Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,531 of 2,709
Does the 1000x also eliminate human voices for 100%.
The qc35 did only a little bit eliminate the voices.
For working in an office with many people, i am looking for a headphone which eliminates the voices to get better concentration

Currently no active noise cancellation will eliminate human voices 100% because it would destroy the sound quality. You need to use passive isolation like in-ear monitor or closed back isolating headphones.
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/hf5.html
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/dt-770-m.html

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,532 of 2,709
Jan 22, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,533 of 2,709
  Currently no active noise cancellation will eliminate human voices 100% because it would destroy the sound quality. You need to use passive isolation like in-ear monitor or closed back isolating headphones.
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/hf5.html
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/dt-770-m.html

No active noise cancellation system will eliminate human voices.  NC works by anticipating future noise based on current noise and then creating sound to "cancel" out the future noise.  For NC to accurately predict future noise the current noise must be predictable i.e the drone of a jet engine or hiss of white noise.  Voices, by default, change rapidly and therefore are not easily predictable so NC will have limited to no effect on them.  This is also true of the child crying two rows behind you on the plane.  You need to rely on the inherent isolation ability of the headphones to reduce these noises.  

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,534 of 2,709
  These headphones certainly don't eliminate all voices. But why do you say it would destroy sound quality?

Active noise cancellation works by using a microphone to listen to external noise, and adding the inverse of that signal to the audio.

Ideally, what you really want to know is the noise received at the eardrum, not as measured outside the earpiece. It turns out that the difference doesn't matter so much for lower frequency sounds — they pass through relatively unadulterated (besides attenuation) from the outside, through the headphone case and ear canal to the eardrum. Simply applying an inverse of the noise signal works quite well for lower frequencies, and this technique has been used for decades.

It gets more complicated for higher frequencies such as human voice. Higher frequencies are more affected by surroundings — reflection, absorption, diffraction, passing through different material at different speeds, etc. Furthermore, these effects are non-linear and change with different frequencies. These effects also happen at lower frequencies, just to a smaller degree. The end result is that the external noise recorded at the microphone is not exactly not what is heard at the eardrum. So the challenge is to model the cancellation signal to exactly match the noise that reaches the eardrum, and do it in real time. Any deviation would be inserted into the audio signal as distortion and noise. The technology isn't quite there yet to cancel human voices. To prevent degrading sound quality too much, the noise cancellation effect is fully applied only at lower frequencies.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #1,535 of 2,709
Active noise cancellation works by using a microphone to listen to external noise, and adding the inverse of that signal to the audio.

Ideally, what you really want to know is the noise received at the eardrum, not as measured outside the earpiece. It turns out that the difference doesn't matter so much for lower frequency sounds — they pass through relatively unadulterated (besides attenuation) from the outside, through the headphone case and ear canal to the eardrum. Simply applying an inverse of the noise signal works quite well for lower frequencies, and this technique has been used for decades.

It gets more complicated for higher frequencies such as human voice. Higher frequencies are more affected by surroundings — reflection, absorption, diffraction, passing through different material at different speeds, etc. Furthermore, these effects are non-linear and change with different frequencies. These effects also happen at lower frequencies, just to a smaller degree. The end result is that the external noise recorded at the microphone is not exactly not what is heard at the eardrum. So the challenge is to model the cancellation signal to exactly match the noise that reaches the eardrum, and do it in real time. Any deviation would be inserted into the audio signal as distortion and noise. The technology isn't quite there yet to cancel human voices. To prevent degrading sound quality too much, the noise cancellation effect is fully applied only at lower frequencies.

Got it, thanks!

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,537 of 2,709
Hi
I just got my headphones replaced and the new headphones do not crack at all.
What I wonder now if anyone knows if there is no Replacement Ear Cushions for MDR-1000x?

it is not necessary that they are original, but the important thing is that they are good !

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #1,538 of 2,709
Hi
I just got my headphones replaced and the new headphones do not crack at all.
What I wonder now if anyone knows if there is no Replacement Ear Cushions for MDR-1000x?

it is not necessary that they are original, but the important thing is that they are good !

You can get replacement ear cups for the Bowers and Wilkins P7 wireless. Try those.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,539 of 2,709
You may be able to use the mic cable that works with the Sony MDR1A. Also, I tried a cable from a pair of beats solos and everything fit and sounded fine. I forgot to check playback controls though. You can probably get one of those in an all black color too I imagine.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #1,543 of 2,709
You may be able to use the mic cable that works with the Sony MDR1A. Also, I tried a cable from a pair of beats solos and everything fit and sounded fine. I forgot to check playback controls though. You can probably get one of those in an all black color too I imagine.
There are replacement ear pads. Search:sony X-2593-518-1

Can you link to where that model info shows up as replacement earpads? I can't find anything online noting that info is for earpads, and being able to easily replace the earpads is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the QC 35s.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #1,545 of 2,709
Can you link to where that model info shows up as replacement earpads? I can't find anything online noting that info is for earpads, and being able to easily replace the earpads is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the QC 35s.

Earpads are available in Japan. For example this website:
http://www.yodobashi.com/%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8B%E3%83%BC-SONY-X25935181-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%83%89-%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3/pd/100000001003370349/

Also searched information from Amzon's mdr-1000x Q&A:
Question:
How do you replace the ear pads ?

Answer:
Hi ---, replacement earpads are available, but we suggest checking with your nearest Sony dealer on how to replace it. Thanks, -Mark 
By Sony U. MANUFACTURER  on November 23, 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Back