Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 16, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #346 of 2,709
So much talk about the p7 worked and p9 or h7 . But how to they compare to v Moda ? M100 or wireless ? That too me are excellent sounding cans with great bass .. I was hoping the Sony could come close but it seems not

The V-Moda Crossfade Wireless (or M100 wired) is clear winner in terms of thumping bass in almost every bass competition. A bit overwhelming to me, the Crossfade is very good in details but the signature is quite dark and the sound stage is a mess to my ears to the extent that sometimes I hate them. As the difference in taste, I suppose the 1000x will disappoint you.

Thanks for the thoughts on the PD/KEF Space One. I'm going to audition them in a few weeks vs. my B&O H8 when in Los Angeles. The parts you put as big pros sound like they will work for me potentially. The H8s are fine, but I fly a lot of long haul and something slightly more comfortable would be nice. The one thing about the B&O line is that it's real leather, not leatherette. I want wired, so that doesn't bother me. I wish the Space One was rechargeable like everything else. B&O got that design right plus it's a removable battery. Everything is a tradeoff. The H8 sounds good ANC on or off, and the KEF sounds like it may be as well.

What I'm trying to hold out for is that B&O may release  the H9, which is the ANC version of the H7. That would probably be very comfortable.

Unfortunately the Space One is not rechargeable, if I by I have to buy a separate rechargeable AAA and a charging kit, sounds dumb but thats the case.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #348 of 2,709
i have a wired headphone which is super awesome. I want a wireless and i read that sound of mdr1000x is close to p7. Is that true?

The H7 is wireless, that is how I used it 99% of the time, but sometimes people want to know how it sounds without the tuned DAC/amp section as when it is plugged into a source. The H7 is awesome both wireless, and wired. stupidly comfortable as well.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #349 of 2,709
Ok, so here's my amatuer review comparing the MDR-1000x to the Momentum 2 Wireless.  I will say right of the bat that I primarily want ANC bluetooth headphones for plane flights.  I commute via car and have 3 crazy kids at home, so there's not a lot of down time for me to sit and listen to good cans. 

Personal biases/further context - In addition to the M2, I own PSB M4U-2 and the Bose QC20.  In an ideal world, I'd want excellent ANC AND SQ, but we'll all know the holy grail doesn't exist quite yet.  Therefore, I'll sacrifice some ANC for better SQ (M2) over great ANC and average SQ (QC35).  I'll also admit a slight bias against the ubiquity of the QC35.  Every middle-aged (as am I) business traveler sports them in the airport.  My inner rebel steers me towards wanting something different.  Finally, my primary sources are an Ipad Mini and Iphone 6s, so I don't take advantage of aptx or the Sony LDAC.  

I'll likely gloss over details that are less important to me but here goes:

Build Quality/Fit/Features
1000x - I'll admit the plastic turned me off when I first opened them but the build quality is solid.  Pads are nice and soft, but my ears feel warm after wearing the 1000x for more than 10 min.  The clamp is noticeably stronger but that could just be a function of being new.  I really don't like how big the M2s carry and appreciate the nifty folding and small carrying case of the 1000x.  Quick Listen works by amplifying nearby sound and is as advertised.  However, I'd just as soon move the ear pad to hear what someone is saying.  I also noticed the vacuum seal feeling typical of ANC headphone whereas I don't with the M2.  I can't stand the blinking blue blinking power light.  It's obvious in a darkened room and would be in a darkened plane.  Finally, they leak more sound than than the M2.  My wife woke up while I was wearing them asking why I was playing music so loudly.  Never happened with the M2.
M2 - I have a slight bias towards the M2's retro design and pads.  I've owned them for a year and they look and feel new.  The M2s are comfortable on long flights with the exception of the headband starts to rub against my scalp.  I feel like the 1000x's better clamping might address this.  The M2s small buttons are not nearly as convenient as the 1000x cup features.  I've already complained about the size folded up. They carry twice as big as they need to be and take up too much room in my everyday bag.  

ANC
1000x - Good to Very Good and on-par with the QC20 save for the fact that I haven't tested on a plane.  Based on every review I read, no doubt they should outperform the M2. 
M2 - 75% of what the 1000x does.  I have a weird fit issue where the ANC is fine when facing forward but cancels out when I significantly move my head to the sides.  Other than that, I can live with the M2's ANC.    

