, for me, is that the cups rotate in the opposite direction to the Boses. This means that to pack them up in their travel case, you have to turn the headphone around in the air, which feels pretty dumb when you stop to think about it. With Boses you only take them off of your head, fold them and put them down.

Sonys also make noises (plastic crackling) while wearing them, while the Boses are completely silent.

But all of these are nuances, tiny details, nothing earth-shattering. They're all pretty great cans.

Sound quality is more subjective but I think both are average at best. Though, Sony supports more advanced Bluetooth codecs that are supposed to enhance sound quality, but my devices don't support them, so I can't comment on that.

Basically it comes down to whether or not you appreciate the additional features that Sony offers over Bose. That is different ANC modes, touch controls, and maybe I forgot something.

No, not via Bluetooth at least. I guess that they will work in passive wired mode, though, that is without ANC and the extras.

Squeaking isnt an issue on my device, at least, and the rest of the gripes you described are absolutely subjective. I never rotate my earcups for storage, for instance, I just fold them up.

It ia true that the 1000x hiss a bit more than the QC35, but as far as SQ is concerned, they re night and day, there s no way someone can test the 1000x thuroughly and finf them "average sounding", just check the multitude of online reviews, dont take my word - oh and they need to be testsd a few days at least - burn in is as real as it gets with these headphones, they open up quite a lot after about 40 h of use.

Violins and strings for instance sound incredibly artificial with NC on on the bose, yet they re quite filled with emotion on the 1000x.

I wrote a detailed review a few pages back, but basically, what I can say is:

A) Though NC, 1000x are the only NC headphones that to my ear suffer no sq drop due to NC

B) They re basically a more precise, dynamic and controlled in the bass MDR 1A headphone. It seems that Sony took all the 1A criticism and made the 1000x

C) They sound fenomenal through my Dragonfly Red. Better than the 1A (provided you dont push the volume over 60-70%, powered on, NC off, as the bass heavy tracks will distort a bit past that point). And I compared the 1A prior to getting the 1000x on the Red vs the Dennon MM400, oppo PM 3, Msr 7, momentum 2 and BW 7. 1A and P7 sounded thr best to my ears and on my music: I am always searching for fun, engaging, slightly bassy full sound. I dont like extremely flat and lean sound. I want to feel the emotion, not monitor the audio for producing purposes. And now on the same DAC the 1000x sound better than thr 1A.

C) If used from a smartphone (tested the Xperia XZ and iPhone 6s plus), the sound is noticeably better on BT than jack. Sound is more precise, midds are better defined, bass is less bloated and faster, more controlled.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,023 of 2,709

That defeats 50% of the reasons of getting the headphones if I can't use ANC on the first journey...hmmmmm

May 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,024 of 2,709

Users who are viewing this thread

Back