Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 3, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #1,321 of 2,709

It's not just the software though.  The hardware DAC used by Apple is not capable of playing back hi-res audio.  If you have hi-res capable hardware, then you need a hi-res capable player such as PowerAmp or Sony Music to take advantage of it when decoding DSD or hi-res FLAC.

of course. which is why iphone users like me use dacs like the ha-2 for our dsd/high res decoding. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #1,323 of 2,709
Hey guys, after some more testing something is just weird with the 1000x.
When I use them with BT (no apt-x, no LDAC) there are some really nasty artefacts in some songs.
For example: Astrix - Liquid Gold (orginal mix), already in the first few seconds of the intro. Very obvious.

No artefacts when used wired. I thought it has to do with the bad sbc codec. Though when I compared it to my
p7 wireless which also defaults to just SBC codec there aren't those kind of artefacts. 

I wonder if an apt-x enabled source solves this problem? Would be happy if someone could test this.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #1,324 of 2,709

When I use them with BT (no apt-x, no LDAC) there are some really nasty artefacts in some songs.
For example: Astrix - Liquid Gold (orginal mix), already in the first few seconds of the intro. Very obvious.

No artefacts when used wired. Would be happy if someone could test this.

Hmm couldn´t hear any artefacts in this song. Neither SBC, nor Aptx or cable.

Can you specify the seconds and suscribe more ?

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #1,325 of 2,709
it's already there at 0:01-0:18. Sounds like some weird screechy ringing to me which sits above the otherwise pure tone.
Thank you for testing :)

I also noticed this when testing with the iphone of my gf.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #1,326 of 2,709
Can anyone out there compare these to something like the Sennheiser Momentum over ears in terms of sound quality?

Been using momentum 1.0 + soundblaster Bluetooth dac for the last couple of years and feel like I want to upgrade.

I don't want the momentum wireless because they don't have AAC I don't think.

Also considering the B&W p7 wireless although these don't have noise cancelling.

Am interested in how well the ambient noise works, if I wear them on the sofa and my wife talks to me could I hear what she says?

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,327 of 2,709
Can anyone out there compare these to something like the Sennheiser Momentum over ears in terms of sound quality?

Been using momentum 1.0 + soundblaster Bluetooth dac for the last couple of years and feel like I want to upgrade.

I don't want the momentum wireless because they don't have AAC I don't think.

Also considering the B&W p7 wireless although these don't have noise cancelling.

Am interested in how well the ambient noise works, if I wear them on the sofa and my wife talks to me could I hear what she says?
Just a quick answer. The 1000x is about on par with the m2 wired. However, I think the Sony is more transparent. It's better than m2 wireless (lows overpower highs on the Senns), and is more balanced than the P7, which has slightly elevated lows, but the P7 has better treble extension. All IMO natch :wink:

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #1,328 of 2,709
Just a quick answer. The 1000x is about on par with the m2 wired. However, I think the Sony is more transparent. It's better than m2 wireless (lows overpower highs on the Senns), and is more balanced than the P7, which has slightly elevated lows, but the P7 has better treble extension. All IMO natch
wink.gif

Thanks very much - that's good to hear!

One more question, none of the other reviews seem to mention it, however this one talks about bad sound leakage when noise cancelling is switched on.

Is that true? I would be using these on the train and tube a lot, I definitely don't want other people hearing my music... that's one of the things I like about my wired momentum 1.0s

http://www.gizbot.com/accessories/reviews/sony-mdr-1000x-review-bose-better-watch-out-sony-s-best-is-here/gallery-cl8-036631.html

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,330 of 2,709
Anyone think these would leak sound? With the headphones off my head, I was able to hear the music quite loudly. This could potentially be annoying to people sitting next to you. Anyone else finding this the case?

EDIT: Just saw someone above make that complaint. I definitely hear them leaking audio for me.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,332 of 2,709
I have had a pair of black UK 1000x since November and used them on a daily basis, in all kinds of environment (noisy and quiet, indoor and outdoor).  I have to say that they are by far the best pair of wireless noise-cancelling headphones I have heard.  I also had a pair of Bose QC35 and momentum 2 wireless - the Sony is vastly superior to the Bose in terms of SQ to these ears (both have good noise cancelling).  It's closer between the Sony and the Senn M2 Wireless.  There is no doubt that the noise cancelling is much better on the Sony, and I prefer the sound signature of the Sony (slightly brighter top end, great soundstage).  Just my 2pence worth, but I think these are my current favourite headphones for out and about use!

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #1,333 of 2,709
I have a few pair of sony headphones ( 770BN 1ABT, 1A and now 1000x ) and the sound leaking is pretty much in the very same order from a some to none. I have been working in a open office (200+ people) and literally every direction to me someone is sitting and had zero complain about noise bleeding. I have fall in love with the NC features it offers, as I hate taking the headphones off for a few second conversation
ANC however can be a bit odd to use with wired in-line microphone ( V - Moda BoomPro ) during a conference calls, I have been listening some ambient music to release that pressure.

Also a question: anyone has a reasonably priced portable DAC recommendation to pair with 1000x and it's features? ( aptx/ldac ) on android phone and windows PCs 

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,334 of 2,709
Do any UK based Members know which stores stock these for demo, I have purchased a lot of my headphones blind, but these would need a careful listen before a decision. I have a Sony Z5 which supports LDAC so it would be good to test that aspect.
Thanks, Jim.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,335 of 2,709
Do any UK based Members know which stores stock these for demo, I have purchased a lot of my headphones blind, but these would need a careful listen before a decision. I have a Sony Z5 which supports LDAC so it would be good to test that aspect.
Thanks, Jim.

I did auditioned the cans at John Lewis (Oxford st, London) several times so I suppose their other stores should also have, other stores I would recommend to visit are Currys/PC World and Dixons Travel (at Airports). Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back