Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 26, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #901 of 2,709
Absolutely, its still there just less noticeable especially for anyone who is really affected by that effect. BTW the 550 also suffers with the artifact thing with closing doors. It is better than my QC30 and 100ABN but still exists. The QC30 is really bad, startling me every time I forget to take them out of my ears before I close the car door. The 100ABN suffers artifacts from Train doors and even elevators but the 550 is almost unnoticeabke in those instances.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #902 of 2,709
So, returned the MDR-1000x and got the PXC 550 in its place. Some early comparisons so far:

Sound

The PXC 550 is more bass-oriented, but also more treble-hot. More V-shaped compared to the Sony. However, soundstage is quite superior on the PXC 550. Both are markedly better than the QC35.

Build

As stated before, my MDR-1000x had creaking problems. Worse, the second pair I returned had some hairline cracks near where the screws go. Never heard anyone else have problems, so I'll dismiss that. The PXC 550 is much lighter, which gives the impression that it's more cheaply built. However, I digress: tolerances are much tighter and despite the plastic, absolutely no creaking or cracking noises at all.

Aesthetics

The MDR-1000x is chunky and fat: the pictures really don't do it justice. The PXC 550, however, is slim and long. Personally, I prefer the PXC 550 by a country mile: the sleek matte exterior is much more palatable to me compared to the faux leather finish. However, I prefer the MDR-1000x's leather pads appearance: they appear much more 'sculpted' compared to the rough finish on the PXC 550.

Comfort

PXC 550 all the way. The MDR-1000x consistently touched my left ear, whereas the PXC 550 is much thicker and thus never had such a problem. Also important to note that the design of the shape is important to consider: the PXC 550 is wider on the top than the bottom, thus accommodating the ear better. That being said, the MDR-1000x is not what I'd consider 'uncomfortable', just that the PXC 550 is even more so. Also helped by the fact that the PXC 550 is incredibly light and has substantial headband padding.

I find that the MDR-1000x seems to be designed with bigger heads in mind, as I only had to use 2 clicks on either side for best fit. The PXC 550, on the other hand, required me to go beyond the half-way point.

Controls

The MDR-1000x has flawless gesture recognition. Really, it's insanely accurate, and it's never misinterpreted my gestures. The PXC 550, less so, but still very accurate. However, the PXC 550 has a lot​ more gestures, so much so there's a 48 page manual available for it. I especially like how a double tap instantly turns on the external mic and stops your music, far superior to holding your right hand over the cup for the MDR-1000x. Both are excellent.

NC ability

Ultimately, the MDR-1000x is superior when no music is playing. Once music is playing, that advantage disappears, and both do a very good job. In addition to the NC, the MDR-1000x also has 'ambient' modes, which turns on the microphones and allows either all frequencies or frequencies centred around voices to be passed through. Very useful.

However, the PXC 550 has an adjustable level of NC, which is great for those who feel less need for NC and more relief from the 'pressure' effect. Both cups have it, though the PXC 550 has quite a bit less of it. The PXC 550 also has an ambient mode (TalkThrough) which picks up everything.

Accessories

The MDR-1000x has the superior carrying case, being a rigid box. However, it was also bulky and couldn't really store anything besides the flight adapter in it as it has no internal pockets. The outside pockets are, frankly, a joke: they could barely contain the headphone cable, let alone the charging cable. The PXC 550 is semi-rigid, but has internal carrying pockets to carry everything.

Both have a headphone cable, flight adapter and a charging cable. The PXC 550's headphone cable is a 2.5mm jack, which while not as common as a 3.5mm jack, is still quite common. However, it also comes with a 1/4" adapter. Also important to note is that the MDR-1000x's cable does not have mic controls, so it's essentially a dumb headphone when you connect the cable in. Personally, I prefer the aesthetics and feel of the MDR-1000x cable, being very anti-prone to knotting, however I'd prefer a mic cable.

