Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #437 of 2,709

1ABT's bass is much different than the 1As...not nearly as loose or as bloated.  The 1ABT sound significantly better IMO.

Yes, I have to agree about the 1As bass, it was nice at lower volumes, and or with less bass centric music, but at higher volumes and or with bassy music it quickly became messy bass. I moved from the 1A to the KEF M500 which I felt was a significant step upward in bass quality. I am curious about the 1ABT now, you would think the drivers and the dampening/cabinet were almost identical so what about the 1ABT design do you think was responsible for the improvement you heard?

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #438 of 2,709
  Yes, I have to agree about the 1As bass, it was nice at lower volumes, and or with less bass centric music, but at higher volumes and or with bassy music it quickly became messy bass. I moved from the 1A to the KEF M500 which I felt was a significant step upward in bass quality. I am curious about the 1ABT now, you would think the drivers and the dampening/cabinet were almost identical so what about the 1ABT design do you think was responsible for the improvement you heard?

They look identical, so I can only assume that the bass ports at the top are modified slightly to get rid of some of the bloat and boominess.  I just wish I could find a noise cancelling headphone w/ the same sound profile.  Looks like I'm going to have to try the B&W everyone raves about.

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #439 of 2,709
I just listened to (apple lossless) music with the 1000x plugged into the iPad Pro with the supplied cable at home (it's quiet). And it sounds *really* amazing. So much better than BT! Bass and guitar are more punchy. Soundstage seems so different: sound seems to come from everywhere, yet very detailed. Nice experience. I'll try again tomorrow on my way to work. Has anyone else noticed this difference? Wired vs BT?

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #440 of 2,709

1ABT's bass is much different than the 1As...not nearly as loose or as bloated.  The 1ABT sound significantly better IMO.

​At best, slightly different, but nowhere near 'significantly better' for me. Had a test side-by-side at a Sony store, was inconclusive at best. Similar enough for me to just classify them as 'pretty much the same'.

http://www.sam.hi-ho.ne.jp/t-suzuki/audio_headphones/sony_mdr-1abt.html
http://www.sam.hi-ho.ne.jp/t-suzuki/audio_headphones/sony_mdr-1a.html

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #441 of 2,709

​At best, slightly different, but nowhere near 'significantly better' for me. Had a test side-by-side at a Sony store, was inconclusive at best. Similar enough for me to just classify them as 'pretty much the same'.

http://www.sam.hi-ho.ne.jp/t-suzuki/audio_headphones/sony_mdr-1abt.html
http://www.sam.hi-ho.ne.jp/t-suzuki/audio_headphones/sony_mdr-1a.html

"at a sony store"...oh okay.

I own(ed) both at the same time...lots and lots of testing in my quiet home office.  It's what I found.  And most have come to the same conclusion as well if they've actually owned both.  Sony tweaked them for sure.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #442 of 2,709
I just listened to (apple lossless) music with the 1000x plugged into the iPad Pro with the supplied cable at home (it's quiet). And it sounds *really* amazing. So much better than BT! Bass and guitar are more punchy. Soundstage seems so different: sound seems to come from everywhere, yet very detailed. Nice experience. I'll try again tomorrow on my way to work. Has anyone else noticed this difference? Wired vs BT?

Not to be an ass, but that really sounds like expectation bias at work. Now it is possible that the DAC and amp section in the iPad Pro are better for your tastes, that is possible of course, maybe even probable. Have you used that iPad for long with other headphones?

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #443 of 2,709

"at a sony store"...oh okay.

I own(ed) both at the same time...lots and lots of testing in my quiet home office.  It's what I found.  And most have come to the same conclusion as well if they've actually owned both.  Sony tweaked them for sure.

"for me"

No need to be snide. We get it, you have golden ears.

FWIW, I'm talking about cabled mode. In BT mode, it's quite a bit more different: I think Sony put a bit of an EQ on it or something when it's run through Bluetooth.
When I mean 'inconclusive', I mean 'dunno if the 1ABT or the 1A sounds better, just a tad different'. Compared both in wired both to make sure it wasn't EQ tricks making all the difference.

