Sony MDR-1000X
Apr 1, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,801 of 2,709
I'll be looking very forward to the Android O update to hear how LDAC sounds with these & my LG V20!

I only have the G4 so not sure if Virgin will roll out O for my device. Truthfully I can't imagine it will really make a difference, but I would certainly like to try it and find out that I'm wrong!

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,805 of 2,709
I think LDAC has a bigger impact on lossless tracks than lossy ones. I have a lot of Apple Lossless files on my phone.

Who knows, I conducted a blind, 7 subject, multiple trial per subject (4 trials) comparing a 320mp3 with the lossless master it was made from. When everything else was controlled for not one of the subjects did better than 50% at detecting the lossy from lossless file so hard to say how much difference there is that is actually audible. Blind listening tests when designed correctly really do shed light into some dark corners.

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,806 of 2,709
Just to be clear: Do NOT use the 1000x powered on, wired, with anything but a smartphone. They are not meant to be used powered on with a powerful dac/amp due to thier pre-set preamp. Only use them powered OFF with amps. 

They do however sound very good with a good amp/dac. Preferably a warm sounding one, as the 1000x are really neutral. 

The dragonfly 1.2 is not that powerful (it's more of a DAC than an AMP). I'd suggest you sell it and get the new Dragonfly RED. It has a much improved dac, much more powerful amp, and most importantly, it's made to be compatible with smarphones (both IOS and Android), due to the low power consumption. Pair that with a usb female - usb type c/microusb/lightning adapter, and their flash ubs-like size make them the ultimate portable audiophile setup. 

Is Sound Blaster E3 considered powerful? I used the headset power on with it and it sound very nice. No distortion at all.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,807 of 2,709
Is Sound Blaster E3 considered powerful? I used the headset power on with it and it sound very nice. No distortion at all.

When the power on the headphone is turned on, and you use the wire the sensitivity increases to 103db from 98db with the power turned off. When the power is on the impedance is 48ohms, so not high; however, when the power is off and the wire connected the impedance drops to 14ohms so I suspect the E3 would be plenty powerful enough. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,808 of 2,709
When the power on the headphone is turned on, and you use the wire the sensitivity increases to 103db from 98db with the power turned off. When the power is on the impedance is 48ohms, so not high; however, when the power is off and the wire connected the impedance drops to 14ohms so I suspect the E3 would be plenty powerful enough. 

E3 marketed to run 600 ohm I do thought it is powerful enough to run nicely. But in my testing. I'm surprised that with wire cable and powered on sound noticeably better then when wire powered off. Not just it is louder, there is better seperation, soundstage, and feel must energetic. Spend quite some time comparing and I'm very much convinced. Wonder is it the DSEEHX in the play or also the S Master HX also helped.

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,809 of 2,709
E3 marketed to run 600 ohm I do thought it is powerful enough to run nicely. But in my testing. I'm surprised that with wire cable and powered on sound noticeably better then when wire powered off. Not just it is louder, there is better seperation, soundstage, and feel must energetic. Spend quite some time comparing and I'm very much convinced. Wonder is it the DSEEHX in the play or also the S Master HX also helped.

I will have to check this myself when I have time. I am not sure what aspect of DSP the signal is processed by when the power is on and you use a cable connection?

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,812 of 2,709
Yes. No wireless is used.

DSP isn't wireless, it is Digital Signal Processing such as the Sony sound engine technology you described.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,813 of 2,709
How do I sell my MDR-1000 for local pick-up only?

You can write that in your ad, but you must have local free classifieds such as kijiji or one of my favourite sites for here in Canada is Canuckaudiomart. I'm sure there are many such sites throughout the US with lots of Garden State members.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,815 of 2,709
Didn't DSEE HX is built into the headphone? As long as it is powered on, it process the sound signal coming from both wire and wires less yes?

I can't imagine how it would only be activated when the Bluetooth is engaged so you must be right. I will experiment and see if I like the effect when using my NAD rig. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back