USB cable is a USB cable: both are type B. The PXC 550's one is longer, as it allows you to listen while charging. The MDR-1000x turns itself off when you're charging it.

App

The MDR-1000x has no app for it. The PXC 550, however, has an app which has a gimmicky UI but allows you to customise features of the headphones which are unique to it. Inside it, you can adjust the Smart Pause feature (which is amazing IMO) as well as the various DSP modes (honestly, pretty pointless unless you're listening to podcasts or audiobooks).

Conclusion

As much as I loved the MDR-1000x's NC ability, hefty build and excellent carrying case, ultimately the creaking was the deal-breaker as well as its weight. Funnily enough, the PXC 550 costed me more in the end of the day due to the substantial discount I got for the MDR-1000x. Provided that the creaking is just an unlucky occurrence, both headphones more than punch their weight and provide excellent sound with excellent NC. Both will be excellent (albeit expensive!) purchases.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #904 of 2,709
Thanks for the comparison Dazzerfong you answered all my suspicions since I have not been able to try the 1000X. I am now 100% sure the PCC550 is the right choice for me. Would you mind posting your impressions in either the http://www.head-fi.org/t/813207/transform-your-journey-sennheiser-pxc-550-wireless-headphones-deliver-long-haul-performance-and-a-smart-travel-experience/180#post_13020452 or the review impression thread.

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #905 of 2,709
It's been a while since I have been around here. Glad that the force (and sound), is strong with my fellow Head-Fi'ers.

I'm currently in the market for a pair of ANC headphones and I'm just stuck. Can't decide between the QC 35 and the 1000X.
The 1000X can be had for $340 here in Denmark and the QC 35 are actually actually a little more expensive at $350. The 35s also have a higher retail price than the 1000X over here.

I'm only going to use them when commuting by train/bus and traveling by plane. I reckon I won't be using them at home or outdoors even. I already have a pair of GR07 IEMs and a pair of Grado headphones for home usage which actually happens rarely. Sadly they won't help me to cancel out the background noise when listening to music on the move. Been using my GR07s, and they do sound lovely, but they're just not up for the task in loud environments.

I'm already listening to music in lossy formats when on the go (Spotify/Tidal/TuneIn), through my Huawei P9 so I don't need the headphones to reproduce audiophile sound quality. The ANC and comfort are first priority, then sound. Never heard Bose before - other than their SoundLink Mini - but if their sound signature is anything like the SL Mini then I might pass. Just to 'artificial' for my liking. The QC 35 might surprise me though. What I do like about them is the comfort. That, and that they're kind of no-nonsense. They just work.

However, some say they miss their mark when playing bass and drum heavy tracks. I listen to all genres except death metal and mostly to soul, R&B, hiphop/rap and rock.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #906 of 2,709
So I just returned the Sony. I did fix the creaking completely with dry lube but the right can started to have an intermittent hissing sound. Overall I really liked them but I am a little bit worried in regards to QC on these cans. Now I have to decide between the Sennheiser PXC 550 or getting a new pair of Sonys.
For me sound quality is very important. For somebody that has tried both, is the sound quality comparable between the 2 (including wired)? I thought the sound quality on the Sonys was amazing.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #907 of 2,709
MDR1000x volume

I see a lot of people complain that the MDR100x are too low. I find that they are extremely efficient and loud. I use them on an iPhone 6 and am always around 50-55% volume. On Bose I have to turn volume up between 80-90%.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #908 of 2,709
So I just returned the Sony. I did fix the creaking completely with dry lube but the right can started to have an intermittent hissing sound. Overall I really liked them but I am a little bit worried in regards to QC on these cans. Now I have to decide between the Sennheiser PXC 550 or getting a new pair of Sonys.
For me sound quality is very important. For somebody that has tried both, is the sound quality comparable between the 2 (including wired)? I thought the sound quality on the Sonys was amazing.
dazzerfong mentioned the sonic differences and said they were comparable quality wise. While I have not heard the 1000X I do own the 100ABN and the 550 is at least as good music wise as them and is actually good enough I have been using the 550 pretty much exclusively on the go. The 550 really is close to the 1000X technologically speaking and has a few more features too. Both are great though as is the Bose QC35. If you look I have posted a review of the 550, beteen it and dazzerfong's comparison hopefully that's enough to help.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #909 of 2,709
The QC 35 might surprise me though. What I do like about them is the comfort. That, and that they're kind of no-nonsense. They just work.