I put the differences to the fact that the hollow chamber in the 1A is no longer hollow, instead packed with all the Bluetooth parts (DAC, amp, Bluetooth receiver, batteries), and is it different? Yes. Is it significantly different? Not really. Not quite a completely different headphone. Yes, you can tell them apart, just like how you can tell if someone flicked the EQ switch while you're playing music.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the 1A, it's just that my bass preferences have changed over time a bit. I usually take everything <100Hz down 6dB when I'm using it to reduce the bloat a bit. If it's a quiet environment, I don't need it then. For reference, I think the HD600 has anaemic bass, and the HD700 about right for me.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #444 of 2,709
  "for me"

No need to be snide. We get it, you have golden ears.

I absolutely do not, because I can't explain a damn thing about sound profiles and whatnot, but I can tell the difference between two headphones that I've used for 50+ hours each.  It's significant, even if graphs and quick listens in a store don't reveal the differences.  Not being snide at all...just curious how you can come up with a definitive conclusion in a store.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #445 of 2,709

I absolutely do not, because I can't explain a damn thing about sound profiles and whatnot, but I can tell the difference between two headphones that I've used for 50+ hours each.  It's significant, even if graphs and quick listens in a store don't reveal the differences.  Not being snide at all...just curious how you can come up with a definitive conclusion in a store.

The same way you can tell if you flicked the EQ switch on and off. Except in my case, I had the guy yank the headphone off my head and put another one on pretty much instantaneously. Both were in wired mode, so that might've been why I could barely tell the difference. Once it was in BT mode, differences were substantial enough for me to say there's EQ going on.

Having it for a long time means you can appreciate it more. However, it doesn't you mean you need a long time to determine differences. If there are significant differences, it'll be an instant click in your head. Again, for me that is.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #447 of 2,709
Not to be an ass, but that really sounds like expectation bias at work. Now it is possible that the DAC and amp section in the iPad Pro are better for your tastes, that is possible of course, maybe even probable. Have you used that iPad for long with other headphones?

I get your point. It's not really the wired connection that's better than BT (in general) but rather the iPad Pro (7.9 inches version if it matters?) that's way better than HTC phones or the iPhone 6 I've tested so far (wired).
Indeed the QC20 and fidelio m1 sound both better on the iPad Pro but none of them as good as the 1000x (wired).
Now that I found the best combination (for my ears) I'm not sure I could go back to BT with my mobile phone... sigh...

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #448 of 2,709

Hey buyu, just wanted to ask you, cant remember if i did before but what exactly is this limit ? and what exactly happens beyond this limit both wired with NC on and off and with bluetooth with NC on and off? Because with the QC 35s the bass cracks as if the speakers cant handle it. i guess i can handle a little bloated muddy bass but not when it crackles and falls apart as if the speakers were made of glass.  Also do these limits vary between NC on and NC off and wired or bluetooth or in other words within these combinations how is the limit ranked from lowest tolerance when things fall apart to highest tolerence ? 

I couldn't go above +10dB for lows, after that lows are starting to be cut and become heavily distorted. It's not a simle quality degradation on lows, it generates very disturbing sound. Can't even think anyone wants to / can listen this sound. 

This limit is not changed by NC, though wired vs wireless pushes the limit it just a little bit higher. So i believe both drivers and the A/D circuit have limits on that.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #449 of 2,709
I'm having fun with the wonderful sound after starting using Viper4Android with my 1000x. I'm not a person using equalizer or other sound processing tools with my wired headphones (Denon AH-D2000) and I can call myself as a "purist" when talking about headphones and music. BUT since I experienced that all bluetooth headphones uses sound processing methods in some amount, more all less, I ended up to modify the sound for my taste. With Viper4Android I'm having the best bass experience with 1000x that no equalizer could do before. Bass is absolutely tight and punchy, not excessive or muddy while mids and highs are still crisp and tasteful. I can call overall sound experience (including bass) much better than QC35.

Two of my friends also tested my 1000x tuned with Viper4Android and they confirmed this, too. Please guys, try Viper4Android with your 1000x with the settings I shared and share your ideas. I'm perfectly sure that you'll not be disappointed.

CLICK HERE for details about my Viper4Android settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back