Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 18, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #422 of 2,709
Second day of commuting with the 1000x and noticed lots of unpleasant artefacts. At first I thought it was due to bumps in the road. But after a while I realized it was coming from the roof and air was blowing from the air conditioning vents and directly affected the ANC through the external mics :/

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #423 of 2,709
Second day of commuting with the 1000x and noticed lots of unpleasant artefacts. At first I thought it was due to bumps in the road. But after a while I realized it was coming from the roof and air was blowing from the air conditioning vents and directly affected the ANC through the external mics :/

Wind going into the external mics is going to affect any ANC can. It was a problem with the QC35s, it's no different with the MDRs

...I'm not necessarily a bass head but when listening to hip hop and the like, it needs to have some low end.  My normal listening environment, in my office w/ no other sound, it's night and day.  Virtually no bass on the 1000Xs compared to the awesome bass of the 1ABTs....

I'm listening to some Drake on these and they sound fine. Not M-100 style bass by any means, but certainly not bass-shy. the earcups go behind your ears, like the 1ABTs, yes?

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #424 of 2,709
So I just received these today & the sound does seem a little different from my 1A-BT's I'm going to give them some burn in time to see if things change. 1 thing I noticed is when I was playing music, the light on the power indicator was only flashing once like it was on the lowest priority sound mode. With the 1A-BT's it would flash 3 times indicating it was on the highest sound mode. I don't see anything in the reference guide saying how to change the sound priority mode or even if it's possible & there's nothing on Sony's page yet for the 1000x's. Anybody else take notice of that?

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #426 of 2,709
Here is another review just in from the huffington post stating that its better than the QC35s but also saying the sound sig follows in similar vein as th P7 wireless albeit with less bass. Considering that i can always amp the bugger in wired mode to get more bass and have the excellent NCs for when in the office and airplane i guess there is no better at the moment for my needs. If only the P7 wireless had good NC !!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daryl-deino/bose-quietcontrol-30-and-_b_12483684.html 

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #427 of 2,709
  I'm listening to some Drake on these and they sound fine. Not M-100 style bass by any means, but certainly not bass-shy. the earcups go behind your ears, like the 1ABTs, yes?

Oh yeah of course.  The 1000x has a bit of bass, but it's no where near as satisfying as the 1ABT in my option.  The build quality seems really good and they are just as comfy as the 1ABT, so that's def not the issue.  Just a different sound sig that doesn't quite jive with me.  I use my headphones for gaming as well...so the ability to pump out some bass is definitely important for Battlefield 1, which I played a few hours of today w/ the 1ABTs wired to my Micca Origen+ on my PC.  Very satisfying.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #429 of 2,709
Considering that I felt that the 1A's bass was overwhelming, I think these cans might suit me just fine. Any place in Sydney where we can try them?

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #430 of 2,709
Has anyone every tried a bluetooth transmitter  with apt x attached to a portable headphone amp to amplify the sound ? So having the best of both worlds ? NCs and good SQ with more Bass. 

something like these ?

http://www.avantree.com/product-bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver-avantree-saturn-pro.html

And another glowing review from business insider comparing this to the Beo H8
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-headphones-for-travelers-sony-mdr1000x-2016-10?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #432 of 2,709

I tested 1000x in wired mode with Asus Xonar STX II and tested some bass heavy equalizer settings. I can say that there is a top limit for bass reproductions and when you exceed that limit bass gets muddy. I compared same with My Denon AH-D2000 headphones, and it can take all bass juice and responds well. Things are different for 1000x. But still I can confirm that, you can get a better bass response with wired + good amp + good tuned bass equalizer. 

Hey buyu, just wanted to ask you, cant remember if i did before but what exactly is this limit ? and what exactly happens beyond this limit both wired with NC on and off and with bluetooth with NC on and off? Because with the QC 35s the bass cracks as if the speakers cant handle it. i guess i can handle a little bloated muddy bass but not when it crackles and falls apart as if the speakers were made of glass.  Also do these limits vary between NC on and NC off and wired or bluetooth or in other words within these combinations how is the limit ranked from lowest tolerance when things fall apart to highest tolerence ? 

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #433 of 2,709
Because if they acknowledged it publicly, they would take a hit as people would return their pairs.

Yeah you're not wrong there. Still a little transparency wouldn't go a miss - I want to be a customer, but there's no way I'm going to keep "trying" till I find a pair without issue.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #434 of 2,709

Interesting, I didn't notice any creaking coming from the left cup, only the digital ANC crackle, and that was only coming from the right cup.  I validated this by trying in noisy environments vs quiet and with ANC on/off.  It seemed to happen during slight movements turning/tilting my head to the right - if I suddenly moved I wouldn't hear it, only slight movements.  I thought it was maybe my hair brushing the mics so I locked that down but I could still hear it, and every time: ANC on, no source, slight movement to the right, a very quiet click/crackle from the right cup.

To be honest I hadn't considered it to be the ANC. To me it sounded more like a hardware issue - something was moving and clicking in the ear cup itself. Also, I was able to replicate it by moving the rotating the ear cup, so I'm not sure how that could be interfering with the ANC.

Please reply back if you find any more conclusions, I'm interested to hear any!

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #435 of 2,709
  how do the B&W P7s compare to say the v modas m100 or wirelss in terms of bass and soundstage ? 

Never heard that V-moda, I owned the M80 and XS, but quite some time ago. I can tell you that the bass on the P7 is substantial, and of well controlled good quality. It is like a more capable MDR 1A without the loose control and going by memory, better extension down low. Some will of course find the mid-bass emphasis too much, but as I said, my feeling is that it has enough control and quality, while feeling integrated into the signature to make it a non-factor. I need more time with the P7, but the writing is on the wall in my mind that this is a very, very good BT portable. I may try the 1000X against it just to contrast, but the Sony would have to be exceptional to win this contest. And for those who are going to say this isn't OT in a 1000X thread, it is as people are often comparing multiple headphones so the information is relevant to them. It will be nice once more 1000X sets are out there and perhaps somebody who has the P7 would be able to directly compare.

Almost forgot, I believe the soundstage is good to very good, but that is of course subjective. The P7 seems very capable with seperation and placement so if the recording has good spatial cues the P7 should do a solid job rendering that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back