However, some say they miss their mark when playing bass and drum heavy tracks. I listen to all genres except death metal and mostly to soul, R&B, hiphop/rap and rock.

QC35 bottom end is actually very good - enough to cause pressure waves in your head... :)
I have tested the Senn 550's and various Sony's (not the 1000x though) against the QC35, none have that bass slam that the QC35's have.
BUT - I can't cope with the mids and top end of the QC35's - too harsh & gritty for me...

QC35 comfort is unbeatable but my B&W P7W's leave any ANC cans for dead from a SQ POV....

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #910 of 2,709
QC35 bottom end is actually very good - enough to cause pressure waves in your head... :)
I have tested the Senn 550's and various Sony's (not the 1000x though) against the QC35, none have that bass slam that the QC35's have.
BUT - I can't cope with the mids and top end of the QC35's - too harsh & gritty for me...

QC35 comfort is unbeatable but my B&W P7W's leave any ANC cans for dead from a SQ POV....

Disagree about the slam: if slam is all you want, you can tune the PXC 550 to have it within their sound modes.

Sound signature is the biggest difference between the 1000x and PXC 550. The Sony is arguably more 'balanced' though.

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #911 of 2,709
Disagree about the slam: if slam is all you want, you can tune the PXC 550 to have it within their sound modes.

Sound signature is the biggest difference between the 1000x and PXC 550. The Sony is arguably more 'balanced' though.

Agreed.  I also found that the 1000x has a more balanced presentation.  

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #912 of 2,709
I actually suspected that as well. Because I like added bass the 550 and actually the 100ABN work better for me.

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #913 of 2,709

Thanks for the reply, Graham & co.

I like the P7 and its luxurious feel - although it's on the heavy side. I wish both the MDR-1000X and QC35 sport real leather rather than faux. I guess all the money went into developing the ANC. 

One thing that worries me about the 1000X is actually all the impressive tech SONY has managed to cram into the 1000X (same goes for Senn 550). I don't know, but my mind is telling me that it makes it more fragile somehow.

I really need to audition the QC35 to hear what the midrange and treble weaknesses are about.

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #915 of 2,709

One thing that worries me about the 1000X is actually all the impressive tech SONY has managed to cram into the 1000X (same goes for Senn 550). I don't know, but my mind is telling me that it makes it more fragile somehow.

I really need to audition the QC35 to hear what the midrange and treble weaknesses are about.

You may find the QC35's mid/treble OK - most people do, I seem to be the only one that finds them irritable and that's only with poorly recorded low quality early 60's & 70's stuff, more recent stuff sounds really good to me but they seem very unforgiving (gritty sibilance) with poor recordings, again IMHO....
The P7's in comparison are very smooth across the mids/top but perhaps have just a shade too much upper-bass boost with some recordings.

I personally wouldn't buy the Sony's - too many not-so-good reports of creaking/hiss and other foibles - I would also be worried about the amount of tech crammed into them - not sure but I think that with no power they sound a bit ordinary? 
The P7's in comparison will sound exactly the same without any power and they seem to be designed to last longer than just the warranty period - have been bitten may times with Sony stuff dying just outside the warranty... :frowning2:

The Senn 550's still interest me a lot - I might have to try and find a pair for an extended listen - I only managed to play with them for 10mins or so but didn't find them as impressive as my QC35's at the time. The audio quality of the QC35's is really beginning to bug me when I play my old recordings, the P7's are much more tolerant for this stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back