Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 17, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #1,486 of 2,709
Nice comparison. I own both these headphones. I personally find bass definition, punch, and transparency better on the Sony. Bass is a tad loose on the P7. I agree with the better treble extension , and greater bass quantity on the P7. Not really sure how anyone can make a definitive comparison between headphones with limited listening time in a noisy environment. But anyway, that's my opinion.

The P7 and P7 wireless SQ is totally different.
I demoed the P7 in a shop before i bought it and left unimpressed. (They didn't have a P7 Wireless on demo and convinced me that the P7 sounds the same as the wireless one)

When I got the P7 Wireless, boy it was different altogether.

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #1,487 of 2,709
The P7 and P7 wireless SQ is totally different.
I demoed the P7 in a shop before i bought it and left unimpressed. (They didn't have a P7 Wireless on demo and convinced me that the P7 sounds the same as the wireless one)

When I got the P7 Wireless, boy it was different altogether.
I own the p7 wireless. The post was about the p7 wireless.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #1,488 of 2,709
Hello
For the ones who are looking for deals, i was able to grab a 1000X at 260EUR (+ 20 eur shipping fee) on amazon.fr last night (thanks again for the poster who provided the link to camelcamel).
Price with tax was 315EUR but as i live outside EU, i could buy them Tax free

Only drawback is that i need to wait for 3 weeks to receive them and any return could be complex to manage.

I will try to go to the sonystore this week but has anyone compared them with the ZIK? I use to own a Zik 2.0 but while NC was great i didn't find them very confortable and i found the SQ average so i didn't keep them. Hope the 1000X will be better on those points

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #1,489 of 2,709
Comfort on the Sony's is better than on the Zik 1.0 or Zik 3.0 (I never had a Zik 2.0).
ANC of the Sony's really blows the Zik out of the water, and the same goes for SQ! 

In my opinion, SQ of the Sony is far better in all regions. Better low-end response (nicely textured), clearer and better defined mids and the highs have less 'harshness' (I found the Zik's to be rather harsh).

Kind regards,

Ric

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #1,490 of 2,709
hi guys, as much as i like this headphone. in certain songs it produces obvious distortion in wireless mode. no aptx and no ldac. this is not the case with my other bt non aptx headphones. hear for yourself. boris blenn - jazzaloid, the synth pads right in the beginning. same wit the iphone of my gf which is supposed to have aac. in wired mode everything is fine.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #1,491 of 2,709
hi guys, as much as i like this headphone. in certain songs it produces obvious distortion in wireless mode. no aptx and no ldac. this is not the case with my other bt non aptx headphones. hear for yourself. boris blenn - jazzaloid, the synth pads right in the beginning. same wit the iphone of my gf which is supposed to have aac. in wired mode everything is fine.

I noticed this too. But only on few songs at near-max volume from my iphone. Wired works flawlessly.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #1,492 of 2,709
For me it is not volume dependent. Maybe it becomes more obvious with higher volume.
I listen at medium volume most of the time, becaus of the great NC.
In the song I mentioned it is very obvious. I'm not sure what the cause is.
Maybe it is sony's weird build in DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) HX.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,493 of 2,709
  I needed a pair of NC cans, so I picked up a QC35 & 1000x (they apparently have the best NC out of all of them). So, here is my comparison with the QC35...

The short end of it? - SQ wise, the 1000x's have a low volume threshold, and distort very easily. Anything with strong bass will make them distort (Daft Punk - "Giorgio by Morodor", for instance) - This was the killer for me. Wired/Wireless, NC on/off, it didn't matter. Also, the treble is a bit recessed. While it reduces sibilance, it makes them sound a little congested. The QC35 however, are very balanced, have better clarity, and have a higher volume threshold. - The comfort is good, but no where as comfy as the QC35. - The gesture functions and NC/Ambient features were very impressive and cool. The NC is about 10% more effective than the QC35, but it comes with a slight audible white noise hiss that the QC35 does not have. Also, the vacuum pressure on the eardrum is a stronger with the QC35. Both are awesome with NC though. - Battery life, and BT range is about equal. So, those features are a non-factor.

I really loved the QC35, from the moment I put them on. I tried to love the 1000x, but was like..."Ehh..."

It's a toss up of preference, and what features you'd like. but for me, the QC35 wins. I wanted the best NC but also a good sound, and the QC35 beats the 1000x in that regard. I find it very puzzling that many people think the Sony's sound better. Maybe in the mids, there is more fullness, but its not as even as the QC35, and the volume just craps out too easily.  

