Sony MDR-1000X
Apr 3, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #1,816 of 2,709
  I can't imagine how it would only be activated when the Bluetooth is engaged so you must be right. I will experiment and see if I like the effect when using my NAD rig. Cheers.

You can use the 1000x with power on and with NC off (wired or wireless), and still get a better sound quality (overall) than with power off.
Shortly, DSP is engaged ASA you turn on the headphone.

Listening while wired just get more information to the headphone/DSP to process, so that results in an even better overall experience with these.

Looking forward to your comparisons of all the possible listening possibilities, mate!

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #1,817 of 2,709
Finding my self can't get a good seal with slight not center head tilt. Can hear outside noise creeping in. Might just be my head but not sure. On the previous faulty unit there are no such issue. This only happen on right side tho.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #1,818 of 2,709
a lot of people are saying that Sony has fallen off with audio quality in their mainstream offerings since their 90s. but I think the 100x is a glimmer of hope since they are giving bose a run for its money.

It needs to do the same with its more mainstream offering to really compete with Sennheiser. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #1,819 of 2,709
Really like the 1000X. The bass could be more prominent for my tastes, but I'm a bit of a basshead and rather enjoy mostly electronica music these last few years. Roasting up some Deadmau5 as I type with the 1000X. Very nice tight, fast bass, just a little more quantity and I would be extremely happy in that regard. Still, the detail of the bass is quite good so if you aren't a basshead and favour clean bass the 1000X may just float your wireless boat.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,820 of 2,709

You can use the 1000x with power on and with NC off (wired or wireless), and still get a better sound quality (overall) than with power off.
Shortly, DSP is engaged ASA you turn on the headphone.

Listening while wired just get more information to the headphone/DSP to process, so that results in an even better overall experience with these.

Looking forward to your comparisons of all the possible listening possibilities, mate!

Will indeed give some thoughts on this for sure. I'm an older university student so after the 9th when all my assignments for my last course are done I'll be spending some good time with the 1000X (before summer courses start). Damn I wish I didn't take summer courses but I took too much time off school the last few years.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #1,821 of 2,709
  Really like the 1000X. The bass could be more prominent for my tastes, but I'm a bit of a basshead and rather enjoy mostly electronica music these last few years. Roasting up some Deadmau5 as I type with the 1000X. Very nice tight, fast bass, just a little more quantity and I would be extremely happy in that regard. Still, the detail of the bass is quite good so if you aren't a basshead and favour clean bass the 1000X may just float your wireless boat.

If you want bass, then try them wired, NC on, and listen to some Yosi Horikawa (Wandering)...
A lot of my Tidal account fee is going to this artist lately!

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #1,825 of 2,709
  a lot of people are saying that Sony has fallen off with audio quality in their mainstream offerings since their 90s. but I think the 100x is a glimmer of hope since they are giving bose a run for its money.

It needs to do the same with its more mainstream offering to really compete with Sennheiser. 

Actually almost no one is saying that. I'm obviously talking about professional reviewers, on sites like HI FI Insider, Headfonics, What Hi Fi and others. If you check Sony audio product reviews, you'll find their Headphones in the last 3-4 years at least are very highly reviewed. Besides the 1000X, the MDR 1A, the flagship ZR1, the in-ear EX650AP, XBZ A3, XBA Z5, as well many of their AV Receivers and Headphone amps have received stellar reviews. 

I'm also loving my Bluetooth XB80BS for sports, and I bought them after testing half a dozen wireless sports headphones from many companies. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #1,826 of 2,709
  Actually almost no one is saying that. I'm obviously talking about professional reviewers, on sites like HI FI Insider, Headfonics, What Hi Fi and others. If you check Sony audio product reviews, you'll find their Headphones in the last 3-4 years at least are very highly reviewed. Besides the 1000X, the MDR 1A, the flagship ZR1, the in-ear EX650AP, XBZ A3, XBA Z5, as well many of their AV Receivers and Headphone amps have received stellar reviews. 

I'm also loving my Bluetooth XB80BS for sports, and I bought them after testing half a dozen wireless sports headphones from many companies. 

Z1R is CAN$3000 here, but man, would I love to have the CAN$900 Z7. Seems to be a good compromise.

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,827 of 2,709
Picked up a pair today in Tokyo - ¥37k (320€) with taxfree 8% + 7% coupon applied at Bic Camera. I don't really care for BT (yet?) the main reason I got these is the MUCH smaller form factor and presumably much better ANC compared to the PSB M4U2 - latter will be retired from travel duty. I guess the SQ is better with the PSB but will see.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,828 of 2,709
  I just picked these up because I saw them in the Sword Art Online movie... Not gonna lie I actually love the way these sound..

I used to watch SAO with my daughter quite a bit, but she really preferred season one and didn't adjust to season 2 very well.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,829 of 2,709
  Z1R is CAN$3000 here, but man, would I love to have the CAN$900 Z7. Seems to be a good compromise.

You can do better than the Z7 for less money I believe. I owned the Z7 drove it balanced with the PHA3 as well as through my speaker tap setup with a 180watt dual mono NAD amp so I heard it at it's best. I also own the Z1R (didn't pay $3000). For less money you could find a TH600 or TH610 for instance. Of course that depends on your sound signature preference, but the Z7 while very nice lacks some dimensionality, the sound had a little bit of a flat quality to my ears. Not bad, but for me, it sounded more like a $400 headphone (which is still sounding very nice). The build quality and comfort was excellent. I wouldn't pay over $450 Canadian for the Z7 as there are many highly competitive options in that price range. Still, don't read into this too much, the Z7 is a nice headphone and if you can audition one I would suggest you do. As well, buy on canuckaudiomart as that is a very active selling community and very good headphone equipment comes up there all the time. I bought my Z7, PHA3, MDR 1A there for instance, and sold them through there as well.

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,830 of 2,709

i know some who are. Sony really can't compete with AKG, Sennheisers, bang and olufsen, shure etc in their mainstream offering. 

the zr1 is a legednary headphone but its at 3000thousand price tag definitely not mainstream. Maybe what they should do is make a baby version of the zr1 for 300 dolalrs while retaining many of its qualities. Sony headphones tend to be bassy and I believe the mdr1a is so, not well balanced. 

I definitely wanna get Sony Xba1 earphones and the ex650ap. but the otheres you mentioned are 300 dollar plus earphones. Im more thinking of 100 dollar price tag. And I think i'd rather get sennheisers for 100 dollars. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back