Sound Quality
1000x - This is the deal killer.  Maybe it's hype and not having much experience with Sonys, but I was expecting better.  The sound is thin.  Ok mid-bass presence but barely anything in the lower registers.  I found myself upping the volume to get some bass and energy and I'm far from a bass-head.  They are fairly revealing in that my crappier recordings sounded just that.  Soundstage is decent and perhaps a touch airier than the M2 but I can't get past the overall poor SQ.
M2 - I've been fiddling with audio since the early 2000s and at this point in my life I just want to own stuff that let me enjoy music.  I don't care if they aren't the most technically revealing or have the latest bells and whistles.  The M2s tend to do that for me as did the M4U-2.  I like what the M2 does with voices and there's just a nice weight to the sound.  And the low end is good enough to keep my toes tapping.   

That's all I can report on right now.  I'll likely keep the 1000x another couple of weeks or at least until my next flight to see how they do on a plane, but likely to return these and wait for the holy grail.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #350 of 2,709
Really?

I'm pretty much down to b&w p7, sony 1000x and momentum 2 wireless. I don't care about ANC tbh, decent passive isolation is good enough.

I care about 4 things: sound quality, comfortable around ears, has onboard mic for phone-calls, and has to be wireless. Last 2 things most BT headphones have, if not all. Any suggestions between these 3?

Yes, I tested the momentums plenty of times but could not enjoy them much.

To me:
- SQ rank: P7, 1000x and M2AEBT.
- Comfort: 1000x, P7 and M2AEBT (p7 is a bit heavy while the momentums made my ears sweat after just one track)
The other two criteria I cannot comment as I didnt test those functions honestly.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #351 of 2,709
Ok, so here's my amatuer review comparing the MDR-1000x to the Momentum 2 Wireless.  I will say right of the bat that I primarily want ANC bluetooth headphones for plane flights.  I commute via car and have 3 crazy kids at home, so there's not a lot of down time for me to sit and listen to good cans. 

Personal biases/further context - In addition to the M2, I own PSB M4U-2 and the Bose QC20.  In an ideal world, I'd want excellent ANC AND SQ, but we'll all know the holy grail doesn't exist quite yet.  Therefore, I'll sacrifice some ANC for better SQ (M2) over great ANC and average SQ (QC35).

This is exactly the review I've been looking for. Our goals sound identical. I've owned Bose in the past and can't get excited about their sound. I've tried the M2 (not wireless) in the store and really liked them. I'm willing to give up some ANC performance for better sound and the Momentum Wireless seem to fit this goal perfectly. Sounds like I know what to buy. Thanks for the comparison.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #352 of 2,709
This is exactly the review I've been looking for. Our goals sound identical. I've owned Bose in the past and can't get excited about their sound. I've tried the M2 (not wireless) in the store and really liked them. I'm willing to give up some ANC performance for better sound and the Momentum Wireless seem to fit this goal perfectly. Sounds like I know what to buy. Thanks for the comparison.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the M2 wireless always have ANC active? I might be wrong, but that would give me pause for sure.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #354 of 2,709
That doesn't bother me if it sounds good with ANC on.

Fair enough, but regardless, when not needed you are hearing something added so for me anyway that was a deal breaker with the M2. Sad, as I really like everything else about them, but there are plenty of great BT options so I just moved along. Glad this isn't an issue for you mate, lucky.

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #355 of 2,709
http://www.whathifi.com/sony/mdr-1000x/review

Quote:
Drop lower down the frequency range and there’s plenty of weight, but it’s tightly controlled, and measured in its deployment. Play Drake’s Started From The Bottom and the bassline plummets to an impressive depth, but doesn’t sound overblown. You can almost feel the texture of each note as it reaches down and the Sonys dig out the detail.

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #357 of 2,709
is it true, you can´t use the 1000x only for NC without Music ?

I´ve read they turn off after 5 Minutes without Music ? That would not be nice.

I can now confirm that if the Bluetooth is not connected to any source, the headphones switch themselves off. If the Bluetooth is connected, with or without music, they do not switch off automatically.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #358 of 2,709
Just a note to say that I've compared the MDR-1000X to the QC25 with different kinds of background noise, including voices, a drill, banging, etc. and found no discernible difference in ANC. Without music coming in, there's a faint white noise in the Sony's that isn't present in the QC25s but it's barely noticeable. Music sounds livelier through the Sony's but I would not know how to describe the difference. I have experienced poor call quality with the MDR-1000X today, wired and via Bluetooth, but haven't been able to compare them with the QC25s in the same conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back