You might have a defective unit. I had similar problem on one side, about which I wrote earlier. It sounds as if there was some loose metal part or air escaping between some soft materials (not sure if that was the case, but that's the best way I can describe it). The other side worked flawlessly with the volume range I tried. I sent them for repair, but that would have taken waaaaay too long, so I now have returned them for exchange, even though that ends up costing me the shipping.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #1,494 of 2,709

I'm quoting myself, because I did some more research.
To me it looks like that there has to be some distortion in the song already and the 1000x somehow emphazise the distortion in wireless mode even more, which makes sublte distortion very obvious.
Well that's my theory so far.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,495 of 2,709

You might have a defective unit. I had similar problem on one side, about which I wrote earlier. It sounds as if there was some loose metal part or air escaping between some soft materials (not sure if that was the case, but that's the best way I can describe it). The other side worked flawlessly with the volume range I tried. I sent them for repair, but that would have taken waaaaay too long, so I now have returned them for exchange, even though that ends up costing me the shipping.

Its not a problem with the left or right side, that I have. It's the distortion threshold. It breaks up too easily. Try Daft Punk - "Giorgio by Morodor". Put a slight fun smiley V-shape EQ on it. These headphones will distort before you get to max volume. I don't think its a defective unit. However, if someone that has used both the QC35 & 1000x, can chime in, that would be helpful. I just think that the 1000x can't handle bass very well. As a matter of fact, the QC35 goes deeper and has a stronger Bass than the 1000x I have. If multiple sources can claim this to be abnormal, I'll exchange for another set. - However, I still don't like the recessed treble of the 1000x. I think that this SQ characteristic is consistent in all reviews. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,496 of 2,709
I mean Generally, Not Post the update. I'm trying to make a purchase decision and We in India cannot buy a product and return it if we aren't satisfied. We have Zero return policy.

So I wanna know whether we can enhance the bass using equalizers, If I feel the bass is low. I had the chance to listen to these cans only once and the song was "mind" from Kai ft skrillex and in high volume i felt distortion on the bass. SO can any one tell me whether there is any distortion in bass on these headphones and whether it hold s good to EQ

Also please share ur opinion on the Sound stage

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #1,497 of 2,709
I mean Generally, Not Post the update. I'm trying to make a purchase decision and We in India cannot buy a product and return it if we aren't satisfied. We have Zero return policy.

So I wanna know whether we can enhance the bass using equalizers, If I feel the bass is low. I had the chance to listen to these cans only once and the song was "mind" from Kai ft skrillex and in high volume i felt distortion on the bass. SO can any one tell me whether there is any distortion in bass on these headphones and whether it hold s good to EQ

Also please share ur opinion on the Sound stage
As a fellow Indian :) I should say that I sold mine yesterday. It was only a week since I bought it. My reasons for selling it are:

1. The bass distorts in some songs on near-high volume from my iPhone. It is clear that the headphones cannot handle the low end smoothly and starts to distort when the bass goes very deep. This happens only in the wireless mode though.

2. The microphone is very bad. This I couldn't test in the store since it was very loud. Even in quieter environment, the microphone is very bad.

3. Comfort. Initially the comfort was fine when I tested many headphones in the store. But after I bought them they are very uncomfortable atleast for me. The pads are very small for my ears and gets quite hot even in freezing temperatures in Germany.

4. Bluetooth connectivity issues with iPhone. This is the real bummer. Every time I turn on my headphones I have to manually connect the headphones even when iPhone remembers the device. This never happens with my old jabra Bluetooth headset.

5. The touch controls. (Not a real issue) While they are really nice to have, sometimes it could be annoying when you try to remove or adjust the headphones holding both sides, you tend to forget the touch controls and there goes the next song. A simple hardware button will still work.

The soundstage isn't impressive. I wouldn't expect much from a closed can. But the sound quality ( minus the distortion) is great. They sound balanced than the other Bluetooth cans. The treble is a bit recessed and the slight low end emphasis leads to a bit darker sound.

If you listen to a lot of edm, rap, hip hop music then stay away.

I switched to my good old etymotic hf3s and the sound quality is surely better than my hd 600s.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #1,498 of 2,709
Heard a couple of comments about bass distortion on the 1000x. I have literally experienced zero bass distortion even on max volume on bass heavy tracks. Having said that, I don't apply eq because I like the sound as is. If these people are experiencing distortion and are applying eq, how many db are you adding? Adding too much eq will make ANY headphone distort.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,499 of 2,709
Heard a couple of comments about bass distortion on the 1000x. I have literally experienced zero bass distortion even on max volume on bass heavy tracks. Having said that, I don't apply eq because I like the sound as is. If these people are experiencing distortion and are applying eq, how many db are you adding? Adding too much eq will make ANY headphone distort.

I never use the EQ. I don't listen to bass heavy music either but it still distorts. Like the other user mentioned, it could with the Sony's DSEE algorithm. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #1,500 of 2,709
A few people have been promoting the P7 wireless here. Seems a bit weird to me seeing it's a thread for Sony. Do you go to every unrelated thread and do the same? Serious question.
Anyway, I personally even prefer to listen to my 30mm drivered Soho Wireless rather than my P7 wireless. Will be selling the P7 very shortly. The sound is way better balanced on the Harmon Kardon. Bass is overblown, and mids recessed on the B&W. The treble is done pretty well, but the whole experience is ruined by the uneven balance and inferior definition overall. Just my take, natch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back